0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: SEC Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    Stripes, you are a UT fan, settle this for us;
    Who would you rather have, Patrick Patterson or Wayne Chism.
    So Stripes picking one settles something? I don't care what he says. I just don't like Patterson that much. I don't think Patterson has a chance at NPOY but I'd say Wall does.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nope, still wrong.

Cal is 2-2 against Bruce Pearl while at Memphis.
    source: Calipari 'can't stand orange,' Pearl fires back GoVolsXtra

and Vernardo has zero offensive skills, he is no threat on offense, where Patterson plays great defense to go along with all his offensive skills.

theres a difference between you not liking Patterson and saying Chism is a better player. If you are just saying youd rather have Chism over Patterson for another reason I wont argue, but saying Chism is a better player than Patterson is nuts, and not true.

Patterson was pre-season SEC POY, what makes you think he isnt capable of winning national POY?? If they make the final four and he averages 22 points and 15 rebounds, how could he not be POY?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You're right again on the record. I thought Pearl got there in 06. I had worse things on my mind in 05 I guess. Still in 05 Pearl had a team that went 14-17 the year before and only lost by 9.

Vernardo isn't much on offense but what he brings on defense alone I'd take him over either Chism or Patterson. The difference in Vernardo's defense is as much a difference between Patterson's offensive skill set comparably.

Your reading is slipping or you're reaching, I never said "Chism is a better player". I said I'd take Chism over Patterson. I've never been impressed with Patterson. He disappears at times. Chism right now is 4th in rebounds all time at UT. I like that he can step outside and make shots. I like that at times he can be unstopable in the paint. I like that he's always hustling. I don't like that at times he takes some horrible shots. I don't like that at times he gets pushed around some in the paint. I think he's a good kid and I like what he can do. I'm not saying he's better, I'm saying I prefer him as a player. I'm not saying Patterson is horrible or anything else. I just prefer Chism. There's no right or wrong, stripes can't settle any debate. It's just a difference of opinion.

Another thing that makes me think Patterson won't win NPOY, he plays in the SEC. I think the SEC is a lot better this year than last, I think if he plays to some incredible, unfathomable level that I don't think he can that he still wont get it because it will be said that the conference in weak. The winner of that will more than likely come from the Big East, Big 12, or the ACC.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I thought you were saying Chism is a better player. If you just perfer Chism I cant argue.

I think you are under valuing Patterson on defense, his sophomore year he averaged 2 blocks per game.

the SEC will be good this year, but I do see your point, the POY award usually goes to a big name senior who will never do **** in the NBA, so id say it goes to Harangody, the most OVERRATED player in the country. He is terrible, and chokes in big games. I cant stand him.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I CAN'T STAND JP PRINCE...... that's all
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Im pretty much with Lung on that one Biggin. It just depends on the system. I dont think Patterson would work well in UTs system because he isn't as quick or have the range of Chism and I dont think Chism would have worked well in what UK has done. Neither will be an impact player at the next level.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation CP7's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

FYI, Patterson worked out in California all summer in order to become more effective from the outside. As of now he is shooting 37% from behind the arc.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

SEC basketball as a whole is pretty down this year, which is saying something since they only sent 3 teams to the tournament last year

UK - will definitely get in, they're pretty dang talented, but much lesser teams are staying with them for far too long...that's gonna catch up to them

UT - will get in, they're also talented, and well-coached, I think they'll steal one from UK at home

South Carolina - will probably get in, but they might need some help from mid-majors...Downey is good, I like the freshman Jackson

Vanderbilt - might get in, but I'd put them more on the outside as the year goes along...Ogilvy is pretty good but the rest of the team is average-below average

Florida - will not get in, they've got a lot to build before they get back to the national stage

Georgia - will be lucky to get to the CBI

Ole Miss - might get in, they're probably in the same position as SC

Miss St - might get in if Sidney gets cleared, they already have a bad loss, and will undoubtedly pick up more Ls against UK, UT and Ole Miss

Alabama - will not get in, but Anthony Grant will have them ready in 2 years for a decent run

LSU - how far they have fallen...they won't get in

Arkansas - they have a lot of discipline issues, they won't get in

Auburn - definitely won't get in...see Georgia

I see 2 definites, 4 maybes...but I highly doubt all 6 get in...I'm gonna put the number at 4

the conference as a whole already has some pretty bad losses...there are only 3 undefeated teams left in the conference...tied with the PAC-10 as the lowest among the BCS conferences...and the PAC-10 is pretty flippin awful this year

if I'm playin the hypothetical game that is apparently popular here I'd rank the BCS conferences like this...

1. Big 12
    2. ACC
    3. Big Ten
    4. Big East
    5. SEC
    6. PAC-10

the ACC doesn't have the top flight teams this year, though Carolina could get there...but 1-10 are all good to above average teams

Big 12 has the two teams who I picked pre-season to play in the title game Kansas and Texas, then some pretty good teams in Oklahoma, OKSt, Missouri and Baylor

Big Ten has Mich St, Purdue, Minnesota, Michigan and Illinois...and Ohio State and Wisconsin are solid teams as well...Iowa and IU suck

I'd put the Big Ten over the ACC but not until the Big Ten actually comes close to winning a ACC/Big Ten challenge
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gcdevil22 View Post
    I'd put the Big Ten over the ACC but not until the Big Ten actually comes close to winning a ACC/Big Ten challenge
    ACC only won it 6-5 last year.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

and 10 out of the 11 teams in the Big Ten have losing records in the Challenge...whereas only 3 ACC teams have losing records

2008 was tied 3-3 at the end of day 2...but with Carolina, Wake and Maryland all playing (and winning) on the last day

Wisconsin even needed a buzzer-beater to beat VT and get the first win

there have been 10 ACC-Big Ten Challenges and the Big Ten have won 0

it's hard to put the Big Ten over the ACC when theyve never beaten them in this head-to-head...if they don't win this year it will be a long time before they will again, the Big Ten is stronger than it normally is and the ACC doesnt have the elite teams...some good matvh-ups for the Big Ten too
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast