Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Daily Devotional

April 3, 2004

Chess Master
    Read: Isaiah 48:17-22

He caused the waters to flow from the rock for them; He also split the rock, and the waters gushed out. "?Isaiah 48:21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An intriguing painting is on display in the Louvre in Paris. It portrays Faust (the legendary German magician who bartered away his soul to the devil) sitting across from Satan at a chessboard. Satan is gloating over what appears to be the checkmate of Faust's king. The magician's expression is that of a beaten man.

According to an often told story, a famous chess master visited the gallery one day and studied the painting with great care. All at once he startled everyone around him by shouting excitedly, "It's a lie! It's a lie! The king and the knight have another move."

Isaiah assured the people of Judah that God always provides a way of escape. Although they would be deported to Babylon because of their sinfulness, Isaiah prophesied that a future day of release would come when they would have to leave hurriedly. But they wouldn't have to worry. Just as God had provided water for the Israelites in the desert, He would also provide for them on their long trek homeward.

Many of us have experienced situations that appeared hopeless. We saw no way out, but we prayed and God opened a way. He made that "impossible" move. We can trust Him. He can never be checkmated. "?Herb Vander Lugt

When problems seem impossible
    And we can't face another day,
    The Lord extends His helping hand
    And shows us He can make a way. "?Sper

God is the only King who can never be defeated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

those last two was great jack good job man. keep it up.
    "Take em one at a time and everything else will take care of itself"...Ole Tob

Inactive Member Jack_N_The_Green's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I may not be back on here tonight seeing as the time is going to change...gotta get in bed, so i'm gonna go ahead and post tomorrow's! Happy reading and God bless!
    Remember, tomorrow is Palm Sunday! The day Jesus entered the city, and next week is Easter, so prepare your hearts and minds for these two events and all the events this upcoming week!
    April 4, 2004

The Stones Cry Out
    Read: Luke 19:29-40

If these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out. "?Luke 19:40

I received a letter from a woman who told me she had grown up in a troubled home. At an early age she ran away, began a life of crime, and spent time in jail. Later, ensnared by drugs, she felt that the only way out of her sin-darkened life was suicide.

At that point, because of the witness of two women who told her about Jesus, she put her trust in the Savior and found a reason for living. Soon she wanted to tell others about Jesus. She had some artistic ability, so she began to paint Bible verses and spiritual sayings on smooth stones she collected from beaches. She sold them and used the money to aid missionary causes. Those stones were her way of telling others about Jesus.

This woman's story reminds me of what Jesus said as He approached Jerusalem a few days before His crucifixion. The multitude declared, "Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord!" (Luke 19:38). When the Pharisees told Jesus to quiet the crowd, He said that if the people were silenced, even the stones would cry out (v.40).

Of course, Jesus wasn't talking about painted stones, but it is still true that even if our verbal witness is silenced, there are all sorts of ways to tell others about Christ. What "stones" can you use to tell others of your Savior and King? "?Henry Bosch

Through transformed eyes, Lord, help us see
    A world of people in despair,
    And help us reach them with Your love,
    To show them that we really care. "?Sper

I'm just a nobody telling everybody about Somebody who can save anybody!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hope everyone's having a great Palm Sunday! Wow! What a great day it is today! Remember, next week is Easter! Don't forget the real reason we celebrate it, it's not for the candy, it's for Jesus!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

April 5, 2004

Love That Lifts
    Read: Psalm 40:1-3

They called upon the Lord, and He answered them. "?Psalm 99:6

When King David looked back on his life, he remembered some painful experiences. In Psalm 40, he recalled one especially severe difficulty, a time when he felt as if he had sunk deep into "the miry clay" (v.2).

In his despair David kept pleading with God for deliverance, and graciously the Lord answered his desperate cries. Lifting him out of the "horrible pit," He set his feet on solid ground (v.2). No wonder David broke out into this hymn of praise and gratitude! As you look back on your own life, do you remember any experience when you felt as if you had fallen into a pit? Perhaps it was the pit of failure, the pit of bereavement, the pit of painful illness, the pit of dark doubt, the pit of some persistent sin. Did you keep crying out to God, and did He mercifully deliver you?

If so, are you still praising the Lord for that answer to your cries and thanking Him for His grace? And are you now walking with Him in obedient fellowship?

You can confidently trust the Lord to help you in whatever experience comes your way in the days ahead. Rejoice that in His time He can"?and will"?bring you through and bring you out. "?Vernon Grounds

Why must I bear this pain? I cannot tell;
    I only know my Lord does all things well.
    And so I trust in God, my all in all,
    For He will bring me through, whate'er befall. "?Smith

God can bring showers of blessing out of storms of adversity.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

April 6, 2004

Valley Of The Shadow
    Read: Psalm 23

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me. "?Psalm 23:4

Darkness upon darkness. Sorrow upon sorrow. Pain upon pain. Anguish upon anguish. That's death.

Death is a fearful visitor, snatching away people who are precious to us and leaving us behind to mourn, grieve, and wonder. It blocks the light that before had shined so freely and easily on our lives.

Whether we're facing the prospect of dying, or dealing with the death of a loved one, death can be devastating. It can sap our energy, change our plans, overwhelm our soul, alter our outlook, test our faith, steal our joy, and challenge our assumptions about life's purposes.

When we walk through the deep valley, we feel swallowed up by the shadow and come face-to-face with fear. The frantic emptiness of our loss threatens the comfort that previously originated from our trust in God, and so we grow afraid. Afraid of our future. Afraid to enjoy life again.

Yet in that valley, under that shadow, we can say to the Lord, "I will fear no evil; for You are with me" (Psalm 23:4). His loving arms never let us go. He is always with us.

Slowly at first, but most assuredly, He provides comfort and release from the darkness. He gives light. He leads us out. Eventually, we escape the valley of the shadow. "?Dave Branon

We need not ponder death with fear,
    Though what's ahead we cannot see;
    For we who put our faith in Christ
    Look forward to eternity. "?Sper

Death separates us for a time; Christ will reunite us forever.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

April 7, 2004

Keep On Asking
    Read: Luke 11:1-13

I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you. "?Luke 11:9

I heard a woman say that she never prayed more than once for anything. She didn't want to weary God with her repeated requests.

The Lord's teaching on prayer in Luke 11 contradicts this notion. He told a parable about a man who went to his friend's house at midnight and asked for some bread to feed his unexpected visitors. At first the friend refused, for he and his family were in bed. Finally he got up and gave him the bread"?not out of friendship but because the caller was so persistent (vv.5-10).

Jesus used this parable to contrast this reluctant friend with our generous heavenly Father. If an irritated neighbor will give in to his friend's persistence and grant his request, how much more readily will our heavenly Father give us all we need!

It's true that God, in His great wisdom, may sometimes delay His answers to prayer. It's also true that we must pray in harmony with the Scriptures and God's will. But Jesus moved beyond those facts to urge us to persist in prayer. He told us to ask, seek, and knock until the answer comes (v.9).

So don't worry about wearying God. He will never tire of your persistent prayer! "?Joanie Yoder

Don't think true prayer escapes God's ears,
    He hears your every plea;
    Though hope's deferred, believe"?believe!
    The answer you will see. "?Anon.

God never tires of our asking.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Daily Devotional

Seeing as some of you all have watched *The Passion* and have come to a relavation in your life, how many of you would like for me to post a devotional every day on here. I can't promise every day, because of course, i go out of town sometimes, but maybe post a devotional as often as possible?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

April 8, 2004

Bearing His Cross
    Read: Mark 15:16-21

They compelled a certain man, Simon a Cyrenian, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to bear His cross. "?Mark 15:21

In the eyes of most people in the crowd, Jesus was a common criminal going to the place of execution. So to help Him bear His cross was both degrading and humiliating.

Simon of Cyrene was pressed into this service (Mark 15:21). Yet this was perhaps the most glorious day in his life. It is possible that he believed in the Savior, and that his wife and children did also. Some Bible teachers come to that conclusion because many years later, when the apostle Paul sent his greetings to the Christians in Rome, he referred to a man named Rufus and his mother (Romans 16:13). I believe that he was the son of Simon mentioned by Mark in his gospel (15:21), which probably was written in Rome. This is likely the reason Mark said that Simon was the father of Rufus and Alexander.

When we walk with Jesus and "take up the cross" (Luke 9:23), we too will experience the ridicule of the world for identifying ourselves with the Savior. Yet through it all, like Simon of Cyrene, our lives will be transformed, and our testimony will have an influence on the lives of family and friends around us.

Simon was "compelled" to bear the cross (Mark 15:21), but Jesus invites us to take up our cross. Have you? "?Henry Bosch

"Take up thy cross and follow Me,"
    I hear the blessed Savior call;
    How can I make a lesser sacrifice
    When Jesus gave His all? "?Ackley

Following Jesus costs more than anything"?except not following Him.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Happy Good Friday! I asked Burrhead if he would pin this at the top, so hopefully this will reach more ppl. this way!

April 9, 2004

Three Crosses
    Read: Luke 23:32-38

They crucified Him, and the criminals, one on the right hand and the other on the left."?Luke 23:33

In many paintings of the crucifixion of Jesus, the center cross on which He hung is taller or higher on a hill than the other two. We can appreciate an artist's desire to give Christ a place of preeminence, but we have no reason to believe that Jesus was given an elevated or exalted position "? higher than that of the two thieves. Those who crucified Jesus considered Him to be a common criminal, so the crosses were most likely on the same level.

As I think about this, I realize that Jesus was not out of reach "? way above the poor sinners on the other crosses. I also think it is likely that the three crosses were very close together. The two thieves could carry on a conversation with each other above the shouting and tumult of the mob around them. In fact, if the dying thief's hand had not been nailed to the cross, he might very well have been able to reach over and put his hand on Jesus' hand. This I believe is significant. Jesus is within reach of all who will look to Him and touch Him with the hand of faith!

Yes, anyone can come to Him and receive forgiveness and new life. Have you reached out in faith to the One who died on a cross for you? "?M. R. De Haan, M.D.

They nailed His hands, they pierced His brow
    As they cried with a fiendish glee,
    "If Thou be the Son of God, come down!"
    But He stayed on the cross for me! "?Crooks

Nothing speaks more clearly of God's love than the cross.