Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

The "forgotten thief ability" at Caer Falken. This is one of the rogue's best abilities, yet one that many of my players fail to remember in combat situations.

Wizards of the Coast has an excellent on line article regarding this ability, and I thought I would share it here:

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040217a

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

After I read that article I took a look at the Bluff skill. It says, down near the bottom:

Feinting in Combat: You can also use Bluff to mislead an opponent in combat so that he can?t dodge your attack effectively. Doing so is a miscellaneous standard action that does not draw an attack of opportunity. If you are successful, the next attack you make against the target does not allow him to use his positive Dexterity bonus to AC (if any). Feinting in this way against a non-humanoid is difficult because it?s harder to read a strange creature?s body language; you suffer a ?4 penalty. Against a creature of animal Intelligence (1 or 2) it?s even harder; you suffer a ?8 penalty. Against a non-intelligent creature, it?s impossible.

So if a rogue feints successfully, their next attack against that opponent will get sneak attack damage, correct?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Since the opponent is denied his dex bonus to AC for that round (one of the two possible conditions for a snaek attack), a rogue will most definitely gain a sneak attack if the feint is successful.

For a successful Bluff, you must make an opposed roll against your opponent's Sense Motive.

I think the above example shows good reason for rogues to use bluff, and everyone else to use sense motive.