Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Post info that you find that strikes you as weird or interesting.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Did you know that McDonalds use beef flavoring in its french fries?

New York Times Article

According to this NY Times Article, American Hindu's did not know this and ate McDonalds french fries believing them to be vegetarian. Big Whooops here.

I find this interesting, not for religious resaons, but as an explaination of why McDonalds fries taste so different then everyone elses. According to the article, Burger King and Wendy do not use beef flavoring in their fries.

So if ya know any vegetarians, tell them not to eat McDonalds fries.

"Not surprisingly, Mr. Sharma, an electrical engineer for Boeing in Seattle, says that
    for years he never set foot in a McDonald's restaurant. But in 1990, when the fast-food chain announced with great fanfare that it was switching from beef fat to "100 percent vegetable oil" to cook its French fries, Mr. Sharma joined the legions of Hindu Americans and vegetarians who began venturing into McDonald's to nibble what they believed were vegetarian fries. Mr. Sharma's teenage son even took a job at McDonald's last year, and drawn by the generous employee discount, the Sharma family consumed countless bags of fries.

So Mr. Sharma said he was horrified when he opened his India West newspaper in April and read, "Where's the Beef? It's in Your French Fries." He and other American Hindus were outraged to learn that McDonald's French fries are seasoned in the factory with beef flavoring before they are sent to the restaurants to be cooked in vegetable oil."

Laurie Goodstein, NY Times, May 20, 2001, For Hindus and Vegetarians, Surprise in McDonald's Fries.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Several years ago there was a quizz of sorts as to who had the better fries. I suppose I might be in the minority, but I never liked Mac's fries. Too soggy for my taste. Maybe it's that beef. wink

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm with you on that one Absom. I'm not a big fan of McD's. fries. I think Burger King and Jack in the Box both have better fries.
    (IN 'N OUT is in a class by itself)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arby's has the greatest around here.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, BurgerKing fries used to be really soggy up til labout 2-3 years ago. Thjey changed t heir recipe and now they are crspyier. McDonals are always crispy when I get them Maybe it has to do wityh wHEre you are?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ah, but, Weinerschnitzel has the best Fries.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Fries? Good Fries??? Then we're talkin' about In 'N' Out Burgers! You can watch them take whole potatoes and slice 'em in to fry-shape, then cook 'em. No hidden flavor enhancers...at least none that I could see.

Regarding the other aspect with the Hindu's, is beef flavoring something they have to avoid? I know they avoid beef and beef products, but who's to say that beef flavoring isn't something that's non-beef in it's origin?
    Just askin' the question...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh, and regarding McDonalds fries...some time ago they were in hot water (so to speak) because diabetics were at risk without knowing it. In order to get that golden brown look to them, McDonalds supposedly soaked the cut fries in sugar water before hand. I don't recall how much sugar was used, or how high the risk, but the fact that diabetics read lables religously (or are supposed to) so they can avoid suger really put them at odds with McDonalds. Couldn't say one way or the other if McDonalds still does it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On the subject of "Didja notice": Have you seen where they are replacing the signal lights at intersections with LED's? At first, I noticed that they had a bunch of red LED's in place of the red lense/bulb arrangement. Then, the green LED's started making their appearance. The one outside of work, though, has amber ones as well. Pretty soon, they won't need any lightbulb changers to go and replace the burned out bulbs. And, it's another way California is reducing the amount of power consumed. Just have to do it in a bunch of small steps.