Part 3 in this series will dwell on the single most time consuming aspect of the game: Magic use. It is time consuming enough to have all the combat to deal with, but when I have NPC spellcasters, it really bogs me down. But the worst part is when PC's are vague. Then it requires multiple communications and looking things up and double checking. As familiar with the game as I am, there is no way I could have every detail of every spell memorized (so far...I did for 1st edition).

Gwylln helpfully gave an example on another thread, but these are the things I MUST know for each and every post you send me:

Timing: Will it go off immediately, or take a round or more? Does it dissipate this round, or stick around. If it stays, do you have to forfeit future actions to control the affect? How long will it last?

Saving throw: Is there one? Reflex, Fort or Will? What happens if he saves...or doesn't. WHAT IS THE DC!!! This key component is one of the most crucial, but frequently forgotten. The DC will be your modifier (intel for arcane, Wisdom for divine), + the spell level + 10. Some spells affect even creatures with Spell resistance...it is nice to know this too.

Range and area of affect: It's not enough to tell me it reaches that guy 100 feet away, you must tell me what the area of affect is. Will it just hit one foe? 3 or 4? All of them? The party too!?

Who is affected...very important...many spells will affect the party as well, and it is important to know that.

Components: Most people forget this. If there is a somatic component, post you hand waving and such on screen. If there is a material component, be sure you had time to fish it out and do what you need with it...or that you HAVE it. Verbal components...nice flavor to the role play to spout gibberish. Einkil speaks dwarvish and Andrin and Jaskyn make poems...its not mandatory, and I may miss it, but I think the players enjoy it.

Damage: How much damage and what kind..sometimes it is subdual damage. How much if it saves? Is it reduced by creature type, meaning do dragons, undead, elementals, elves or whatever take less or more?

Description: Some spells are not so cut and dry as a magic missile. Some don't cause damage, but affect creatures in many other ways. If it is vague, then give me details. This is especially true if the spell is not easily found in etools or the Players Handbook.

Summoned critters are your responsibility. They go to the end of the initiative line and you make all combat rolls on their behalf. Be sure you know the powers of the things you summon. If you don't, then this is something we can work out in between sessions. Simply tell me the critters you are most likely to summon, and I will give you all the facts you need. No single spell causes me more wasted time than summon spells, because celestial creatures are so specialized, they aren't even given special listings in the Monster Manual or Etools. Sometimes, if I am swamped..I just make them up...and I would rather not have to resort to that.

These rules also apply to quaffing potions and using wands. In D&D 3rd edition, most magic items act as spells...potions, scrolls, wands, staves, wands and even many wondrous items (bag of tricks!) and rings. So if you activate one...give me the details.

Upkeep: You may have spells that require updating info. You need, each round, to tell me what is going on...that you move that flaming sphere, that your summoned eagle attacks the smallest kobold, etc.

When in doubt, give me the details, but give them concisely...sending an entire spell description does not speed things along if it has a lot of info which is not reelevant to the circumstances.

Playters of Spellcasters should be as familiar with every spell their characters know as the character would be. Please do not use game time to experiment with new spells you are ill prepared to use. If you get a new spell that seems cool...read about it in between games. It also helps to review the spells, so as to to know when they will work best, and when they can't help you.

Not to put anyone on the spot, but here are some examples of errant spell casting recently, just to paint a picture of what spell casters are up against and a sa learning tool.

Druid grabs the head of enemy and with the other hand casts a spell. I let it go...but the spell in question required two hands to cast. It wan't worth the trouble to pause the scene and reverse the action, but there may be times when I will.

Cleric summons an eagle to aid him, just as the battle is almost over. A summoned creature is a great asset, but usually useless if the party has the upper hand.

Flame strike (like fireball) is one ofthe most devestating spells to cast, and likewise one ofthe hardest to do right. Casting it in the forest when a Druid is supposed to protect the trees is a mistake. Casting it at mounted men, when Druids are protectors of innocent fauna, is a similar mistake. However, sometimes these mnistakes are necessary to see what works and what doesn't.

Cleric-Wizard raises her hand to cast a missile spell...which fizzles on her fingertips....it happens sometimes when one wears armor. Remember that while armor may be necessary to protect you, you never know when a crucial spell will be lost to the arcane spell failure penalty.

Cleric casts a detect evil spell and gets no result....sometimes the enemy is well protected...as Mugwort was wearing an amulet of non-fdetection (subsequently destroyed by Barbarian)

Spellcasting is a cornerstone to role playing. All we need is to tidy it up a bit.