Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 162

Thread: Consolodation?

  1. #101
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh yeah

    Norton is a city and as such operates outside the County of Wise as far as the school system goes the Wise County School board has no control over Norton City schools do things.......However I have heard rumers that Norton might start having finacual problems when they lose Walmart (Moveing out of the Norton city limits) and the tax revanews that go with it. So who knows what will happen

  2. #102
    Inactive Member imported_hhstigerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 12th, 2003
    Posts
    277
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh yeah

    Lexington operates two elementary schools independently and sends their high schoolers to Rockbridge County High School. South Boston was also in a similar situation before they ended their independent status completely, I believe their kids go to Halifax County.

  3. #103
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Oh yeah

    Knowing the challenges and the amount of money needed. At some point. Consolidation is the only true answer. Especially if we want to have and do what is best for the future of Wise County and the children.
    I know that is something that no one wants to hear. But the reality is. We can not afford to keep operating at the rate we are.
    The Board of Supervisors, well their plate is full. They have an agenda that is staggering. Their idea is much like mine. Let the administration, board and citizens work it out then bring it to us. One even suggested to me a time to let things be calm. And then work for what all want. But do it as one group. Not 3 or 4.
    As was outlined. Wise County could build 3 new schools, add in what is needed and it be less than the original $54 million dollars. State of the art schools and facilities. And in a way that would let the county maybe set about a new standard for doing such task.
    Im not jumping boat on consolidation. I will admit i have my draw backs to it. Not just due to sports either.
    But educational value. That one on one you get at smaller schools.
    Just like one reason some student choose to go to MECC their first time for college. Some of it is based on cost, some and alot is based on the fear of the unknown. Their still in a smaller environment, but still have that one on one in most classes, that they were accustomed to in highschool.
    But the pictue is clear. Our schools are facing challenges, that can not be met.
    Had past county and school administration and this administration done what was right. Things would not of been nearly as bad. But that is said done and in the past.
    Now to look at the future.
    The problems in doing such, is making all see what is needed and getting everyone to see the same point. And some understanding of what needs to be done, for the best of the county overall and the children.
    This is not something that will begin tomorrow or next year. Probably not for quite some time.
    First, there has to be a solid and firm working relationship between all involved. Administration, board, and citizens. And it needs to be a working relationship that includes citizens, from each community involved. As i said. Many citizens see things some at the top do not. And it must be said straight out. That we will not lose any of our teachers, that is one thing, that upsets many in these times we face. Economic uncertainity.
    Second, do some brain storming to answer and look at all questions involved, and maybe some more insight and new questions may arise as this is looked into.
    Third, Funding. How and when and at what total cost. And at what cost to the taxpayers of Wise County. This needs to be looked at and discussed to death. It will be a huge debt and one we do not want to pass on to our children, then have them having to go back and make up for our mistakes.
    Fourth, get all our ducks in order and then put it all out there the way it should be. Showing the communities involved what has been looked into, and what has been derived from the information received. A full approach with cost analysis and how it can be achieved and paid for, let the input come in, and have something to back up the questions that may be ask. Use the input. See if some of it may be helpful, see that it is something looked at. One simple word at Lee High would of saved a lot of problems. That word enrollment. No one considered the figures and the new AA status in sports. The real idea of kids being on the road. And what no where to go, because your enrollment exceeds the regulations set by VHSL. See just simple things mean a lot.
    Fifth, take the steps to put the plan into action, after the citizens can give input. As i said none of us are masters in anything. But working together. We could make this something very special, when and if it does happen. Involve those who need to be involved, once a solid plan is in place.
    Including those on the state and federal level. They want this done as much as anyone. So help fund it. Find us the money so we can do this, without a huge debt to our county and one our kids will not be paying for, well into their futures.
    Sixth, be ready to receive critcism. It will come no matter how great the plan or ideas. Some will no doubt still be uncomfortable. But always refer them to what is a sound plan. One that has been exhaustively worked on and studied. And one that was worked on by all. Your administration, your board, and your citizens. Expect criticism. It will happen. But perhaps those who criticize, once this is done and it is shown it is working, and can work. That same criticism may turn to praise.

    As i said i don't have all the answers. But i am realistic in what needs to be done. As i said my one true problem with consolidation, student to pupil ratio, and that one on one ability, it is special and it works. But change is needed.
    So do that with and attitude to work together. Step back have a cooling off, fix what has been broken, and then come together as people wanting to work for the good for Wise County and the children.
    But and i have said it. There has to be a basis for all to work together, that has to be fixed first. And if the administration, board and citizens can put aside their differences. This could be something that for once. We can say we the people of Wise County did as a team. And maybe something that will set the standard others will look at.
    But until all three can work together. With and without some arguments, because their still gonna arise, but always remember, your working for the common good of Wise County Schools and most importantly the Children.
    When that happens you will maybe see something good. If that never happens. Well we will stand at the impass we have now, with plans and ideas from others, and this will sooner or later, go forth whether we like it or not. As a citizen i'd rather it be done as a joint venture. Then to be something forced. That was what happened in 2003. It almost ruined this county, and a town i love. Will we let that happen again?
    As i said i don't have all the answers, but with a lot of involvement from all angles. It has to be better than what we have now.

  4. #104
    Inactive Member imported_hhstigerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 12th, 2003
    Posts
    277
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh yeah

    Consolidation has been a pretty big issue in Tazewell County the last few years as well. Pocahontas will be closed soon and their kids moved to Graham. Eventually Taz Co will have two big schools. There have been rumors flying in Smyth County about a Northwood and Chilhowie consolidation. Looks like in a few years Russell/Washington Counties will be the only schools sytems around here not consolidated. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

  5. #105
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh yeah

    LPD I agree with what you are saying I really hate it when elected officals act like they are above the people that they repersent....Of course I also hate people that make snap judgement for or against Ideas without taking time to understand them.

  6. #106
    Inactive Member imported_six4three's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2004
    Posts
    571
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh yeah

    how can we arrive at a spirit of cooperation, because that's the only way things are going to get accomplished? if the leaders are hiding things, and a vocal group is threatening everyone at every meeting, how are we ever going to get things moving in the right direction.

  7. #107
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Oh yeah

    I think that could be handled. If some who are the top would step to the plate. Say ok. It's time we work for the good of Wise County and our Children.
    Now let's do that. And let's stop our bickering and let's work on a plan to make this happen. Many may of been wrong. Some may approached things wrong. Some may received things wrong.
    But what do we all want? What is best for our children and something we can afford and be proud of. Let us as citizens of Wise county administration, board who ever stand and say that. Let's put the past in the past and start a new beginning for the good of Wise County and our children.
    When members of all three groups can do that. You will begin to see progress. Until one makes a move. None of the three will. I guess now it's in their hands. I don't speak for all.
    Just my own views and opinion here.

    One other thing. It needs to be said. This is not going to happen over night. Nor next week probably not for a long time, as Counts said. Dickenson County passed theirs, yet they are still in progress and that has been right at 5 yrs i think. So it's not anything that is gonna happen quickly, and it should not be if it is to be done right.

  8. #108
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh yeah

    You are correct on two counts It is the SBs responsibility to get this thing started. If that vocal group continues to disrupt meetings them I think the SB is well within there rights to have those people removed from the meeting (I am not saying that the Avg Joe should not be allowed to voice his or her conserns but threats and pure venom should not be tolerated)

    Second if Consolidation is decided upon There will need to be a study to determin how it will be done (New schools vs renovated schools in every combination) for this to work the citizens from the affected areas need to share there input ( This does not mean saying I am again it and will ship my kids to wherever to avoid it)

    IMHO if there were to be a dission tomorrow to consolidate it would take a good two or three years to dot the I's and cross the T's

  9. #109
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh yeah

    Have been asked by LPDFTBL to voice my comments. Consolidation can work if that is what is going to transpire. As for the study, I could have done the same study for free and saved the County $40,000. I have had some building experience, taught a long time, have visited other school divisions, have been asked to compare schools, in terms of what existed in the School Plant. Enought of that. Any local Board receives criticism. I am a member of the Big Stone Gap Town Council and have received criticism both personally and as a voting member of the Council. I can handle most of the criticism. Sometimes emotions get out of control and we miss the main focus. The main focus should be what is best for the students of Wise County, then how best to achieve that goal. I have talked to many students who have gone on to very prestigious institutions of higher learning and they all stated that they were at a distinct disadvantage because they had not been exposed to many of the courses and offererings of some of the larger high schools in the country and in Virginia. Well, what are we going to do here? We can't ignore the facts. We can't completely ignore the wishes of the citizens either. When I was running for Town Council, there was a Forum and we were asked questions. By the way, Skip Skinner asked the questions. The questions were submitted by the Gap Corporation and from the audience. One question was, "How would you vote on a certain issue that was controversial?" Would you vote your convictions or would you vote the way the public wanted you to vote? The same folks who elected you. How would you vote? That was a difficult question to answer and I had to respond first. Well, I didn't know what to day. My first reaction was to vote the way the citizens I represent would want me to, but after some thought, I finally said, "I would have to vote my convictions, knowing that my decision was going against the wishes of the public. I pose that same question to all of you? Serving in the public eye, even on a small town such as Big Stone Gap, is not an easy task. Very thankless as I would imagine serving on the School Board would be. Now, I learned a long time ago, that if I could establish a good rapport with my students and oftentimes with their parents, that the students would perform better for me and there would also be less discipline problems. So how does this translate to the Consolidation Issue? Well, a good rapport and a good working relationship or at least a better one needs to be established between the citizens of Wise County, and specifically those folks who live in Applachia needs to be established. This is am emotional issue with several folks. Let's face it folks, it is most likely going to hapen. What can we do? Well, if it does happen down the pike, say in 2 years, we need to learn to accept it and work together for the sake of the students and for the advancement of Wise County. That is not going to happen if all the bickering and name calling continues. Sometimes it is in how you approach things. If I begin a meeting with a parent by telling them they their child is a person that is going to fail in life because of their parents, if I say that their child is an idiot and will never amount to anything, if I tell those parents that they might as well give up now, (you get my drift). No, I do not call names, I do not accuse, I say, "well, how can, "WE," work together to help your child? Name calling and accusing each other of telling lies will get nowhere and not solve the problem. It only makes it worse. Sometimes we must rise above what is around us and try to see why the other person or persons feels that way. You women are good at that. You always want to analyze everything. To see why we men behave a certain way. Sometimes it is because we don't know any other way to behave. So you see, all of us, folks from Appalachia, Big Stone, Coeburn, Pound, St. Paul, and Wise are going to work together. Now, can this be done? Sure it can, with different attitudes on both sides. In any relationship and that I believe is what we all have with each other, there are compromises. We each give a little. I do believe that in most cases one side may have to give a little more than the other, but we should all and that includes the Administration at the Central Office, The Wise County School Board, and the citizens of Wise County need to have what I refer to as, "An Attitude Adjustment." Try to look at the other side and work on making things better.

    Now,. the study also mentioned a, Reduction in Force Policy." I never did see the reason for having so many Asst. Superintendents." Was it just to raise their salary or what? Most likely. I don't see a need for the Superintendent to be driving a Ford Excursion. I don't see a need for a lot of things. So the Administration of Wise County needs to be streamlined a bit. There are jobs at the Central Office that really doesn't need to be there. Were they created just for the sake of giving someone a job? Perhaps, I don't really know, so I won't go any further on that. By the way, I am furnished a vehicle to drive daily also. It is called a Big Yellow School Bus, but it just not the same as driving a Ford Excursion. All things can be made better if we all work in improving things together. All the complaining really achieves nothing except to make folks mad. I personally know a few of the School Board Members and the ones I do know have my respect. I helped Mark Hutchinson when he did his Student Teaching alongside me. He was good to my kids when he was at Powell Valley. My kids did say that he was crazier than I was. They meant that in a good way though. He knew how to establish a rapport with folks he worked with and the students. Maybe all of us need to take a step backward and see how we can help and stop all the bickering and move on. I mean, Job, after losing all his possessions, all his children, his health and losing the support of his wife went on, and had more at the end than he did in the beginning. He didn't blame anyone else for his troubles, he finally accepted them and was stronger for having done so.

    I also know LPDFTBL and his family and they are fine folks. I have many good memories from teaching at Appy. Fine folks. When I began teaching there in 1969, they treated me better than the folks in Big Stone did.

    Don't criticize an old man too much for speaking his mind. I was asked to do this.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

  10. #110
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Oh yeah

    Thank you Mr. G for your comments. I felt with your many years in the system. And having a working knowledge of a lot that goes on, your advise and opinion should be ask for.
    As should any teachers or retired teachers, and anyone who has worked in the system. Past board members or past administration. To me that is the best way to see what needs to be done. And to get input from all angles.

    For those interested. Channel 97 has been running a recording of the meeting.
    So those who missed or do not understand exactly what all is going on. Well you can hear it there.
    Im not sure when it will be aired again. But it was on once already today. As i said it is just a audio recording, but many who were not able to attend, well it give you the chance to hear what was said.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •