Something just doesn't look right like the flange on one of then that's welded on an angle..I don't think it would have left the factory like that. Also the extra holes for a 1" driver.

Sonic Barbarian
Something just doesn't look right like the flange on one of then that's welded on an angle..I don't think it would have left the factory like that. Also the extra holes for a 1" driver.
4 holes on the flange is correct.
I think the crooked looking flange is an optical illusion created by the light source being 90 degrees from the lens angle.
Beyond the black paint, they look correct to me.
Given the number of crooked dustcaps i've seen from the Anaheim factory, even at the perceived angle that flange is within spec.
Here are a pair of correct examples, look at the sloppy boogers of weld inside and out of the throats, also note the welds in the vanes that have been cut, and filled with silicone. If the ebay pair had better pics, i think we'd see this on them as well.
511E ALTEC ????? ??? ??????? ?????? ??????? 12-68461-52529-00
BTW, you're right Phil.![]()
Last edited by bowtie427ss; April 3rd, 2016 at 02:22 PM.
Not all vegetables make good leaders.
I'm thinking the flanges probably already had 2 holes in them before the assembly was morphed into the "E" version.
I doubt the intention was ever for "either/or" mounting of 1.4 or 1 inch drivers. I think they were probably all fully welded up 511A/B/C before they became a 511E.
Just my .02 of course...................................
Not all vegetables make good leaders.
The last pic on the flea pay pair... They don't line up when sitting on the mounts. Very sloppy looking welding.
That was my pair that just sold. I got them with a few other pairs of 511's. They came out a church. At first I didnt recognize them as "E's" because they had two bolt flange gaskets on them. Then I saw the other bolt holes from the other side.
There was definitely some non original paint on them. They sprayed right over the aquaplas. The original gray paint was visable around the edges though
These went to an Altec collector in Texas
Bookmarks