Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Steeler in trouble again

Steelers' Holmes charged with assaulting woman
    By RUSTY MILLER, AP Sports Writer
    June 19, 2006

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes pleaded not guilty Monday to charges of assaulting a woman, his second arrest since he was chosen in the first round of the NFL draft.

The 22-year-old former Ohio State star was arrested at an apartment just after midnight Monday on charges of domestic violence and simple assault, both misdemeanors, Sgt. Loucious Hollis said.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Holmes was released from the Franklin County jail on his own recognizance later on Monday after a brief court appearance. No trial date has been set.

"He's wrongly accused of domestic violence and assault," said Holmes' attorney, Sam Shamansky. "I'm confident as this case works its way through the system it'll be successfully resolved. He'll just continue to do what he does with a passion, and that's play football."

Police spokesman Sgt. Michael Woods said police received a call from a woman who said the father of her child had assaulted her. While the officers were making their report at the apartment, Holmes returned and was arrested without incident.

Police would not release the woman's name or details about what Holmes was accused of doing. Shamansky also declined to give the woman's name but said she was the mother of Holmes' 18-week-old daughter.

Before the draft, Holmes said he was hopeful that he would go high in the draft so he could support his three children.

The Steelers did not return a message seeking comment.

Holmes, a native of Belle Glade, Fla., was arrested previously in Miami Beach, Fla., on a charge of disorderly conduct during a Memorial Day weekend crackdown by local authorities.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher criticized Holmes the following week, but said he wouldn't hold the incident against the receiver.

"Whatever he did wrong, I don't think he handled it properly," Cowher said then. "I think he'll learn from it and understand the scrutiny he's under. We have not talked face to face about it. I don't have any long-term concerns."

Holmes, red-shirted as a freshman when Ohio State won the national championship, led the Buckeyes in receiving last season with 53 catches for 977 yards and 11 touchdowns. He gave up his final season of eligibility to make himself available for the draft.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Steeler in trouble again

Well I was excited that Pittsburgh drafted a quality wide receiver to hopefully boost their offense. If this stuff keeps happening though, I'm going to be really disappointed. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

just some vickitis...... wait, did he ever beat a woman?
    Cant we all just get along?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    Before the draft, Holmes said he was hopeful that he would go high in the draft so he could support his three children.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... nothing like being prepared. What if he broke his leg before the draft? He'd be flipping burgers and his family would be poor.
    National Finals Rodeo, starts November 30th

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

nah but im sure some people will just begin to throw all kinds of accusations out there
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

-Martin Luther King Jr.