Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Iz,

I just tried it, http://www.speculativevision.com/forum works for me.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

*Sigh*

Well, I guess that was the good news. The air race, that is. Today one of the directors at work asked me and a co-worker to visit with the VP of HR. Meetings with HR during rumors of another layoff are generally not a good thing. However, as it turns out, I'm employeed until July 23, and I'm not required to show up. Matter-of-fact, my network login has been deactivated, company email is inaccessable, the ports to my cube and those around me (empty) have been disconnected, and the id card that opens the doors no longer works.

Looking back on it, I knew it was coming, figured I was one of the "targets" (there's one left that will stay in Santa Clara now), and to be honest, I wasn't happy with the ruling group of good-ol'-boys on the other coast. So instead of being laid off, I ended up with an 8 week paid vacation. One job is lined up for the middle of June, and if it doesn't come to pass, I've got a few weeks of shopping myself around Silicon Valley. Plus, the last time I was laid off, I got a job within two weeks that turned out to be better than what I'd had. So, this small, dark cloud has one heck of a silver lining. Like the air race post, I figured I'd share this with ya'll.

"Doin' alright,
    gettin' good grades,
    the future's so bright,
    I gotta wear shades"

biggrin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

*hugs* Good luck bud!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey, wizard--

well, it is never easy dealing with a potential layoff, but it seems like you intend to stay one jump ahead, which is the best thing you can do. i learned that the hard way when one job contract was coming to an end and i hadn't spent enough time laying down something to replace it. but the next time it happened, i had several other sources of employment lined up and it turned out not to be too bad. so take their money, their time, and use it to protect yourself.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, Asis
    And, really, to the rest of you, too. First place in the air race is an accomplishment both of us (Tony and myself) have talked about for years. We both knew we could do it, but damn...during the awards ceremony, going up from 15th to 1st, each time an award was announced and we weren't named, got our hopes up even more. Then, we considered that maybe we screwed up our time somewhere and we weren't even in the running. Then they announced "Best Rental" at fifth place. We got up and got our plaque, and tried to figure where we were in the running. Eighth place was last years winner, and the were also renters. Wasn't until they announce third place that I knew we hadn't screwed up, and it was between two other guys at our table and ourselves. "Damn, Tony...we did it!" when the 2nd place trophy was announced.

Ok, forgive me for reliving the past. There are times when first place does make a difference in your life.

Thanks again, Asis, for the *hugs*. As they say..."Thanks, I needed that!".

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Whiz,

Way to go on the win. As far as the layoff goes, I have faith you can be back to work before you wanna be, programming and engineering jobs are pretty plentiful in Silicon Valley. Engineers usually get caught in bidding wars by their prospective employers. The Grey owl Wizzard crosses his feathers for ya

------------------
    Sindatur - The Grey owl Wizzard

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Congrats and best wishes, Wizz. Your luck most likely wont run out that fast.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MERLE and PC, can you send me an email with your current addresses. I sent out a blanket update email today and you two came back as non-existent persons. My email is the same as it always has been: [email protected]

Thanks

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wizzard,

1) Congratulation on your win. I know how much it means to you.

2) Condolences on your job. I'm sure you will be back to work soon.

------------------
    MightyLady of the Flame Red Hair
    Somebody should have labeled the future 'Some assembly required.'

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just wondering if anyone is still around. It's been 4 days since anyone posted. Did everyone go out of town for memorial day weekend?