Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bee!
    I have created a CLOSED post and a fowarding link to here in the IV topic.

------------------
    Nommy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

<Font face="Georgia">Wow...you have to check this out. This years "Iron Butt Rallye" winners route. The Iron Butt is a long distance motorcycle race. This one route was from Madison Alabama to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska! Thought some of you might be interested...I remember driving to Michigan in 3? days with QueenGOP, and our schedule was a tad aggressive. This map and time chart shows the path and the log along the way. Iron butt, indeed!</font>

------------------
    Do not tempt the patience of Wizzards, for they are subtle, and quick to anger.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Interesting link Wizz. I love long distance riding on my bike, but I like to enjoy the ride also. With that pace and only 3 hours of sleep a day, I'm not sure how much I would enjoy the ride as well as safety concerns that come with sleep depravation.

------------------

Inactive Member Sycamore Evenstar's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've driven from Michigan to Fairbanks in 2 weeks--and back in 3 days! At least the road is paved these days!

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey, anybody here got any sage computer advice? I'm thinking of setting my mother up with a basic home computer so she can email all her friends and relatives and also use the internet. Considered the Ipaq option, but you can't print out, which is kind of useless. Now I'm looking at Gateways and Compaqs in the $600-$700 price range with a year's free MSN. Only thing is, everyone I know uses AOL and I don't know anything about MSN. Got any advice, let me know--

iz

------------------
    "Close your mouth, Michael, we are not a codfish."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Iz...MSN may be free for a year, but check the fine print. You may be obligated to continue with MSN after the first year. The rate may be higher than a regular ISP. Also, check to make sure that the dial-up number for MSN is a local call for your mother. I know it would be a toll call for me here in Maine. If it's a toll call, it means that all of her online time would be chargeable at long distance rates. I don't know anyone right now who has MSN as a provider. I think Piscea used to and I don't remember her complaining about her provider. Hope this is helpful.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rowyn (edited September 09, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

iz,

If your mother isn't planning on doing any word processing or spreadsheets, graphics or music, Web-TV might be an option. The buy-in is fairly cheap, you can attach a printer, and it gives you internet access.

It's not a solution if she is going to want to do anything requiring a hard drive to store data and programs, however. It works for some people, others need a full-blown computer.

I can put you in touch with a friend who really likes his Web-TV if you are interested in talking with someone who actually uses it.

------------------
    MightyLady of the Flame Red Hair
    Love is blind, but friendship is clairvoyant.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

eMachines are running a bit cheaper than most of the name brands. As we get closer to Xmas I think prices will drop and rebates will increase. They really want to offload these computers. I think that we will see some slashed prices come holiday time.

I am leery of the MSN internet packages. I don't like being tied into a ISP that I may not like. But that is my personal opinion.

------------------
    - "This is a dream." "No, not a dream. A Nightmare. And if sometimes dreams come ture, what of our nightmares?" (Sheridan and Galen)
    - Resident KiSA (Knight in Shining Armor!)
    - Forgiveness doesn't come with a debt. (Mary Chapin Carpenter - I Take My Chances)
    - Namesake of AsIs the kitten!

Inactive Member Sycamore Evenstar's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Iz--I had MSN with good dial up service in Albany, always got right on, never got bumped off. When I moved to Toledo, 3X larger city, I went from 3 to 1 available dial-up numbers. Obviously, that constituted lousy service and an unhappy customer.

The other problem became apparent at that time was that it was exceedingly difficult to remove all the MSN tentacles when you decide to get rid of it. Also, it was very difficult (impossible?) to try out another ISP (in my case Earthlink and AT&T) with MSN still there. It caused constant conflicts.

My experience and 2?. Hope it helps.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks everyone--I really appreciate it. I may pursue this as an Xmas present rather than a birthday present. Am investigating Web-TV as well--especially as my mom's desires from a computer are pretty minimal.

iz

------------------
    "Close your mouth, Michael, we are not a codfish."