Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Most Influential Sports Figure?

Who is the most influential sports figure of all time? Taking into account such things as success and/or dominance in their sport. What they had to overcome to be successful. What they meant to the overral popularity of their sport. Fan Dedication?...etc
    <FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.hostboard.com/LDPforum/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1152742315biggamesjames">

Most Influential Sports Figure
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Dale Earnhardt(Auto Racing)
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Michael Jordan(Basketball)
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />Joe Montana(Football)
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />Babe Ruth(Baseball)
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="5" />Muhammad Ali(Boxing)
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="6" />Tiger Woods(Golf)
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="7" />Jack Nicklaus(Golf)
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="8" />Lance Armstrong(Cycling)
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="9" />Wayne Gretsky(Hockey)
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="10" />Pele(Soccer)
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="11" />Bobby Fischer(Chess)
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Most Influential Sports Figure?

Pele or Michael Jordan....they are more recognized globally.

I would also throw in Roberto Clemente and Jackie Robinson.

[ QUOTE ]

Who is the most influential sports figure of all time? Taking into account such things as success and/or dominance in their sport. What they had to overcome to be successful. What they meant to the overral popularity of their sport. Fan Dedication?...etc
    [ QUOTE ]

Lance Armstrong. Battled cancer and become an icon in his sport.
    Most of the others had their problems. But honestly this one sticks out as a true fighter and champion of his sport.
    I like Ali, but even Elvis did his time in the military, and didn't change his name, and didn't use religious believes to not go. Only thing i fall out with about Ali.
    The others im not sure they fit all the criteria.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's all about the shoes.

Think about sports before Michael Jordan, not just basketball. You had about 3 blips of stardom selling something other than their sport. You had Mean Joe Greene selling Coke (with the best commercial ever), Broadway Joe selling pantyhose, and Bob Eucker vs. the world in The Miller Lite commercials (Tastes Great! Less Filling!)

You take those three blips, add in years of Wheaties boxes, and you have a platform from which Michael Jordan jumped. Think about all his national endorsements: Nike, Hanes, Ball Park franks, Rayovac, Gatorade, and MacDonald's. There was a time in the 90s you couldn't turn on the TV and NOT see a Jordan Commercial. He paved the way for all the new-era stars who sign insane deals right out of the cradle.

Don't you wanna be, wanna be, wanna be like Mike?

Add to that his insane dominance over his sport, his failed attempt to play another, his gravity defying jumps, and his unequaled competitive spirit.

Jordan is like Notre Dame football, the New York Yankees, or the Dallas Cowboys; you either love him or you hate him. There is no middle ground. That alone symbolizes greatness. The more you're hated, the more you're under the microscope, the more people cheer for you or against you, the more influential you have to be.

You ask about his contribution to his sport? Before Jordan, the NBA was in transition from the big-man dominated games of Chamberlain, Russell, and Abdul-Jabbar to the games of Bird and Magic. Jordan sealed the deal, no longer sought are the 7'4 guys who take up half an acre in the paint, Jordan would go around them. No longer sought are the 5'8 outside shooters, Jordan would post them up.

After Jordan, what has the question been? Who will be the next Jordan. From Harold Minor (Baby Jordan) to LeBron James, that mantle has been passed time and time again, with no one coming close (yet).

It's funny to me, but in 2000, when ESPN published SportsCentury, they had an article about Jim Thorpe. In 1950, he was selected as the #1 athlete of the first half-century by the Associated Press. Today he isn't as instilled in memory like some of his era, but if you look at what he did, it's amazing.

But look at it overall. Jordan was great. No Doubt.

However who else was involved in making him look good that, got no credit. Yet had to live in his past dominance.

This is overall. Not one sport. Like i said look at it all.

Jordan was and is a legend in basketball. But. Well that is it.
    The But.
    What else.
    Icon in basketball, but life struggles etc.

I consider Jordan the best in overall basketball. But this topic, hmm. I have to go with Lance.
    Battled not only in his sport, but life and came out on top, and set a standard for others, in not only life but his sport and inspired many.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Based on the criteria listed, I believe you have to go with Tiger. All those mentioned are great athletes, and many are huge icons and role models. But based on the things listed, Tiger gets a check beside each one. He's dominated his sport. Had to overcome a white dominated sport, in which many clubs allowed only whites, has a huge fan following, and has brought golf to many young kids, including minorities, who may have not been able to play before he came along.

Lance's story is great, and has provided inspiration for many to battle cancer, but I haven't heard a lot of stories about people going out and racing bikes in order to be like Lance.

Jordan will never top any of my lists. NBA basketball was tape delayed until Magic and Bird came anyway, so I think they paved the way for Jordan.

Can agree with that. Actually he was my 2nd choice.
    Only reason i didn't have him as my #1, was his grown up influences.
    To kind of lead and guide him.
    But he was my first thought based on the criteria.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was thinking almost the same on Bird/Magic, if not for them, we might have seen Jordan the baseball player years earlier.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arthur Ashe?
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Inactive Member imported_MoonlightGraham's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think if you read Larry Bird's biography some of your answers might change.

He had a very hard life growin up on the farms.
    Indiana told him he couldnt play for them.
    Had to overcome a black dominated sport.

There is a reason when someone says best shooter, most people think of Bird.
    [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i42/stinmeister/untitled-2.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast