Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

The Da Vinci Code - by Dan Brown

Speaking of "intellectual stimulation"...

Want to read this book together? My web friend "Zippy" and I each got copies last week and we're about to start it. We could pick a date and all comment chapter by chapter as we go along. Anyone up for it? (David, this is right up your alley!) No bitching about it being a pricey hardcover, people - Zippy and I got them for free from people who had already read them, and one could also get their TV-watching butt over to their local library! So...any takers?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I heard the book was really good. Alot of people here at work are reading it. I am reading Clive Barker's "In the Flesh" right now however.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What's a book? [img]wink.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I think I'm fairly smart but I really don't choose to involve myself in intellectually stimulating activites like reading, following politics, or the like. So I'll pass too unfortunately.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Of course! What WAS I thinking. Let's get back to the really important stuff:

Hey David, what's your favorite color?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll pass. After hearing of the book in passing several times, asked what it was about. The quick reviews tended to sound like DaVinci Code was a non-fiction work, which really intrigued me! Then a friend bought the book before noticing it was in the novel/fiction category, so gave it to me. I haven't read it yet, and unsure if ever will.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The color of love...sweet haht! Da Vinci had his own proclevities. The code is only one of them. He was a knight templar in hiding. Unconventional as it may seem, there still seems to be a great deal of mystery surrounding the 'death and ressurection'. Da Vinci just complicated the matter. The book's a good beginning for anyone who wants to follow the forgotten path. Let's make up some new myths on the website and maybe we'll seal our own immortality.
    David [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

David:

We wouldn't want to go too far in making up our own new myths, lest we mistakenly get it right and suffer the fate of the protagonists in Umberto Eco's "Focault's Pendulum."

Best,
    Damin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by rocketmaster:
    Of course! What WAS I thinking. Let's get back to the really important stuff:

Hey David, what's your favorite color?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm sorry Rocky. [img]redface.gif[/img] But speaking for myself, I have too much going on in my life and seemingly never enough time to do it as it is let alone getting involved with something like this. Sure we could all be like, "Yeah, great idea, when do we start?" While I don't think it's a bad idea, some of us just may not have time for it in our already busy lives. I barely find time to read and do my homework assignments without adding more for myself to do. Don't hate me. [img]frown.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I'm a few chapters in, and so far this book rocks. Although the subject matter is nestled in "fiction", the book is overflowing with historical fact. Presenting something as a novel and writing a compelling story around your facts is an effective way to impart information in an interesting manner...and it gives the writer an out to be able to tell people it's just a novel, or just a movie, when they start screaming their heads off about it. I don't mean like "Passion", which Gibson claims is 'indesputable fact', I mean more like Oliver Stone's "JFK". When you find the time, definitely give this a read.

Reved, you would dig this, you're missing out. Chapter 6 talks about how the church went about "demonizing" the innocent pagan customs and symbols, and how they perverted the meanings of words.

For example, the word "pagan", which many think means 'devil worshipper', comes from the Latin "paganus", meaning country dweller. Unindoctrinated country-folk who clung to the old rural religions of nature worship. People who lived in the rural "villes" - a 'villager' or in the tongue, "vilian" - a word which came to mean a wicked soul.

The pentacle was a symbol of the goddess of love, sex and beauty, Venus, specifically because the rotation of the planet Venus in the sky traces a perfect pentacle. Making the pagan goddess and the feminine as revolting as possible...consider the word "venereal".

<font color="#007FFF" size="1">[ March 16, 2004 04:26 AM: Message edited by: rocketmaster ]</font>