Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The first question is IS there a dragon at all? Mugwort may have been told there was, but for all we know those babies might be being used for a ritual to perpetuate the youth of the wizard, perhaps even a wanna be lich? Take nothing at face value, not even the words of an underling under torture, because...he could have been given mis information about what was actually happening FOR that very reason! What to do? Utilize your rangers and rogue! Let them scout off in secret and get close to SEE if they see a beast, and then if they do report back (no we don't attack it on sight [img]wink.gif[/img]
    Merilin [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Scouting down the road works fine. Though Dragons are notoriously perceptive so it's dangerous work. What else is new though? [img]smile.gif[/img]

If there is a dragon, it looks like both Merilin and Jaskyn are very strongly against using the baby corpses to feed it. Unless someone is really good at talking them into otherwise.

The beheaded guards with their noggins wrapped in the clothes sounds good... gross, but good. IF there is a dragon of course.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh, and an evil Count.

We've been encouraged by the DM to discuss plans for this. So, here you go.

Anyone got any ideas?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here is some information you were given, just in case someone missed a post or lost memory:

The wizard school is being rebuild by the Cabal of Lucius, a reputedly 13 wizard organization who seeks power and lead by a powerful mage named Lucius

The school is being build on the ancient ruins of the fabled Devonshire School.

One of the wizards in the cabal has a dragon as a friend, and that dragon watches the road to the school.

An ex-slave lord named Justin is now a crime lord in Devonshire, but may once again be involved in slaving

The count has either turned evil, been possessed, or replaced by someone disguised as the count, or shape changed into him. He has surrounded himself with new followers.

The law has set up an ordinance tricking mothers into surrendering their babies as treats for the dragon, which is in turn being drugged by those very treats.

There are those in Devonshire who are opposed to the events that have transpired since Thora left, and are doing what little can be done to help...this you should have taken away from your conversation with Luckbreaker

There are said to be 60 Scarlet Sashes, and that Justin is never seen with fewer than 6. Your party has slain 7 and captured one. These missing ones may or may not have been replaced.

I may be missing some things, but these are the ones I best recall.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All those are valid points. Neither Mugwort nor the Sash ever saw the dragon Scarlet. The previous bodies were left at a checkpoint, which also implies guards, again unverifiable.

Furthermore, Mugwort may have been convincingly lied to, and may indeed not be evil himself, but rather is a pawn. In that case spells such as Detect Evil, Discern Lies or Zone of Truth won't be effective.

Scouting ahead may be a good option, but the checkpoint's a half day's ride via cart, with the school itself presumably further away still. One rider on one of the faster horses of our party might travel the distance quicker, unburdened.

Also consider that no matter which course we follow, once confrontations begin in earnest, there'll likely be no turning back, and the other three parties may get wind and press us. Be prepared to take out the Cabal, Justin and his Scarlets AND the Count with his personal guards in the space of a single roleplaying day. Rest periods might be possible, but I'd not count on them.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There is a way to crack this baby wide open, I'm sure of it. The wizards are clearly the true power and key to all of this. However, we don't know a few things yet:
    - if the dragon is a wizard's pet, why do they need to sedate it?
    - What exactly is Justin's role, anyway? Why would wizards need thugs? Is he just to keep the town quiet about the school?
    - For that matter, why be concerned about the town at all? Surely they could have kept their evil nature secret. What do they need to control Devonshire for?
    This info is probably available from Justin or the Count. We may need what they know to prepare to face the Cabal. The pressure to go feed the dragon probably will lead us in the wrong direction. I think we need to draw Justin out, and use him to get to the Count. The Cabal will notice dragon problems but if we move quickly they won't locate us as the problem until it's too late.
    Of course, we all recall what a problem a prepared wizard is, much less thirteen of them. Going for Justin increases the chances of having to face that. I think it's worth the risk, though - we need the clues he will surely have. And if we keep our heads down and approach them in a concealed fashion (using our skills and spells) we may catch them unawares yet.
    I'm not considering the dragon because we're almost certain to face it simultaneously with or shortly before the Cabal itself, so what goes for Cabal goes for it as well.
    If my idea sounds good, someone please convince my character. He wants to kill the dragon first, and I think he's mad.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's another thought. Justin has what...60 mercs at his beck and call? Let's not forget the offer of the theive's guild. We MAY be able to get aid from them in the form of bodies, meaning fighters or assassins! I like the odds better when they are not seven to one.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's not a bad idea at all. Perhaps our party could even go so far as to provide them a bit of coin so they can better equip themselves for a "Shadow war" on the Sashes.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think that Einkill's player is right...why run to attack a dragon and 13 wizards and leave the supporting cast at our backs? Lets go in the direction of possible allies first..ie the thieves guild..The wizards should be able to deal w/ a cranky dragon if it is in league with them...lets strike from the shadows and dissappear. If we have the thieves guild help we can deal with Justin and the count before the Wizards know who or where we are..they are the core of the problem...lets take down the supporting organization they put up first...

Take their allies...then their lives(if they resist of course)...if we are able

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's what Gwylln tried to tell the party near the end of the session while the Sash and Mugwort were being terrorized. [img]smile.gif[/img]

We have to pick one target, whichever we choose, and pound on it until it's neutralized, and then move to the second. Because the Cabal, Justin and the Count are so interconnected (remember how quickly the Sashes arrived) we may have a domino effect on our hands. i.e. We start attacking Justin and the Count's personal guard burst in and join. Then the wizards teleport in and start spell flinging...not a pretty picture, but one that must be considered.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast