Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: OT: Server Upgrade Please Post here if you Have Any Issu

Hmm, in retrospect I may have misrepresented it in that I'd long since reached the point of not actually reading any of the 'error' messages, just noticed something about high traffic volume & 'try back in a few', which historically means 'go away for a very long time' in my case, so in my ignorance perceive these types of messages as an overloaded server issue.

GM

edit: Hmm, I changed this first 'draft' passage and wrote several more paragraphs while in the 'quick post' mode, left the computer for a few, then 'thought' I clicked on 'go advanced', but instead the longer 'draft' popped up as an 'edit', with a '36 min. ago' posting of this first 'draft'.

Is there some time or size limit to 'quick post' before 'something' happens?

Regardless, the final draft:

Hmm, in retrospect I may have misrepresented it in that I'd long since reached the point of not actually reading any of the 'error' messages, just noticed something about high traffic volume & 'try back in a few', which in my case historically means 'go away for a very long time', so in my ~total ignorance of how this type of software works, perceive these types of messages as an overloaded server/'pipeline' issue.

Apparently, this latest update is a 'keeper' as I'm finally getting immediate email updates to my postings, a feature that I've been without for so long now that I can't remember the last time I got them. This is a 'big deal' in my case since I sometimes post up to multiple times across numerous threads on a near daily basis on equally numerous forums, so with 'life' always getting in the way of my hobbies same as most folks [retirement seems to increase, not decrease, this sorry state of affairs, all else equal ], don't have time [or patience these days] to waste on 'flaky', unreliable, etc., ones.

FWIW, it would be nice if the 'error' messages could be highlighted, copied/pasted into a simple email/whatever text doc. to again copy/paste on this thread when finally able to.

Regardless, thanks for finally addressing our issues in a timely fashion and hope it will be ongoing as required like I'm used to from the dozens of forums I either post regularly on or actively browse and now with a dedicated thread to post problems, questions, I'll start paying more attention.

GM
    Last edited by GM; January 30th, 2016 at 01:30 PM.
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Site Administrator Team Hostboard's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Not sure what OS your using but in Windows Press the "Print Screen" (Prt Sc) key on your keyboard. This will capture an image of your entire screen and copy it to the clipboard. The dimensions of the image will be the same as that of your desktop resolution. For a MAC you would press Command + Shift + 4 Then you can attach it to a post so I can see exactly what it is your seeing.

And the majority of the thanx actually should go to Kevin who is our new developer. Previous developers sort of just did what was asked. Kevin actually took the time to see what was and made recommendations as well as pointed out some flaws that previous developers had made. While we are in a better place, there is still server work to be done and then after a TON of coding. But glad everyone agrees we are at least heading in the right direction Please keep the reports coming so we can continue to address things...
    Please do not PM or e-mail me for support.
    The fastest way to get support is through our Help Desk

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Tried again to reply to recent Phil-G post. Fail. Got the same website error message as described previously.

Reduced the message size and it got through.

Then attempted to send the remainder of the reply. Fail. Got the the same website error message.

HOWEVER, when I looked at Phil's thread the remainder of the message was there.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

HB Super Moderator
    OT: Server Upgrade Please Post here if you Have Any Issues

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Steven when I tried to move posts to another thread I get an error message stating "Not a Valid Url Specified"

And No Phil I don't have Moderator version Laptops !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Steven,

FWIW, all the forums I'm active on but this one allows a short message, such as Thanks! or just an emoticon, so any particular reason we can't have a < 10 character post?

TIA

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Site Administrator Team Hostboard's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

The minimum number of characters per post for the site is set to 10. I am not sure if we ever implemented an option for that in the HBCP system to control it. I can check but will have to get back to you.
    Also the server is just about finished. Just 2-3 things left and the migration will be completed.
    Just as an FYI I have been thinking about eliminating the quick reply system all together and just have the advanced system be the sole posting interface,

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Steven,

FWIW, all the forums I'm active on but this one allows a short message, such as Thanks! or just an emoticon, so any particular reason we can't have a < 10 character post?

TIA

GM
    Please do not PM or e-mail me for support.
    The fastest way to get support is through our Help Desk

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Steven,

TIA

GM
    +1 Yeah I'm with GM on this one...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Just 2-3 things left and the migration will be completed.
    Just as an FYI I have been thinking about eliminating the quick reply system all together and just have the advanced system be the sole posting interface,
    Cool!

Well, before a couple of weeks ago, this would be a problem for me, but now that I have a much faster net connection I don't have to wait for it to 'construct' itself seemingly one bit [byte?] at a time, so wonder if there's others still stuck slow DSL 'hell'.

GM

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Cool!

Well, before a couple of weeks ago, this would be a problem for me, but now that I have a much faster net connection I don't have to wait for it to 'construct' itself seemingly one bit [byte?] at a time, so wonder if there's others still stuck slow DSL 'hell'.

GM
    What connection do you have now GM ? Speed wise ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

AT&T's 1.5 m DSL, though 1.2 is about the best I get and often as little as 2-300 k!, so will be cancelling it this week and keeping Comcast's Cable's 30 day trial 10 m, which has so far been 11.5+ m even during high traffic hours, so will be interesting to see if it stays this good once I commit.

GM

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast