Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Coach Tom Turner passes away

Hate to hear about Coach Turner. My friends that played at Appalachia thought a lot of him.
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/rebelron/varsity08-600x312.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Coach Turner will forever be a legend in Southwest Virginia. He was a hard worker, a class act, and an inspiration to every boy who ever wore shoulder pads in Appalachia. I was fortunate enough to meet and talk with the man several times. He was such a kind hearted person. He truly cared for the kids. He will be missed but his influence will forever be engrained in the hills of Appalachia.
    "To be the man, you've got to beat the man."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

played at Burton, but respected this man everytime I played against him and his Dawgs.. Will be missed and his family will be in my prayers

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

tom turner was more than a coach, he tuaght us life lessons, how to be respectful to others,he tuaght us the to leave it all out on the field , for the few of us to have played for him we spent more time with him then our own family,hell he was family thanks for everything coach i'll miss you .
    "life aint nuthing but a funny funny riddle, thank god im a countryboy"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is a really sad day for swva football. I never knew the man but played against appy a couple of times. I wish his family the best of luck on going on with out him.
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." -Pre

Inactive Member imported_Sportsman's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Coach Turner

May God bless his soul and his family. I heard that Coach had given his life to the Lord in the past year or two. That's great news, though I too am saddened by his passing. He was one of a kind.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Coach Turner

Tom meant a lot to me. I grew up in Hopewell until I was 14. But every football season, dad would tell me of Tom's heroics during his days in Appy. I was facinated with Tom before I met him. The first time I met him was after the 1989 State game in Madison County. We drove up from Hopewell to watch. The first thing I noticed was the "chipmunk" cheeks he had due to the snuff and how soft he spoke. I couldn't wait to move to Appy and play for a man that I grew up hearing about like a legend. Tom tought me many things. I can only pray that I can teach the kids I coach 1/2 of what I learned. If I accomplish that, these kids will still know a ton. Tom had a gift as a Coach and a people person. I have cut a pasted the below statement I made about Tom on another thread. Tom will be missed and never replaced (dont take that the wrong way. I mean nothing negative towards Travis).

Tom and my Dad (the late Gary Summers) played on the perfect 71 team. That was Tom's senior year. But like you said, he is about 53 or 54. Still too soon to lose a man like that. Love Tom or hate him, he was a top notch guy that cared for ALL of him players. From his own son down to the kid that only came out one year and only seen 5 minutes of playing time all season. Tom made a concious effort to give each kid attention and teach them something about football that they could carry into their adult lives. Deb, Travis, Mandy, and Amber, our thoughts and prayers go out to you. We experienced this with my dad on New Years, so I understand the pain you feel. Just remember that many thoughts and prayers are en route to you and that Tom touched so many lives in so many ways. I loved him like a family member and will miss him terribly. I took my youngest son to see Tom at the Dawghouse just before he retired. He took us around and showed us pictures of when him and dad played. He was a coach, teacher, mentor, husband, and father. May Tom rest in peace and his life live on though memories. God bless you, Turner family.

"Do or do not, there is no try"...Yoda

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tom Turner wasn't only a excellent coach and an awsome athlete...but a good person most of all!!!...
    Coach you'll be missed greatly.......

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone know the cause of death?
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." -Pre