Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gee, whatever happened to the "United" States [img]wink.gif[/img]

As for me, I'm going through a change of employers . The new ones have taken 4 months to produce an unacceptable draft contract, and now have less than 2 weeks to the deadline for changeover.

I work for utterly lazy, complete idiots it seems [img]confused.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 12, 2002 06:41 PM: Message edited by: ianviking ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, I didn't know the States minted their own coins! I should have guessed really (d'oh!) but it never crossed my mind. Going to check all my American change to see where it comes from now.

Life's Ok here. I'm off to Germany at the end of this month to learn German and chat to some clever people at the University of Berlin. If it's got to be in German though, it'll be less chatting, more frantic looking through phrase books. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

Who doesn't?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Uh...Baze.

The states don't mint their own coins. The federal government is the only one allowed to make U.S. currency. The U.S. Mint is producing quarters that represent each individual state in some form, so the back side has some sort of "We're great because..." in picture form. I believe (but I'm not sure) that the quarters are issued in the order that the states joined the United states, which is why people start fussing over them from time to time.

That's not to say that the states wouldn't like to produce their own money...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think I read once that you could make up and use your own currency as long as it wasn't a copy of "regular" currency.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Actually, under the old Articles of Confederation, which was the government before the Constitution in 1787 was adopted, the individual states DID mint their own coins. That was one of the weaknesses in the Articles that the Constitutional Convention set out to cure.

-Merle, who got his undergrad in history.......

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There were many problems with Articles of Confederation, many dealt with the issue of trade. Not only could the states mint their own money but they could impose tarriffs on other states. This lead to fighting between the states.

Heck, watch what is happening in the EU with the Euro to get an idea of what it was like in the US under the articles of Conferderation. The issues that most European countries are dealing with are verys imilar to the issues the US had to deal with, although a bit more complicated given technology and the like.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The State coins are indeed created in order of their assention into the Union. I am/used to be a Numistmatist and knew a lot about the history f our currency. I t hink myoldest coint is an 1897 Silver Dollar. Its been a long time since I have taken out my coin books. Hmmmm.'

I will get the WHOLE set once all the tates have been minted. I will get the PROOF set which will look really awsome.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    <font face="georgia">Stars, nebulas and galaxies plus a couple of other neat photos I found are at
    http://www.astrophoto.com/ in the gallery.
    Some are composites, some are 35mm camera shots, but most are pictures taken with a 14.5" telescope.

Well, I thought they were pretty neat pictures...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

Sounds a very common disease Ran.

My Aunt is also ill, though she's just been diagnosed as having ovarian cancer, that has also spread to her liver. The doctors are very upbeat about treating it though.

Same week as that, my mother fell on a back road and badly hurt her arm, and I went to bed one night only to have a toe nail fall off.

Remind me not to book any more weeks off work. They are obviously hazardous to health!