This has been an area of confusion on many levels in an online game. On one hand, we have no visiualization of combat; no miniatires or graphs or counters, so things like "moving into a threatened area" are hazy. On the other hand, there are all kinds of feats and such that utilize the attack of opportunity, and there are times when it makes total sense.

I would like to establish ground rules for Attacks of opportunity, but would like your input.

Attacks would be provoked bythe following activities unless an applicable feat is used:

1. Spell casting in melee
2. Missile fire in melee
3. Picking up a dropped item/weapon
4. Retrieving a stored item (not ammo)
5. Loading crossbows
6. Controlling spooked steed (mounted combat)
7. Healing in melee
8. Lighting a torch in melee
9. Attempted Sunder (striking a weapon)
10. Escape attempt from net, bonds, entangle
11. Change form/polymorph/wildshape
12. coup de grace

I would remove attacks of opprtunity for all movement related provocations, since it is just too difficult to state whether or not you moved into a threatened space or provoked someone.

As a side note, certain situations in which one might expect an attack of opportunity do not actually get one. These include directing spells already in effect, turning undead, using "quickened" spells, preparing components prior to spellcasting, dropping to the floor, opening doors and withdrawing from combat.

I think these rules could work better than simpy disallowing attacks of opportunity altogether. Just remember, what's good for you is also good for your opponent.