Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

...A 27-year-old Texas man has been convicted in the slaying of a former manager of the 1970s rock group Grand Funk Railroad.
    A Bell County jury deliberated less than 40 minutes Wednesday before finding Donald Alan Fair guilty of murder in the Nov. 1 death of Richard Terrance "Terry" Knight.
    Authorities said Fair stabbed Knight to death during a domestic dispute at an apartment complex.In his closing argument, defense attorney Jim Hewitt said there was "strong evidence" Fair was high on methamphetamine when he stabbed Knight 17 times.
    Fair was the boyfriend of the victim's daughter. Knight, his daughter and her boyfriend all lived in the apartment, police said.
    Knight, 61, managed Grand Funk Railroad, which started in Flint, Mich., during the 1960s and early 1970s.

...Singer Willie Nelson's name is off the road again.
    A state legislator had proposed naming a 49-mile stretch of Texas Highway 130 being built around Austin in Nelson's honor.
    But two Republican senators, Steve Odgen of Bryan and Jeff Wentworth of San Antonio, said they didn't want Nelson's name on the road that crosses their districts, citing the musician's fondness for drinking and smoking, and active campaigning for Democratic candidates.

...Troubled country singer Doug Supernaw was found guilty Thursday of misdemeanor marijuana possession and released on time served for an incident in which police found him naked in a hotel room last year.
    A jury sentenced him to 115 days and a $300 fine after a two-day trial. The singer, who has been beset by numerous legal problems, acted as his own attorney. He was assessed three days credit for each of his 62 days he spent in an Amarillo jail last year.

...Today In Rock:
    -1964 The Beatles receive a $140,000 royalty check for the use of their name on Beatles Chewing Gum
    -1965 The Rolling Stones top the British chart with their album Aftermath. In an interview, Otis Redding declares the Stones to be his favorite group.
    -1977 Led Zeppelin play the Silverdome in Pontiac, Mich. The audience of 77,229 sets a new record for attendance at a single-act concert.
    -1983 Muddy Waters dies in Westmont, Ill., from a heart attack at age 68
    -1988 Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon drops out of the Billboard 200 chart for the first time in 725 weeks. It would be back.
    -2004 Courtney Love enters a formal plea of "not guilty" to two charges of felony drug possession in Los Angeles after turning up an hour late for her court appearance.

...Todays Birthdays:
    Wayne Kramer (MC5) 57, Willie Nelson 72, Merrill Osmond 52.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

...Today In Music History:
    -1965 Song parodist Spike Jones dies in Bel Air, Calif. His biggest hit was "All I Want for Christmas (Is My Two Front Teeth)," and a member of his City Slickers band used to play the toilet seat.
    -1966 The Beatles play their last show for a paying audience in Britain at the NME Poll Winners' Party.
    -1967 Elvis Presley marries Priscilla Beaulieu at the Aladdin Hotel in Las Vegas.
    -1969 Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash videotape a special to appear on ABC. They play Dylan's "I Threw It All Away," "Living the Blues," and "Girl From the North Country."
    -1969 Jimi Hendrix is busted for narcotics possession at Toronto Airport. He is released on $10,000 bail.
    -1970 In New York, Bob Dylan records with George Harrison. The two mess around on the Beatles' "Yesterday," Dylan's "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues," and "Da Doo Ron Ron."
    -1975 In one of their best-ever publicity stunts, the Rolling Stones announce their Tour of the Americas by playing "Brown Sugar" on the back of a flatbed truck driving down Manhattan's Fifth Avenue.
    -1999 An exhibition of Paul McCartney's paintings, including a portrait of David Bowie, opens in Siegen, Germany.
    -2000 Neil Young is sued for $1.8 million by Jimmy McDonough, a writer who claims the singer tried to block an authorized biography he had spent several years working on.

...Songs Recorded/Released this date include:
    1961 "Travelin' Man", - Ricky Nelson
    1961 "Mama Said", - The Shirelles
    1965 "Help Me, Rhonda", - The Beach Boys
    1965 "Ticket To Ride", - The Beatles
    1965 "It's Not Unusual", - Tom Jones
    1965 "Wooly Bully", - Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs
    1969 "Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine In", - The 5th Dimension
    1969 "Galveston", - Glen Campbell vocal
    1971 "Wants Ads", - Honey Cone
    1971 "Sweet And Innocent", - Donny Osmond
    1971 "Brown Sugar", - Rolling Stones
    1977 "Southern Nights", - Glen Campbell
    1982 "Heat Of The Moment", - Asia
    1982 "It's Gonna Take A Miracle", - Deniece Williams
    1985 "Girls Night Out", - The Judds
    1985 "We are the World - USA for Africa
    1985 "Crazy for You", - Madonna vocal
    1986 "Rhythm of the Night", - DeBarge

...Todays Birthdays:
    Judy Collins 66, Johnny Colt (Black Crowes) 39, Rita Coolidge 60, Leslie Gore 59, Tim McGraw 38,
    Ray Parker Jr 51, D'arcy Wretsky-Brown Smashing Pumkins) 37

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

...The Dixie Chicks are in Los Angeles recording a new album with producer Rick Rubin. No release date has been pegged for the Open Wide/Columbia set, which will be the follow-up to 2002's "Home." As previously reported, Rubin recently produced the next Columbia album from veteran vocalist Neil Diamond, due this summer.
    "Home" debuted at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 5.8 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The Chicks have been off the road since a run on last fall's Vote for Change tour. Earlier this month, group member Emily Robison gave birth to two twins

...After almost a decade, Pink Floyd co-founder Roger Waters has finished his opera and he hopes it's not just another brick in the wall.
    Waters is considering a November performance "Ca Ira" live with a symphony and chorus in Rome, coinciding with its release as a double CD this fall, Rolling Stone reported April 29.
    "Ca Ira" was inspired by the French Revolution.
    Waters is also working on a rock album, saying he has enough songs to put an album out tomorrow, but he wants a more coherent collection.
    "I just keep smashing paint up against the canvas and waiting for it to make sense," he said

...The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum has two new inductees: Singer-songwriter Kris Kristofferson and former industry executive Jim Foglesong.
    The two got awards Sunday after musical salutes from artists including Ray Price, Guy Clark, Vince Gill, Billy Joe Shaver, The Oak Ridge Boys, T. Graham Brown and Garth Brooks.
    Kristofferson, 68, has written hits such as "Help Me Make It Through the Night," "Me and Bobby McGee" and "Sunday Morning Coming Down." A Rhodes Scholar, Kristofferson also is a successful actor with roles in movies such as "A Star is Born," "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" and "Payback."

...Britney Spears says she doesn't trust anyone else to look after her baby.
    The singer say she is prepared to quit her pop career to care for the baby she's expecting later this year with husband Kevin Federline.
    She says the couple will not hire a nanny reports IOL.com.
    She said: "I wouldn't trust anyone to look after my child, and if that means the end of my career, then so be it."

...On his third solo release, "Fused," due July 12, Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi didn't stray too far from his quintessential metallic solo past. Most notable is the old school track "I Go Insane," which at over nine minutes in length will leave metal fans feeling right at home.
    "I wanted to do a long track basically with a lot of different changes," Iommi tells Billboard.com. "And if I had had my way, they probably all would have been as long as that. I think it was good to do something finally with a bit of an extended version. I also wanted to play the album live. So, we all went into the studio together and played, which was great to do that way."

-1964 Beginning a career-long rivalry of sorts, the Rolling Stones' self-titled debut knocks With the Beatles off the top of the U.K. album chart. Stones manager Andrew Oldham has cleverly left the band's name off the album cover - a record industry first. In America, The Beatles' Second Album goes to No. 1 after only two weeks of release, the first-ever record to do so.
    -1965 Although he swore he would never allow the band to appear on his show again, Ed Sullivan plays host to the Rolling Stones for a second time. To prevent any disturbances among the group's fans, the Stones are locked in the Ed Sullivan Show studios for the entire day. They perform "The Last Time," "Little Red Rooster," "Everybody Needs Somebody," and "2120 South Michigan Avenue."
    -1972 Les Harvey, guitarist with soul/rockers Stone the Crows, is electrocuted after touching a faulty microphone onstage in Swansea, Wales. Harvey is thrown into the air and later dies in the hospital.
    -2000 Metallica chat online with fans about their Napster woes. The metal band has also turned over a list of 300,000 Napster users to the company, asking them to be barred from the file-sharing service.

...Todays Birthdays:
    Lou Gramm (Foreigner) 55, Englebert Humperdinck 69, Goldy McJohn (Steppenwolf) 60, Link Wray 70

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

...When you think of former Bauhaus frontman Peter Murphy, what comes to mind? Creepy cemeteries? Foggy London streets? Patchouli? How about sunny Lake Buena Vista, Florida? Because on May 12, that's where Murphy is kicking off his U.S. tour in support of his upcoming album, Unshattered. The goth god will hit up 12 cities on the tour, which concludes on May 28 in Anaheim, California

...On August 16, heavy-metal dinosaurs Stryper (an acronym for "Salvation Through Redemption Yielding Peace Encouragement and Righteousness"), the Christian rockers with an affinity for yellow-and-black spandex, will release Reborn, their first batch of new studio material since 1990's Against the Law. Original Stryper members Michael Sweet (lead vocals, guitar), Oz Fox (lead guitar) and Robert Sweet (drums) will be joined by new bassist Tracy Ferrie and are set to embark on a North American tour in support of the record this fall. Big3 Records also plans to release a live DVD by year's end

...The recording studio has not been kind to Paris Hilton.
    The person famous for being famous is working on her debut album but is having a hard time finding help.
    According to MTV, she recently approached Le Tigre, but nothing transpired. She also wanted to work with Black Eyed Peas but they've vetoed that idea. JC Chasez also recently told andPOP that while he sat in on a studio session, he had no plans to work with her.
    She does have a companion in Lil Jon, who will be producing a few tracks off the album.
    There is no name or release date yet for Ms Hilton's album.

...Lisa-Marie Presley was forced to placate Janet Jackson at a high-profile party held for her former sister-in-law ? because she was adamant guest Marilyn Manson was the "devil."
    The controversial shock rocker terrified Janet with his appearance, but the ex-wife of her troubled brother Michael greeted his presence with an entirely different response ? when she realized she was in the company of her heavy metal idol.
    Presley says, "I went with Janet Jackson to her record release party. He (Manson) came backstage with Billy Corgan. (Janet) was flipping out because she thought he was the devil.
    "I was completely star-struck. I had a crush on Marilyn during his 'Mechanical Animals' phase."

...Eagle Rock Entertainment, the leading independent source for high quality audio and audio/visual music programming, announces the relaunch of its hard rock and heavy metal label Spitfire Records. The relaunch includes new releases from The Duke, featuring former Stuck Mojo and Fozzy guitarist Rich Ward, and Georgia-based sleaze-rockers Nashville ***** .
    Additionally, starting May 2, Spitfire will lower prices on its extensive hard rock and heavy metal catalog, which includes Twisted Sister, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent and Dio. Other Spitfire recordings include Cradle of Filth, Overkill, Testament and Yngwie Malmsteen.

-1958 An Alan Freed rock 'n' roll package show in Boston ends in disarray after teenagers get into a skirmish with the police. The cops say Freed incited the crowd by telling them, "The police don't want you to have any fun here." Several people were injured in the melee.
    -1964 The British invasion continues as Gerry & the Pacemakers perform "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" on The Ed Sullivan Show.
    -1967 Beach Boy Carl Wilson appears in court on draft-evasion charges.
    -1976 Wings kick off their Wings Over America tour in Fort Worth, Texas. It's Paul McCartney's first American live show in 10 years.
    -1997 The Wallflowers perform in a Hard Rock Cafe parking lot to raise money for Give Kids to the World.
    -2000 Rapper DMX surrenders to Cheektowaga, N.Y., police after missing a court date in a speeding case. Police search him and discover marijuana. He is rearrested.

...Todays Birthdays:
    James Brown 77, Mary Hopkins 53, Steve Jones 50, Wynonna Judd 41, Frankie Valli 68
    readingnewspaper

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

...Rocker OZZY OSBOURNE has been diagnosed with Parkin Syndrome and will have to take daily medication for the rest of his life to combat the involuntary shudders associated with the condition.
    The former BLACK SABBATH star was given the all-clear for Parkison's disease in 2003, after he complained his tremors were "practically destroying (his) life".
    And the 56-year-old singer presumed his body shakes were a result of a lifetime of drug abuse, until doctors recently told him he has inherited the condition from his relatives.
    He says, "I'd always assumed it was the booze and stuff. Now I've found it all stems from the family. It's called Parkin but it's not Parkinson's. Anything to do with the central nervous system has the word Parkin in it.
    "A doctor in Los Angeles tried to tell me I had multiple sclerosis. And I believed him until I had a second opinion.
    "When I told my sisters she said, 'Not you as well? Mum had that and Auntie ELSIE and your grandma.'
    "I'm like, 'Thanks for f**king telling me'. Me walking around thinking I've got some drug paralysis."

...Country star MINDY McCREADY has been arrested and charged with drunken driving in Nashville, Tennessee.
    The TEN THOUSAND ANGELS singer was stopped yesterday in the suburb of Belle Meade after police said she was driving at a speed of 58 miles per hour in a 40 miles-per-hour zone.
    Police Corporal CANDACE MOWRY says the officer smelled alcohol in the vehicle and that McCready, 28, performed poorly on field sobriety tests. McCready refused to take a breath alcohol test.
    McCready was charged with driving under the influence, driving on a suspended licence and failure to take the breath test, says Mowry.
    The singer was booked into the Nashville jail and freed on$3,500 bond yesterday morning.
    While McCready denies that she was intoxicated and that her driver's licence is suspended, she does acknowledge breaking the speed limit.
    She says, "We all make mistakes. We're human. Hopefully, everyone - like I am - will have that attitude. I'm not upset."
    McCready is on three years' supervised probation after pleading guilty last year (04) to purchasing painkillers with a false prescription.

...Britney Spears is said to be devastated after Madonna refused to be her baby's godmother.
    Britney and Madonna have been friends for a few years and share an interest in the Kabbalah faith.
    Sources say Madonna turned down Britney saying she was too busy reports The Sun.
    An insider said: "Britney was so disappointed but told Madonna she understands."

...All sorts of rubbish turns up on internet auction site eBay, but if you look closely enough you can find yourself a little gem.
    And never has that been truer. Right now, among all the bric-a-brac and unwanted shoes, a date with none other than Carmen Electra is available to the highest bidder.
    The ex-Baywatch actress is up for sale to help raise money for a US cancer charity.
    So far there have been 71 bids - the highest currently standing at ?9,315.
    But you'd better get in there quick if you want to be in with a chance - bids close on Saturday.
    You'll also need to have a quick look in your pants and double-check you are a bloke aged between 15 and 20 - clearly, she likes 'em young.
    The lucky lad will get one night with Carmen - but they'll have to hand her back to her rock star husband, Dave Navarro, at the end. Sorry about that.

...Shirley Manson ran into trouble with security at a recent show after flashing her ta-tas -- covered in a flesh-colored bra -- while onstage.
    Manson was winding Garbage's set down at Washington D.C.'s 9:30 Club, when she lifted her shirt at the end of "Sex is Not the Enemy." Security guards, fearing that a set of displayed ***** would earn indecency charges, rushed the stage to block the audience's view of Manson's chest.

...Todays Birthdays:
    Phil "Zoom" Campbell (Motorhead) 44, Eagle Eye Cherry 36, Janis Ian 55, Bill Kreutzmann 59, Jerry Nolan (New York Dolls) 59, Prairie Prince (Tubes, Jefferson Starship) 55

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

...FOO FIGHTERS frontman DAVE GROHL miraculously recovered from a throat infection to perform a British concert this weekend after a doctor prescribed him whisky.
    The rocker was so desperate to play at UK radio station RADIO 1's ONE BIG WEEKEND extravaganza, he was prepared to try the novel remedy in addition to tried and tested antibiotics.
    Grohl's voice recovered sufficiently only minutes before he was due to take the stage at Sunderland, England's Herrington County Park - and he owes it all to his physician.
    He says, "I went to the doctors because I knew there was a problem with my throat and I knew we had to do this show.
    "There are some doctors who'll give you these super hulk tablets that'll make you get through it and some doctors who'll just tell you not to sing.
    "My doctor asked when my next show was and I said, 'Saturday'. He told me, 'You might not want to do that,' but I said, 'That's not an option.' So he put me on antibiotics and here I am. He told me to drink me more whisky."

...KELLY OSBOURNE was convinced she would be arrested after brawling at a nightclub with a girl who accused the singer of wearing a wig.
    The feisty SHUT UP songbird became involved in the vicious spat at her favourite London club - the Camden Barfly - last year (DEC04) after the fellow gig-goer pulled her hair to see if it was real.
    Osbourne dealt out her own kind of unrestrained justice on the mistaken girl, but then feared police officers would charge her with assault.
    She recalls, "It was a fist fight. This girl thought I was wearing a wig and thought she'd be funny. I had hair extensions in and she yanked them.
    "I smacked her in the face, she fell over and I ended up on the floor fighting with her.
    "Then I threw a bottle at her head. I thought I was going to be arrested."

...Funk/soul-legend James Brown's hometown of August, GA, will mark the singer's recent 72nd birthday by unveiling a bronze statue of the singer on Friday (5/6).
    Designed by Augusta physician and sculptor Dr. John Savage, the statue--which is approximately seven feet tall and weighs about 600 pounds--depicts the singer "wearing his trademark cape and holding a microphone," according to a press release.
    The statue will stand on Broad Street, opposite of Augusta Common.

...According to the official RAGE website, frontman Peter "Peavey" Wagner was hit by a car yesterday (May 6th) while riding his bike. The driver of the car reportedly failed to give him the right of way. The extent of Peavey's injuries are unknown, but he is in hospital and has undergone an operation on his arm.

...Guitarist Michael Schenker has posted the following message to the fans at his official website:
    "I am sorry to tell you that I have to cancel MSG's upcoming tour with Yngwie Malmsteen. It has turned out to be a catastrophe. The tour I agreed to was a co-headline deal with Yngwie closing the show. I was fine with this because he plays so loud and it would tend to deafen the delicate ears of my fans. However, reports have been coming in via e-mail, by phone, etc., that I was advertised only as a special guest. Yngwie himself was advertising it on his website that way too. MSG was not even mentioned on the London Hammersmith tickets. This is an insult to MSG and myself.

...Todays Birthdays:
    Sonny Curtis (The Crickets) 68, Robert Fripp 59, Martin Fry (ABC) 47, Richie Furay (Poco) 61, David Gahan (Depeche Mode) 43, Billy Joel 56, Tom Petersson (Cheap Trick) 55, Tommy Roe 63, The Late Dave Prather of Sam & Dave Fame, would be 68.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

I miss the EllaNewz....

Talk about FAIR and BALANCED!
    You could always count on the beanfield report!

Thanks a lot Roger and please do file new reports when you got 'em!

Won't ya?!?!
    [img]graemlins/martini.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]
    Gus