Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: If Turner loses to JI Burton this year that puts us in . . .

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: If Turner loses to JI Burton this year that puts us in .

If Turner was a solid coach, Lee High would have kept him. In time, he'll ruin a decent foundation and program. Take my word for it. Instead of embracing a difficult schedule in the future, as we always have, we'll get kicked around this next year. Then, we'll make the schedule easier. We'll take mean ole richlands, va high, lebanon, and Gate City off the schedule and replace them with Eastside, Rye Cove, and Twin Springs so T can courageously get us to the playoffs where we'll proceed to get killed by the top seeds. As long as he's our coach, we'll never compete for state.

If we beat Clintwood, which we didn't, or Burton, which we wont, really what accomplishment is it? THERE IS NONE! They're less than half our size. We've consolidated and gotten worse. I predict that we'll finish 5-5 with immensely more talent on the roster than PV had last year, and harlan's not even on our schedule this year. btws, I'm not convinced that we will beat central.

So let me ask you . . . if we finished winless in the LPD and miss the playoffs, would you all even question his ability to do this job?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnIoNfAn View Post
    Travis will be a top of the line head coach. He isnt affraid to gamble on 4th (which i love), and he can get the kids fired up to play. My only fault is like i mentioned earlier, too many chiefs and not enough indians. Just like someone else said a minute ago, Travis is head coach and he'll take the heat for his coaching staff. As far as Austin being a better coach than travis, lets give it 5 years and revisit that statement. One problem we have down here in Unionville (big stone and appy's new name BTW) is we jump the gun. 14 state rings out of 18 trys i think it is has really spoiled us and im affraid that we may be to quick to crucify a young coach. Travis is younger than most coaches in the state and he was thrown into the biggest mess that has happened in wise county since the bread and chicken house closed in big stone gap. He (travis) has really got these kids to pull together and work out and be excited about football again! thats something that is worth more than a state championship on opening season. The problem that i have been seeing is that us older viking and bulldogs really want a winning team and well damnitt it takes time. Lets back up a pinch and let travis coach for 5 years. If after 5 years he is making the same mistakes and doing the same wrong things, then lets put him to the curb and look for a new coach. Until that 5 year period is up we cant say what kind of coach Travis Turner will be. IMO he'll do great
    five years is way to long to give somebody a chance. And you really have to clearly define what you mean by "being successful." We are now the biggest Group A high school in the Commonwealth. Success means competing for a state championship once out of every 4 years. The district championship is really meaningless, because they aren't our size, and it's only a slap in the face if you lose.

My biggest gripe deals with the fact that he was absolutely given the job. He had no head coaching experience. How can you possibly expect a man to undertake this job and be successful with NO HEADCOACHING EXPERIENCE. Palmer was an excellent choice. Adams would have at least been worth a call. Nick Colobro is all dressed up with no place to go. Hell, go after Barry Jones and ask him to come back.

The facts are these. We're going to grossly underachieve this season. In fact, we already have. Next year will be a down year. We will not be better, and probably will have a losing season unless something miraculous happens. I'm thinking 4-6 or 3-7. By year three, we need 8 wins, and 2 games deep into the playoffs. By year four, we really should be talking 4 or 5 games deep into the playoffs. This is not grade school day camp. This is NOT the job for him to learn as he goes. This is the job to take after you've established yourself as a good coach, not one to "grow into."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lpd_observer View Post
    five years is way to long to give somebody a chance. And you really have to clearly define what you mean by "being successful." We are now the biggest Group A high school in the Commonwealth. Success means competing for a state championship once out of every 4 years. The district championship is really meaningless, because they aren't our size, and it's only a slap in the face if you lose.

My biggest gripe deals with the fact that he was absolutely given the job. He had no head coaching experience. How can you possibly expect a man to undertake this job and be successful with NO HEADCOACHING EXPERIENCE. Palmer was an excellent choice. Adams would have at least been worth a call. Nick Colobro is all dressed up with no place to go. Hell, go after Barry Jones and ask him to come back.

The facts are these. We're going to grossly underachieve this season. In fact, we already have. Next year will be a down year. We will not be better, and probably will have a losing season unless something miraculous happens. I'm thinking 4-6 or 3-7. By year three, we need 8 wins, and 2 games deep into the playoffs. By year four, we really should be talking 4 or 5 games deep into the playoffs. This is not grade school day camp. This is NOT the job for him to learn as he goes. This is the job to take after you've established yourself as a good coach, not one to "grow into."
    This is not the job it would have been in the 90s. Just thought you may have forgot to add that on there.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Inactive Member 3ydsandacloudofdust's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AHS95 View Post
    here is an idea next time you see him since you know him so well tell him how you feel about him being a coach and dont talk behind a computer screen. he will do fine if he can get rid of the rest of robbins crap he left they are in bad need of some good position coaches
    Bad need of good position coaches? Get a clue! No one in this area has as much talent coaching wise as Union. And at that most are young and gonna get better. Travis and his staff are doing fine. With the exception of the Clintwood game. Rome wasnt built in a day so Union won't be either. Ya gotta remember Union is pretty banged up at the moment. As long as they stay positive and keep doing the right things, the adversity and strength of schedule will make them stronger.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

dawgman and lpd ogserver are both Bobby Reynolds "clones" Always putting someone down, especially ANYONE, OR ANYTHING having to do with our new schools. Get a grip on life, dude.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by centennialdawg View Post
    dawgman and lpd ogserver are both Bobby Reynolds "clones" Always putting someone down, especially ANYONE, OR ANYTHING having to do with our new schools. Get a grip on life, dude.
    I've got a grip, I don't care if the Bears win or lose. I think it's funny that now the Bears have lost 3 games the back stabbing starts, the finger pointing and the blame game has started When I was leaving the game at North, people were complaining and the football players were blaming each other, should be a very interesting day at school Monday can't wait to get there.
    [img]http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i92/chilo0907/obama.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l276/fanofreed41/obama_button.png[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Travis Turner's first game was a loss, if I remember correctly (Sully North at home.). Huff wanted to play fullback (straight from his lips) and Travis was the QB. One of the "fans" comes out with " Tom played his boy and not Huff, de coach is getting too old, we need to get rid of him." When I asked him if he knew that Appy had lost 3 games over the 2 previous seasons and opening night of the third , he just kinda said "hunh?" And the guy that said Lee would have kept him? Lee can't keep anybody- things haven't been too good there lately.
    Last edited by simple man; October 10th, 2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: can't spull
    We'll keep the lights on for you.
    Spuds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They offered Turner the job down there and he would not take it because of all the stuff that was going on down there. As a matter of fact, Tom was offered the job too, several years ago and he refused it. This came straight from Richard Stapleton's mouth while he was still the AD down there.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by simple man View Post
    And the guy that said Lee would have kept him? Lee can't keep anybody- things haven't been too good there lately.
    Not been much to keep.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beamer_ball View Post
    Not been much to keep.
    not trying to be a smart alec here but Turner's record this season is better than palko's so idk if id be making comments that turner is not as good as what you have.