One of you has expressed an interest, so here is more info. First, you must possess the feat:

<font size="5">Item Familiar[General] </font>
Choose a permanent magic item that you possess. You establish a link to that item, and the item improves in capability as you gain levels.

<u><font size="3">Prerequisite: </font></u> A character must be at least 3rd level to take this feat.

<u><font size="3">Benefit: </font></u> By establishing a link to a particular item, you enable that item to gain power as you gain levels. The exact nature of the item and the powers vary.

<u><font size="3">Special: </font></u> If you ever lose the chosen item (have it removed from your possession for a continuous period of more than one day per level) or if the item is destroyed, you automatically lose 200 xp per level as well as all benefits derived from possessing the linked item (plus any resources you put on the item). If you recover the item, you regain these XP. You may replace a lost or destroyed item familiar after you have advanced one level, as if you were gaining an item familiar for the first time.

The item selected must cost at least 2,000 gp, be usable by the character (and know how to use it) and have a permanent affect.

The abilities gained (and only retained as long as the item is) vary from investing xp to gain more, investing skill points to get bonuses, granting intelligence, and even getting special powers, all of which are based on the character's level, so that the powerful stuff does not start showing up until higher levels.

I can't in good conscience print out the many pages of details here, so anyone who seriously wishes to pursue this, contact me. (Note I said seriously, as it will be a lot of work!)

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ April 18, 2004 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Starshadow ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ April 18, 2004 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Starshadow ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 18, 2004 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Starshadow ]</font>