Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Imposter,
    Lost a girl...Livin' in N.Y.C. by myself...Havin' a rough time with being lonely. Not being where I wanted to be as a songwriter/singer...Maybe because I hated the road and the drugs and the bullshit of having to be on every night when you really didn't feel it. Mostly being alone, barely 20 and not having a clue how to continue with my life. At the first of many crossroads I guess. And then feeling this big, wonderful, loving embrace from New York in the late fall. Just not being ready for independence although wanting it desperately. We all think about suicide at one time or another and this was one of those times for me. I figured the best way to get rid of the thought was to write about it. So there you have it. Nice to know that my songs are appreciated. Try the new cd...It's got some more of my life.
    David

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

David,

Hey there and thanks for the info. I pretty much got the gist of the song, but it was good to hear your side of the story. It's most certainly something we can all relate to. I know I do 100%. Anyway, I already have "Caught Up In The Moment" and the "Last House" sdtk and I plan on buying the live album very soon. I actually almost bought that first but I thought "Caught Up" might be a better place to start. My little band has a gig tomorrow night and I can't wait to sing "New Yorks Times" tomorrow knowing the man himself gave me the lowdown on the heart and soul behind it. I don't know if you ever tour or anything but I'm sure you'll let us fans know on here if you. Rest assured if I can make it I'll be there!
    Thanks again mate!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Hey David,

I am part of a little 3 piece acoustic group called Katiebell. I'm not the lead singer but I take a vocal spot in the middle and as of late I've been doing your song "New York Times". Just a beautiful song, by the way.

I don't mean to pry, but would it be possible to get from you a little of the backstory there? I always introduce the song as being a favorite of mine from a "great writer and singer named David Hess" but I never really have anything to say about the story behind the song.

PS I saw your post where you mentioned being influenced by classical (dvorak, etc) and I went "I knew it!". I could tell from things like the instrumental flourishes on songs like "Daddy Put Your Coat..." and the dinner music from "Last House".

PPS - regarding "I Got Stung", how many writers can say both Elvis and McCartney covered their song??