Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What's up with this board anyway? What happened to the introspective subject matter and multi-faceted comments from the highly intelligent people who frequent this forum? Jokes, word associations, bean soup recipes, and the CD's in your changer....give me a friggin' break. Is this frivolous crap the best we can do here? Come on people, let's deal with some serious shit for a change of pace.

You might find this site to be of current interest:

theage.com.au

After reviewing many of the 'reader comments' on this site, I felt compelled to send the following response:

Like many American's who have responded to your site, I too have always felt a close bond to Australian's and the values we two people's share. We extend our thoughts and prayers to ALL who were touched by this unspeakable act of terrorism. Here in Newport Beach, California, many of us in this area have lost a dear friend in the Bali bombing.....Steve Webster. I was not a real close friend but Steve, Mona, and the kids have been to some gatherings at my house and his loss has really struck home to this Southern California beach community. When a tragedy like this becomes 'personal', the emotions are ratcheted up a few notches and the anger causes us to demand retribution.

IT IS TIME TO STOP KIDDING OURSELVES!!!

ISLAM IS NOT A PEACEFUL RELIGION!!!

ISLAM DEMANDS THAT ALL INFIDELS MUST DIE!!!

How do we so-called 'infidels' of the world deal with this mandate? Sit around the conference table with a bunch of politically correct liberal weenies while these fanatic sub-humans kill us off? Turn the other cheek? Lot of good that will do you when the C4 goes off. The bleeding heart wimps in this country think that lighting some incense and wearing a flower in their hair will make all the bad things go away. Let's give 'peace a chance' they whimper...over and over. Have you heard any of the hundreds of these Muslim 'groups' demanding anything from these bombing actions? Hell no!! They simply want us all to DIE!!!!!!

WAKE UP PEOPLE!! WHEN SOMEONE DEMANDS THAT YOU DIE, THEN YOU BETTER KILL THAT SOB BEFORE HE KILLS YOU.

END OF RANT!!

So, where is YOUR emotional compass pointing these days? Do you honestly believe that it is possible for the rest of the world to co-exist with a fanatical group that demands our extinction?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Soc:

"What's up with this board anyway? What happened to the introspective subject matter and multi-faceted comments from the highly intelligent people who frequent this forum? Jokes, word associations, bean soup recipes, and the CD's in your changer....give me a friggin' break. Is this frivolous crap the best we can do here? Come on people, let's deal with some serious shit for a change of pace."

Why? Much of what I see on the sites is mere intellectual masturbation and ego flaunting. Do you really think that you solve any problems by the "serious" discussions on the board? If you want to know what is important talk to Candide.

For me, I use my job to make a difference in policy; I don?t do it on some board. You should do the same. This is a place for socializing; since you won?t influence anyone by what is posted here. What is discussed here is important stuff that we can control. Where else do you find philosophy from a mule? Of course, if you want to discuss important aspects of alien visitation, you can go to a number of boards [I can provide a list]. Good luck.
    [img]smile.gif[/img]

Best Wishes,,,,,

Z

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

Z, coming from yourself, I find this following statement to sound more like a 'confessional' as opposed to an opinion:

"Why? Much of what I see on the sites is mere intellectual masturbation and ego flaunting."

As the Valley Girls would say...."this is so YOU."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Soc:

"As the Valley Girls would say...."this is so YOU." "

Soc, thanks for making my point for me; I reference Voltaire and you reference Valley Girls. I guess that says it all. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Best Wishes,,,,,

Z

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So-Crate-s

Umm, yah, we all know that Islamics are more likely to be fucked up in the head than Christians, Jews, Buddists, Hindus ect. Gee, what a shock! You've posted about it before, ala the airline profiling (or lack thereof). I mean, duh, where exactly are the folks who do not agree with that? Not at any board I've been to.

Besides, if you actually heard Dick Suhay break out in "I Want Some Lovin'" polka you would know why I listed my 5 CDs. Dick (The Polka Pilot) Suhay billows a mean squeezebox.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

PS,

It seems I'm not alone

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/music/B000050IB9/customer-reviews/qid=1035256325/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/104-1757457-8093522"]Rave reviews for Dick Suhay[/ame]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Soc,

I somehow feel like chimin' in here.

Why must we debate all these political/social issues? I find it much more pleasurable to hear about your last great fishin' trip in the left coast cold pond that to banter about things that don't make a shit as far as our opinions are concerned. Hell, what was the last catch? Any keepers?

This board to me is more relevent on a personal level instead of the boards of old, though, that was FUN, in its own little twisted way, hehehehehehehehehehe.

Say, any good word on the Micro-mates?

BTW...if ya start a thread with somethin i don't agree with I'll argue with your ass [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You make a point Soc but so does Z and others. It may just be that the few who remain here do so precisely because of the low-key socialization. Those who are addicted to opinionizing and flame wars have many alternatives. The gentle, if slightly boring, tone of Hostboard may partly be a lingering reaction to the constant sniping at Unk's Greenspun forums.

Having said that, I agree that this has become an odd, hermetic place. It's like the DC sniper, Iraq, etc don't even exist here. That makes Hostboard both a refuge and a ho-hum.

Personally, my biggest problem with Hostboard is the quality of the link. It is so ungodly slow and sometimes it locks my computer up. That is probably due to my own lack of computer skills but I can't fight it. I look in here now and then but mostly I go to TB2K. What I most appreciate about that place is the number of posters. There is always something new. What most dislike about that place is also the number of posters. I don't feel like I know anyone.

The doomerism and Xtian fundamentalism are still there but they are tempered by many, including some we know: Flint, Anita, JBT and Carlos. Cin used to post there but I haven't seen her anywhere for awhile. Maybe she has a new beau.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What's your definition of awhile Lars? [img]wink.gif[/img]

Cin posted there 10 days ago.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I guess she is here more often than me. No, I do not have a new beau.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast