Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where have all the good horror movies gone ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They have just released Texas Chainsaw massacre (the re-make) I noticed it was a
    cert 18. I've noticed alot of the so called horror flicks are now cert 15 and mostly American teenage slash movies or atmospheric
    chillers.
    The T.C.M re-make is apparently good, but not as good as the original & now here they are releaseing Alien the directors cut with six, yes six added minutes of footage includeing Ripley finding the missing crew members cocooned up .... question is, is it worth watching/buying for an extra six mins?
    Which has lead me to the question, why are there not more cert 18 proper horror films coming out anymore ??

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure what the full rateing system is here

I think its U = suitable for all, not sure on this next bit I think theres a 12 PG one and

Have you seen this film "Peeping Tom" 1959 ??
    They have been haveing a Horror movie type thing here. And apparently that one was considered so shocking for its time it was considered for banning.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I suppose "cert 15" = "PG-13" and "cert 18" = "R", correct?

The studios discovered that parents allow their children to see cert 15 movies much easier than cert 18. It all has to do with the demographic which brings in more money. It also brings in some adults too, as it's not rated specifically for a kids-market. (What is the full rating scale in England?) Profit-hunger will be the death-knell of big budget adult movies, written FOR grown-ups.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As to the topic question; All the good horror movies are hiding on DVD's produced between 1965 - 1998.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

http://www.filmratings.com/

Click the "rating guide" button. Ignore the open fields for searches. That's what's used here in the States.

And how can you NOT know what ratings movies have in the very country you live in?

<font color="#990000" size="1">[ November 03, 2003 12:52 PM: Message edited by: reved ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by stingger:
    They have just released Texas Chainsaw massacre (the re-make) I noticed it was a
    cert 18. I've noticed alot of the so called horror flicks are now cert 15 & now here they are releaseing Alien the directors cut with six, yes six added minutes of footage is it worth watching/buying for an extra six mins?
    ?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Uuummm seems be be a general trend to try to get movies released at a lower rating soo more kiddies can go see it thus increasing the ???$$$ the movie makers earn. Take Terminator T1 18 cert; T2 15 cert; T3 12 cert...please if T4 is released no PG rating!!

Alien on the other hand is a classic Sci-fi horror (18 cert) the 6 extra mins of footage are already availiable in the deleted scenes of the current DVD.

The point is that the whole film has been not only remastered and remixed but also re edited to tighten the pace in some places; So I think it would be worth seeing on the big screen. I mean I was 9 when it was first released

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

so who cares about a few more minutes of footage? It's allowing a whole new generation of viewers to watch it on the silver screen. Hell, I did the same thing when Ralph Bakshi's horrid interpretation of LORD OF THE RINGS made a comeback in the 80's midnight-movies art houses. Movie theatres don't compare to TV (even if it's a 64" plasma flatscreen, theatres beat it out).

edit - That didn't make sense. Shoulda said TV doesn't compare to movie theatres, which are superior in SO many ways. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

<font color="#990000" size="1">[ November 06, 2003 10:30 PM: Message edited by: reved ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I remember being at the theater when Alien first came out (seven or eight). Of course, I watched the theater floor most of the time...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Depends on your theatre, I went to see re-edit
    Star Wars the 2 kids in front of me talked none stop through out it, that did'nt bother me.
    The funny thing was when they got picked up by thier parents, when asked about the film they said it was great lol ..... I don't know which bits they saw between chatting.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have no compunctions about telling noisy moviegoers to shut their fuckin mouths, not when I've paid about $8 for a ticket, and the parents sit in a far-off corner of the theatre than their brats do. OOPS! *did my coke mysteriously spill over your head and now you're soaked in sugary stickiness for the next two hours?* My bad... [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast