It was suggested that I point out some key phrases I use often, that, while lost on some people, are quite clear to others. So here goes. Feel free to ask for clarification or suggest other phrases you want clearing up.

?You drop him?. That means that whatever you just did to your opponent caused him to go down, and likely unconscious. It mean that if you have Cleave or a second strike, you can take it out on someone else. This should never be presumed to mean dead, because death does not occur until -10 in most cases.

?You find no traps?, ?Your search reveals nothing?, ?You don?t spot/hear anything?. These statements should never be taken to mean that there is nothing there. It merely means you did not detect whatever may be there.

?Your weapon does not appear to harm the creature? This can mean any number of things. Perhaps the creature is only affected by magical weapons, or those more magical than yours. It could have regeneration, be immune to the attack form, be under the affect of a Stoneskin spell, or simply have so many hit points that it notices your attack like you would notice a flea bite. Take into consideration all of these possibilities and don?t get hung up on just one. Certainly the DM will not tell you the ?why? of it all.

?You feel the hair rise at the back of your neck?, ?You feel a chill run down your spine?, ?You feel a sickness in the pit of your stomach and begin to sweat?. These descriptors may be used for any number of situations. Perhaps you are under the effect of a spell or poison. Maybe there is a spell-like ability going on, like a Dragon?s Frightful Presence or something from an undead. Maybe there is an evil being in the vicinity and you feel the negative energy. Or maybe it is just the ?storyteller? setting the mood for atmosphere and theatrical reasons. Will it make you paranoid and nervous? I hope so. But it may also be a time to review the spells you have prepared, or at the very least, look over your saving throws.

?Combat ends?, ?The encounter is over?. This is my way of saying that the curtain has dropped on the scene. The Initiative order has officially broken, and any new attacks will result in new rolls. Sometimes you may THINK it is over, but it really isn?t. Perhaps there is an invisible foe you didn?t sense. Maybe someone is only playing dead. Some monsters regenerate. Maybe there are characters who have stated intentions to pursue some action and timing is crucial. It could be that there is some spell in affect. Or it could just be that something is about to happen, and it is easier to keep the ?actions on? to avoid an entirely new set of unnecessary die rolls. If there is ever doubt, you can always ask me. But never assume action is over just because the next move is unclear.