Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

(I have a bit of time on my hands today, so here's another post) [img]cool.gif[/img]

What other kingdoms and lands are within Fangea, besides Talagon? I'm not asking to go further (as the whole nation is plenty big and full of opportunity) but I know that there are places beyond it where characters can come from etc.

I know that the late Taer (alas poor monk, we hardly knew ye [img]wink.gif[/img] ) came from the "Island of the Pearl" from far away. Aoborr's people (The semi nomadic Barbos) originally came from elsewhere (I suspect the lands north of Talagon proper, and he may yet try to conquer it for Seara...nothing says "Love" like seizing lands)before swearing alliance with the good king of Talagon.

Does Talagon have a rival or enemy nation?

Do the dwarves or elves consider themselves seperate and have their own kingdoms within a kingdom? I can see the dwarves having a pretty vast one actually since humans don't live underground.

I realize a lot of things are "open" so the DM can adjust things as he sees need or desires, but it just occured to me that there's a big world out there and even rumors about it might be something for our characters to talk about even if they don't come from outside the kingdom.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Some time ago, there was an adventure where the party destroyed an evil Dwarven cleric and rescued a Clan chieftain, so it would seem they are organized as a kingdom of sorts, and Hrothgar mentioned being allies with the Dwarves.

Elves, I have no idea. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dramavictim:
    What other kingdoms and lands are within Fangea, besides Talagon?

I have designed several worlds for D&D over the past 25 years. The one I used for second edition was so vast, that three of the continents were never even visited. My third edition world for TT is forming from the adventure sites, outwards, with the world growing as the adventure does, so as to not waste time developing stuff that won't get used if my game fails anytime soon. And let's face it, at 40, my time and energy are no longer limitless.

Originally, I had no plan to even make a map for CF, since the adventures were mostly unrelated. But as the game became successful (I think it has), the desire to add more spice and depth became clear, not just from my point of view, but also from the players'. So in order to inter connect plots and politics and such, I created the kingdom. I did this by going back and pouring over both my game notes (I write a seperate word file for each one...39 and counting) and the yahoo groups notices, and designed a world in which to put all of those places, adding flavor and life as I went along. Still, not knowing if the game might suddenly just fall apart (during the period in which we often struggled to get three players together), I made no plans to grow past the kingdom that had enough resources to last on its own.

There are lands beyond Talagon, but they have yet to be maopped and thought out with any seriousness. The adventurers left Talagon only once, when I used that store bought adventure in Desburg. I had also considered having adventures in Ravenloft too, owning two major sourcebooks for Ravenloft v3

There may be a time when we cross the border into new territory on a regular basis, but I have no plans to do that unless there becomes a need, or the playing group demonstrates desire for it. There are still several areas of the kingdom you have never even visited.

I know that the late Taer (alas poor monk, we hardly knew ye [img]wink.gif[/img] ) came from the "Island of the Pearl" from far away. Aoborr's people (The semi nomadic Barbos) originally came from elsewhere (I suspect the lands north of Talagon proper, and he may yet try to conquer it for Seara...nothing says "Love" like seizing lands)before swearing alliance with the good king of Talagon.

I think that once the current party has surpassed 11th level, people will start dying and the higher level characters will regroup to form a stronger group that will approach epic level. At that time, we will likely venture to new horizons, and wars in the north or journeys to islands are feasible. New characters will continue to feed the map, even as older ones have done. There is still a lot of potential for growth, and the players help spur on that growth.

Does Talagon have a rival or enemy nation?

Not that anyone in the party would readily know about...but I have considered the possibility for later. Let's just say that, there may be silent tensions growing now which won't yield an impact for quite some time.

Do the dwarves or elves consider themselves seperate and have their own kingdoms within a kingdom? I can see the dwarves having a pretty vast one actually since humans don't live underground.

In ancient Ireland, the kings of the various provinces swore fealty to a high king. In the popular book "The Belgariad", the Rivan King is overlord of all the other kingdoms. King Hrothgar enjoys the same type of situations. The elven, dwarven, gnomish and halfling leaders do not necessarily kneel to him, but pay him great respect...perhaps out of loyalty, an ancient pact, fear of greater numbers and strength...whatever...but he really is obverlord of the entire kingdom, and is smart enough not to lord it over the demihumans, whom he sees more as allies than vassals.

I realize a lot of things are "open" so the DM can adjust things as he sees need or desires

You pretty much hit the nail on the head there. The less I detail, the more flexible I can be, the more future players and characters can impact the world and the more the characters can discover through play, rather than research that they probably wouldn't have available anyway. But I will always answer direct questions as best I can...some of which may lead to entire adventures.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[quote]Originally posted by Starshadow:
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head there. The less I detail, the more flexible I can be, the more future players and characters can impact the world and the more the characters can discover through play, rather than research that they probably wouldn't have available anyway. But I will always answer direct questions as best I can...some of which may lead to entire adventures.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Groovy. [img]cool.gif[/img]

I do appreciate the flexibility, especially when it lets the backgrounds of characters shape things.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Lyssandra:
    Some time ago, there was an adventure where the party destroyed an evil Dwarven cleric and rescued a Clan chieftain, so it would seem they are organized as a kingdom of sorts, and Hrothgar mentioned being allies with the Dwarves.

Elves, I have no idea. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Very good point. The elves are even closer allies due to the fact that they are closer geographically, living above ground and in more similar habitat. The existence of Half-elves are another reason. After all, every young man wants to bed down an elf maid, but they don't feel the same about the dwarf lasses. Of course, a dwarf lass who wants a human male, need only get him drunk I suppose. [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[quote]Originally posted by Starshadow:
    Very good point. The elves are even closer allies due to the fact that they are closer geographically, living above ground and in more similar habitat. The existence of Half-elves are another reason. After all, every young man wants to bed down an elf maid, but they don't feel the same about the dwarf lasses. Of course, a dwarf lass who wants a human male, need only get him drunk I suppose. [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Or club him over the head maybe? [img]smile.gif[/img]