Word is GC got pretty banged up in the scrimmage in Kentucky and may be missing some people on the field tonight. I'll go Richlands by 14.
Printable View
Word is GC got pretty banged up in the scrimmage in Kentucky and may be missing some people on the field tonight. I'll go Richlands by 14.
<u>Powell Valley vs Lee High</u>
GAME OF THE WEEK - The consensus seems to be that 2008 will be a major rebuilding year for the Vikings having bit hard by graduation. At the same time, comments I'm hearing from folks in the community is that they are optimistic for a good year. They'll be facing an improved Lee High team. I think PV takes yet another win in the Battle of the Boot.
<u>Appalachia vs Castlewood</u>
Appalachia Coach Roger Austin says "I'm not describing it as a rebuilding year. We're working with what we got and we'll do the best that we can with what we got.' What more could you ask for? "Rebuilding" or not, the Dawgs are at a disadvantage of having one of the youngest rosters in the Region. Castlewood comes back from a 7-3 season that ended in disappointment and loses several seniors and starters as well. Castlewood RB Ryan Phillips looks to be one of the players to watch in the CD in 2008. I think Castlewood gets a decisive win.
<u>JIB vs Rye Cove</u>
The Raiders return one of , if not the, best offensive teams in the Region with a very impressive running game. Despite the loss of Ethan Stewart, JIB hasn't lost any speed on offense. Though the Raiders have some work to do on defense, they should roll against the War Eagles.
<u>JJ Kelly vs Twin Springs</u>
Some have predicted JJK to finish in the top three of the LPD in 2008, and the potential is there. While the Indians made a good showing in their pre-season scrimmage against Lee High, they struggled with a very good Lebanon team. Neverthless, I think this should be an opportunity for the Indians to get their season off to a good start with a win over the Titans.
<u>Pound vs Patrick Henry</u>
Not sure what to expect from Patrick Henry, but I think the Wildcats will have to wait for their first win of the season.
<u>Gate City vs Richlands</u>
This game also has the potential to be the GAME OF THE WEEK. The Blue Devils made their impact in 2007 rebounding from a disappointing season and making a run for the state championship. The biggest deficit facing GC this year is filling the void left by Tyler Parks, and that wont' be easy. Richlands made an impact of their own in the past three years, with three consecutive state championship runs, claiming the title in 2006. Richlands must fill some voids too, most notably VT recruit Austin Fuller. This should be an exciting game at Legion. I predict GC to get the win in a close game.
Now why the Lebanon vs. Honaker (Russell County clash) is getting no predictions I will never know. I guess we are seeing just how much respect we truly have among all of you schools out there. I guess I will just have to put my two cents in on these games.
Powell Valley vs Lee High
GAME OF THE WEEK - I do believe that this is the GAME OF THE WEEK. Lee High is a great power again on the rise and the one team that will challenge the Pioneers for the CMD title this year. I wouldnt mind going to scout this one. I've been hearing a lot of good things coming out of Lee County.
Appalachia vs Castlewood
Cant pick against our Russell Co. brothers on this one. And while Appalachia may be rebuilding, Castlewood should be the favorite to win the CD. Not many football powers there anyway.
JIB vs Rye Cove
This game should be called the ROUT OF THE WEEK. Who needs a QB when you have all the speed they have. I'd line up my TBs and let them go whichever way they want against this team.
JJ Kelly vs Twin Springs
I like this guy. He's one person who has actually given props to us Pioneers. Even in his write up on this game, he pretty much told the truth for the CMD this year: Pioneers #1, Generals #2. TS.... another long year. JJK.....playoffs.
Pound vs Patrick Henry
With a guy who has won two Super Bowls on his resume, been a student of the game under Coach Belicheck in New England, I'd have to say that the unknown Rebels from Patrick Henry could be very well known in the Hogoheegee before long. Anyone who can knock off GW off their high horse... I'm a huge fan of.
Gate City vs Richlands
Ok. This is the most overhyped game I've ever seen. Calling this game the GAME OF THE WEEK is like calling ....... the US OLYMPIC BASKETBALL TEAM VS. ANGOLA the battle for the basketball universe. The Tornado lost Austin Fuller: one player to VT. I saw GC play last year. I'll give props where it deserves to be.. Fuller was a great player. But if Skyler or the Parks kid had a line like that to run behind, they might be going to VT too. I'm sure that Richlands will find someone to zig and zag behind that massive line of theirs. And another thing I've been hearing? These guys called the Roadgraders? When the Richlands line goes up to meet them.... I think the massive Roadgraders will be transformed into lil Massey Fergusons when they run into the Richlands Roadgraders. You have to admit. The dudes are huge. GC is all talk. When they score, yeah their fans are up dancing and partying like its 1999. They have their "mascot" running up and down the visitors side carrying a big GC flag and they are taunting the other team. But when things are rough, they sit on their hands and sit still like a frog in a pot of boiling water that doesnt know he is slowly dying and tell their "flag waving mascot" to go home that he isn't needed anymore.... poor guy. When our Pioneers get down, our fans get up and encourage the players and stand up for them no matter what. Thats football fans and thats football. I'll have to admit the truth. GC fans... they are spoiled. If something doesnt go their way, they sit and pout about it. I'm not putting people down, I'm just telling the truth. Go to Legion Field tonight and when GC gets down to Richlands, watch how eerily quiet it gets on the Home side and how the players start turning up to the fans and telling them to get up... and the fans just look at them like they are crazy.
Its a microcosm of our nation. When things are good and people are all in for something, they're up and all about it. When things are going bad, they look somewhere else and point the blame at whoever and sit on their hands and dont try to get the fire back again. Its a shame. A program that has had so much success in the past that it has dwindled to this.
Thats why Pioneer football will always be #1 and will be #1 this year.
Does anyone smell a hint of envy?
He should have more than a "hint" of worry. I can't believe that Lebanon only beat that God awful Honaker team by 2 points. Sheesh.
He's right, GC looked horrible tonight. I sure hope we get the kinks out next week at Tazewell. (sarcasm intended)
Is Tyler Parks playing ball anywhere?
I cannot believe that the Honaker-Lebanon score was that close. CLintwood handled Honaker with ease.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UTFAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cannot believe that the Honaker-Lebanon score was that close. CLintwood handled Honaker with ease. </div></div>
Coeburn gave Clintwood a better game than Honaker.
Lebanon turned it over 4 times tonight, that can kill you.