Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I?m just killing time today, and thought you might be also. It's too hot to do anything productive, like sitting on the dock with Katy-the-Corgi. Kit?s been watching a tape of the ?Wizard of Oz?, lately, and it occurred to me what a truely great movie that is. It had wonderful special effects for the time, and enduring music. I still like to hear ?Over The Rainbow? (Jewel belts out a great version)

In the 50?s we watched it annually, as surely as Christmas or Thanksgiving. And we learned important things from it; there?s no place like home, we all have intellegence, compassion and courage, if we just look for them. And of course, the fact that only evil witches are ugly, and they melt when you throw water on them.

Here?s some trivia questions for you:

1. Who was the first ?hillbilly? chosen for the role of the tin man, but had a near-fatal reaction to the makeup?

2 We all knew the Kansas peddler and the Wizard were the same actor, but what other TWO roles did he play?

3. Who was first (very famous) actress courted for the role of Dorothy, and passed over, probably because of her image?

4. Who were the Munchkins known as, really (professionally, that is)?

5. Who was the actor that the young Judy Garland was romantically paired with? He played a major role in promoting the film, even though he wan?t in it.

6. What is the title of the remake (kinda), in the 70?s, with an all-black cast? (we like this one too!)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1. Buddy Ebsen

2. The doorkeeper of OZ and ... and ...

3. Shirley Temple

4. Little People

5. Mickey Rooney

6. The Wiz

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No fair, muley! I hate when people know everything I do, and spell it correctly to boot! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

#4 has a better answer - their professional troup name.

Only part credit for #2, and I forgot all about the doorman of OZ. He actually playd FIVE roles - two more to go!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh, and didn't you love "The Wiz"? Dianna Ross made a "supreme" Dorothy, with then-little Michael Jackson as the Scarecrow. Say what you will, that kid has talent. And one of my all time favorites, Nipsy Russel as the Tinman. And, and,..I forget who played the Lion, but he was great as well. The Wiz himself, was the all-powerful Richard Prior.

It all was set in a fantastical urban landscape, with an evil sweat-shop owner named Evileen. Her favorite saying (and song) was "Don't nobody bring me no bad news!" Gotta love her!

Inactive Member Jack Booted Thug's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He was also the driver of the coach with the horse of a different color the door keeper of the gate to the city and also the guard at the door to the wizard's hall.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

JBT, in acknowledgement of your superior intellect, we award you with this degree of ThD
    (Doctor of Thinkology)!

Inactive Member Paper or Plastic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Okay, I cheated on #4. According to one who was there, they were billed as the Singer Midgets. http://www.kansasoz.com/infomunchkins.htm

Lon, a couple of your recent topics remind me of how much I've missed your voice gracing these various fora(heehee, I learned the correct plural from Ken Decker). Good to see you posting.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 30, 2002 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Paper or Plastic ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Correct-o-mundo, PorP! Sorry but I already gave JBT the diploma, will you settle for this nifty emerald slippers?

I gotta come up with tougher quizes!

And thanks for the nice comment. I've always lurked around Unk's, but just started slumming here seriously since the FRL site is down again.

[img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Last summer, the Muny Opera in St. Louis did "The Wizard of Oz", with Ozzie Smith (the greatest defensive shortstop of ALL time) cast as the wizard. He brought the house down with this line: "I am the great Wizard of Oz...but my friends call me Ozzie." [img]wink.gif[/img]

Inactive Member Jack Booted Thug's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lon,

Are you trying to tell me that I don't have a brain?

Don't worry about pulling any punches because several posters have already reminded me of the fact.

Thanks for bringing a great memory to mind. The movie is a classic, even more so since we grew up with it. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast