Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: VDOT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    VDOT

    Folks, you may want to start writing a letter to your local delegate. With the number of people out this forum reaches, I didn't want to just say Kilgore.

    I spoke to a friend who works for VDOT and said that they are hearing at this time they will only be salting the main roads this winter, i.e. 23, 58, 72. No "secondary" roads is what they are being told at this time. It is apparently due to great fiscal restraints by our governor that they do not want to pay the overtime, gas, and salt to cover all of the roads they normally do.

    Seems to me it would be smart to use that "surplus" where it is needed. I hope that they are wrong, and that this will not be the case. Everyones safety does rely on the ability of our VDOT when the weather goes south.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  2. #2
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: VDOT

    All state employees are about to get a big fat raise. I guess motorists safety is sacrificed to put a few more pennies in the state employee's pockets.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

  3. #3
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: VDOT

    Well, what he is sayin is true, I just asked my dad, but he feels it will not hold water. But if it does we wont ever have school and someones gonna be having a law suit filed if the roads are deliberatley left unworked.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member imported_OleTob's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    681
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: VDOT

    It's all politics...I told you they are all crooks...Just don't vote for any of them..This should show you how much they care for your safety
    Take em one at a time and everything else will take care of itself.

    I belong to God Now.

  5. #5
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: VDOT

    Could I run then and win with one vote? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]"Chili on every dog!" [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member imported_OleTob's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    681
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: VDOT

    Shoot I'd vote for ya spuds...I almost ran for Mayor of Gate City once...lol
    Take em one at a time and everything else will take care of itself.

    I belong to God Now.

  7. #7
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: VDOT

    I don't agree if that is the plan. And it will cause a lot of safety problems. Since VDOT has covered the road before i cannot see them not being liable, should there be a bad accident on a road they are responsible for. But you never know and that is why the state pays so much out for those lawyers they have. Wouldn't hurt to make a call to your local rep. or congressman.

    Oh and as far as the raise not to cause a stink. But i work for the state. We are getting a 3% raise. The county is getting 6%. State employees have not gotten anything over 3.25% in years. It all goes back to the legislators, who basically see the local counties get the money. Most don't know it. But most county police officer's make more than most state employees, even those in D.O.C. Kind of unreal isn't it.
    I do engineering and env. work and myself i am thinking of going back to the private sector, one due to looking at retirement. Since going to work for the State i've actually now started to go backwards instead of forwards, so when that happens you have to CYOA.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: VDOT

    I dont know what kind of state jobs you are talking about but county police officers do not get paid ANYTHING, in Dickenson County that is the case anyway. Trust me, I know this for a fact. I think the starting salary for a county police officer is like $21,000 where as a state police officer is $32,000. The only other state job that I know about is a probation officer, they make starting out around $38,000.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

  9. #9
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: VDOT

    Well i talked with a C/O the other day. At a major institution like WRSP or ROSP. The starting pay is only $24,000 dollars a year. And that is constantly in a high profile dangerous job, level 5-6 prisons. Most C/O's coming into D.O.C. have a burnout rate of 5 yrs.
    The only thing the state really offers is benefits. Other than that. You don't make no real money and the way it is set up. The pay scales and selections is a joke. The state can start you anywhere they want to within the range of the job scope. Which could be the difference in $10,000 dollars more or less a year.
    No overtime is paid unless pre-approved. And basically holidays, well every one is taking, and no OT there either only comp. time.
    I don't know what Dickenson Co. pays, but i know WC most officers are taken good care of. In fact most towns locally lose their officers to the county. So that should tell you something.
    And the state police has an association, which means they have a voice in Richmond.
    State or town or county officials have no voice no where, well counties do in a way with local reps.
    State employees cannot even strike, nor can town or county employees.
    The state police really can't but they have a voice in Richmond that makes sure they are heard. In a way they have their on advocacy group. Try doing that anywhere else in the state you will be fired. And that is a fact. I think i read it on here once. VA is an at will state. Meaning you can be fired without even knowing why. Most do try to give a reason now, because of the number of lawsuits. But any reason will work. 2 mins late for work 3 times in a row. Your fired. And the state in most departments is the same. It's not what every one thinks. I know i've had people tell me it must be nice. No not hardly. And im one of these type of people who is usual at work 15 mins. early and i am usally there like last night till i can leave, not when i want to but when i can. And every thing is done to maybe get 30 dollars more on the month? No state jobs well some arent' what folks think.
    The state is more about the benefits not the salaries. Unless your DMLR or DMME or something like that. And their even beginning to complain now, because they no longer get their evaluation raises due to the governor's never funding it. Makes for some interesting chat. Your get a great elevation, but we can't give you a step raise, it was never funded. Like i said CYOA, no matter where you work.

    And as far as the salt issue. I think if the roads need it do it. But a little common sense plays into it. Why salt a road that is clear? Just to do it? Yes that is a waste. Sometimes some common sense does have to play into the picture.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: VDOT

    Its very hard to predict the weather, I think sometimes and it happens more often than not, the forecasters predict a massive storm and VDOT tries to get a step ahead and salt before the storm, and we end up getting nothing. You cant fault them for wanting to be prepared and noone can accurately predict the weather %100 of the time.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •