Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey!

There are romours about this CATS Movie, that might be produced. What do you think about it? There are quite a lot of ppl on the CATS Board that seem to hate the idea, but I think that could really turn out kinda funny! I mean, imagine what they could do? There are so mayn possibilities. And if it turns out to be crappy, there's something to argue about! I think it would be like a comedy to me and I try to think of all the ppl who are annoyed by my Cats-obsession and when they see the movie I could tell them I knew how cool cats was all along! *lol*

*yawns* I'm tired so please try to ignore all the mistakes up there!

Bombi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know, I doubt it'd work as a movie. There isn't really that much of a storyline to it (::hides: [img]smile.gif[/img] and there already is the vid... I mean, what would they want to do different? Widely popular cast and a real junkyard? I just can't picture it. I liked the old idea of making a cartoon out of it, it could turn out cute, but a real movie? that's just a no. IMO most musicals should just be left on stage.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"I liked the old idea of making a cartoon out of it, it could turn out cute"

and that is precisely the reason that Valerie Eliot (TS Eliot's widow) never sold the right to "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" to Disney. Cats isn't supposed to be cute. TS Eliot wanted his Cats to be anything but cute little stereotypical "pussy cats".

I think a Cats movie is a disasterous idea..it absolutely wouldn't work. It's entirely the wrong set up for a movie and the only way they could possibly do it is to very dramatically alter the show...by changing songs into spoken dialogue and creating lots of extra scenes to show who the Cats really were. Very far from the mysterious figures they are in the show.

I'm positive all this is just a rumour. Someone went OK Chicago worked...what's a popular musical..ooh Cats is..I'm going to say they should make a film of it...rumour starts and spreads. Logistically Cats would be an absolute flop as a film..I don't see a big company pouring money into something that would need total re-writing to make it even vaguely film-like.

Kate xx

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana Italics">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#F5F5DC"><font size=2 face="Verdana Italics">"I liked the old idea of making a cartoon out of it, it could turn out cute"
    and that is precisely the reason that Valerie Eliot (TS Eliot's widow) never sold the right to "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" to Disney. Cats isn't supposed to be cute. TS Eliot wanted his Cats to be anything but cute little stereotypical "pussy cats". </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never read old possums, mainly cause I'm not that much of a cats fan. I just meant that that's the only way I could actually halfway imagin Cats as a movie. No matter what they do if they do anything I'm definately not going to watch it, don't get much out of ALW musicals ::hides::

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Would you watch a RENT Movie? *g*
    I think there's more that can be done wrong in a RENT Movie than in a CATS one!

Bombi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think Rent would make a great film. I'm talking Hedwig & the Angry Inch type film..ie with actual cast members of Rent..etc rather than some crappy Hollywood-doing-a-musical. The film of Hedwig is excellent and captures the essence of the show, as well as enhancing some bits too. I still would rather see the stage show live again but I have always preferred theatre to film. Hedwig is successful because it has original cast members, including John Cameron Mitchell..who wrote the show and also plays Hedwig in the film, was the original Hedwig & directs the film!! That helped it to stay true to the show.

Rent has a logical storyline and some sort of structure to it. It'd translate well onto screen and wouldn't need too much adaption. Also it wouldn't need scenes adding to it. Cats would need lots adding to make it more "user friendly". However, as "liberal" as Hollywood thinks it is..I doubt they'd make a film of Rent because of the gay and lesbian relationships in it as well as the whole AIDS issue..it's not very happy and easy to watch like Chicago is. Personally it's one of my all time favorite shows and I'd like to see a film made of it...but by a film I mean literally taping the stage show, but with a ton of cameras at several showings of it to get the whole show done really well.

Kate xx

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yup, rent movie's been called on and off since 96... I probably would watch it, even just to see how they cripple it. I think it would work if done independent with people that can relate to it and maybe've been with the show for a while, I'm not so much thinking OBC since most of them are too old and I sometimes feel some of the cast members are a bit overrated just cause they were the OBC. But I think someone like Chad Richardson would be able to do a fantastic job, whatever part they'd give him. The boy's been with the show for almost six years and has his parts down. yeah...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There was meant to be a Rent film, released this year, but its been in pre-production state for years, so i doubt they're following through with the idea, although I could see how it would work, espec. with the original cast, give or take adam pascal *ahem*
    I can kinda see how they'd do a cats film too, in a planet of the apes type way (i get what im talking about!) as in a kind of cat-people thing. I did a mock up script of it for a uni application (it was cack but i tried!). I can't see it as sticking to the songs, the filmed stage version was pretty much the ultimate one in that respect, and the poetry that goes along with it. I love the way it was conceived though. T S Elliots poetry was written in a way to show cats characters, ALW got the idea from that into making them into almost 'cat people', and arranged the poems to give it an almost storyline, but not defining the characters,so every stage version you see can be different.
    In a film I could see the characters being developed more, but not sticking to the musical as such....i'll hush now, thats my plans for the future gone [img]redface.gif[/img]