Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dan Shaffer illustrates Indigo Vertigo, translating Katiejane's richly layered text into fully painted and digital, black & white art. Dan has reinvented his style to complement Katie's organic and fragmented writing, and his panel designs literally bleed her words onto the page. Mirroring Katie's written imagery with symbolic and hallucinatory sequential art, Dan allows the words and images to freely influence and damage each other, bringing them together in a unique fashion to squeeze the story out from between the cracks.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">http://www.danielschaffer.com/projects/x/indigohome.htm

ik vind het er prachtig experimenteel vloeiend uitzien in iets dat me doet denken aan "Arkham Asylum" van dave mcKean maar ook David mack...

nice

En even een een-tweetje met Schaffer gemaakt:
    The book's designed to be a subjective experience on certain levels, Richard, so I can't really talk about a lot of that (dat zijn dus vragen die ik hem stelde) stuff. I wouldn't want to direct anyone away from their own imaginations, or blow the secrets of the book before they could be discovered through the reading.

I can answer these ones -

What did you use for materials?
    It's paint and digital. The picture was painted in black and white, and then digitally coloured in photoshop.

Was it (de cover van Indigo Vertigo) right the first time?
    Of course! haha! Actually it grew slowly over a period of time. It was originally a black and white sample image I knocked up for Katiejane, to introduce her to the character she was writing about, but there was something about it that everyone seemed to respond well to, so I coloured it in and it became the cover.

Does it represent the interiors on some level?
    Yes.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    Sitting here planning the next project after Indigo Vertigo, I'm wondering how much of this they're going to let me get away with. "They" are the publishers, the retailers, the buying public, and you (if you've ever bought a Schaffer comic). The credo from Erik Larson at IMAGE is "Innovate. Create. Don't just build on something other people have started. Make something entirely new, entirely yours." I believe in that. I believe they mean it. And I'm going to take them up on it and possibly frighten them with my particular brand of "innovation".

Bending your art to fit a trend is the opposite of art, right? Its craftsmanship, sure. And that's fine if you're hired to do something specific. But that's not what I do. I'm not a work-for-hire artist. I'm a writer/artist, and I try to handle both jobs with the same feverish zeal and brain sweat shown by the guy or gal who first invented the wheel. Not quite so easy to be original in this day and age, maybe, but that's no excuse for not trying. You can write in an established genre, and you can write within the boundaries of company-owned work, there's nothing wrong with that. But trend chasing is a dangerous sport. Trends change with the wind. You abso-fucking-lutely must do what you're driven to do by whatever's boiling away on the inside, regardless of what's going on around you, and just hope the wind is blowing your way when the time comes to put your arse on the line.

My muses are plentiful but vicious. If I sell them out to make a quick buck they will stab my fucking eyes out and leave me for some other guy with a pencil and a typewriter. So, here we go with preparing the next project. Kinky, goth, zombie books to one side now, Schaffer. You're not going to be able to use sex and fetishwear to sell this one. This bastard is on its own and career-fuckingly different.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">meer info [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img]

Boom: are you already planning something new?!!

Dan: Yep. DOGWITCH #17 is in the bag, INDIGO VERTIGO is almost completed, and I'll be starting the final DOGWITCH in June. So by August, I'm going to be looking around for something to do. As most success depends how prepared you are when the opportunity arises, I'll need to have a few things ready to go. If INDIGO does okay in the real world, and I can convince IMAGE to let me do another one in that style, then I want to have it ready to pitch - script written and art samples at the ready. If it turns out the comics world isn't quite ready for something as abstract as INDIGO, then IMAGE may well tell me to fuck off, so I'll need to have something a bit more commercial at the ready as a back up.

Boom: And also via Image?

Dan: Probably. DOGWITCH is signed to SIRIUS for a certain amount of time, but me, I'm a free bird. I'm not signed exclusively to any publisher, so I'll just go where the openings are.

Boom: and how did you end up at Image?

Dan: Warren Ellis did it. He introduced me to the Exec. Director at IMAGE, via email, and I seemed to hit it off with him. Turned out that he was quite impressed with the INDIGO artwork samples that he'd seen, so he offered me a deal.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 26, 2005 05:18 AM: Message edited by: boomvavavoom ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pressrelease voor Indigo Vertigo
    En een prachtige en geletterde pagina...

VERY intresting!!

?Katiejane's approach to the construction of a graphic novella defies all established rules, and the result is a book unlike anything currently found in western comics," continues Schaffer. "Instigating a violent but intuitive creative process, she manipulates and tangles words and images into a powerful multi-layered vision. It's a graphic book designed to communicate on a number of different levels. Katiejane's words are hypnotic and they cut to the bone, but they?re always in motion, the meanings varying with each reading."
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Kort eerste interview op the Pulse met Dan Schaffer...
    en 5 prachtige pagina's..mijn verwachtingen zijn hoog!!

It?s a book designed to reach out through example, and it will come alive if you bring something of yourself to it.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Schaf vertelt zijn verhaal:

I've just spent the last eight hours editing Indigo with Katie, and I'm pleased to announce that even at this late stage in the development, we're both still interested in pushing its closer to the edge. This thing is going to the printers in two days and Katie says, "That character really needs to be mute," and savages the entire book, ripping dialogue and tilting the ambience of the whole thing. The result is a dynamic shift in the balance of power between the characters, and an increase in psychological tension. Its bloody genius. Ten minutes later she adds five extra words to the script that are so well targeted, the whole book is still resonating.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">zouden ze niet beter 2 of 3 versies uit kunnen brengen
    Variant interiors!!!
    [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is trouwens verzet naar 28 september...