Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy Unk; here is an example of training!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We have the oldest and one of the most important Journalism Schools in the country. I get to meet the science writers in training. Here is an article by one such trained person. With a few minor exceptions, everything in the article is incorrect. How do I know? I have spent the last 1.5 months dealing with this for a major research University and 6 hospitals. That is why I am seldom here. I am in charge of this stuff.

Da'Bee

Have fun but we duz dew a good job of trainin these folks. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Best Wishes,,,,,,

Z

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Howdy Folks:

Yes, I have to leave again on business. Let us hope that the swarm of earthquakes betwixt Vancouver Is., Friday Harbour and Rockport, die down. I am a llittle gun-shy. In the last couple of decades, I have been stranded there by [in no particular order]; 1) eruption of a volcano; 2) major storm; 3) grounding of Alaskan Air; 4) Terrorist Attack in NY; 5)Earthquake. There may be more, but I have to pack for the night flight [img]biggrin.gif[/img] .

Best Wishes,,,,,

Z

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmmmm...with that track record, maybe I better run out to the store and do some quick panic shopping--we are getting low on tequila [img]wink.gif[/img]

Good luck on your trip [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Z ... take a roll of toilet paper this time.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Erstwhile-Z,

Without getting into the training vs education issue, I think it's fair to say that science reporters are semi-infamous for not being too accurate. One of my neurologist's pet-peeves is when a newspaper runs a story on a new treatment. The next day his office is always beseiged by calls. Invariably the newspaper article overplayed the issue or just plain got it wrong.

Of more interest to me is what, if anything, you can pass onto us sheeple about the current status of bio-terror. Is it an overblown issue or a realistic concern? What is the greatest vulnerability? What is the best source for up-to-date and accurate info?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow Z!

Not to be a smart-ass but, WTF does that article have to do with our so-called "training vs. education" debate?

Your point, insofar as I can tell from your cryptic verse, is that because this reporter was merely "trained" instead of being "educated", the facts suffered. Well whoop-dee-friggin-doo. My point, a point that seems to elude you, is that even "trained" people end up knowing more than people who have not been "trained", thus, pay close attention, they have, in fact, been "educated".

Inactive Member Peter Errington's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Z's reaction to the article is that the author, Edie Lau, has done a very poor job. I'm not convinced that she did a poor job.

First, it seems reasonably well-written. Second, I didn't see anything inherently implausible in the article.

Plausible need not mean error-free. Maybe the article is full of errors. Maybe also that's not her fault, but the fault of the people she talked to - Ostroff, Croddy, Foreman et al.

Inactive Member Peter Errington's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To snidely continue:

A person merely trained in the mechanics of journalism wouldn't be able to spot inherent implausibilities, as for example a claim that with present levels of technology this planet could support 20 billion people.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Peter:

Read the fucking legislation passed by Congress and signed by the President. You don't have to understand any science to understand that the author has never read it. As fer me, I be leavin on a jet plane.

Best Wishes,,,,,

Z

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Read the fucking

Sounds like Z had a bad day fighting the terrorist plague. Lots on his schedule, boss whining, president on hold, plane about to take off minus one Zmeister. Of course, one MIGHT be tempted to feel sorry for Z and his hectic lifestyle, BUT, bear in mind, he was trained for this sort of thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast