Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 117

Thread: MLK

  1. #31
    Inactive Member imported_MoonlightGraham's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2004
    Posts
    2,142
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    I am against slavery 100%, but I am also against affirmative action 100%. It was created to end segregation in schools and colleges, now it is there to keep segregation alive.

    Any form of slavery is wrong, whehter it be the Irish getting inslaved or the Jews being inslaved by the Egyptians.
    [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i42/stinmeister/untitled-2.jpg[/img]

  2. #32
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    And when you try to apply for a job, as a professional, with a SWVA accent and you're competing with those without an accent, you're gonna be tossed in the first round unless your qualifications blow the others out of the water by a mile.

    I have been there- done that. It took almost 2 years of working as a cashier at Wal-Mart (with a B.S. in Economics) before I got a real job, during which time I converted my accent.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  3. #33
    Inactive Member Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    3,146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    Everyone always brings up blacks as being mistreated and being slaves. I know they had rough lives and I wish they didnt have to go through what they did. But how about the race of people no one ever talks about? The ones that were drove off of their lands. The ones that were forced on reservations. The ones that were slaughtered men, women, and children. The Native Americans!

  4. #34
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    While in Richmond with the Department Of Corrections, I remember the Deputy Of Directors talking about how many times that applicants from the Western Region were passed over because of their accents. People hear our mountain slang, and the image of the woman in the moomu with the Marlboro in her mouth handing her grandbaby to her 14 year old daughter (while talking to the news reporter) comes to the front of their mind.
    I am very proud to be from SWVA. I love our people and their culture, traditions, and history, but when in Rome..... and when you are away from this area living/working, you have to adapt if you want to eat. Sad but true.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  5. #35
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Everyone always brings up blacks as being mistreated and being slaves. I know they had rough lives and I wish they didnt have to go through what they did. But how about the race of people no one ever talks about? The ones that were drove off of their lands. The ones that were forced on reservations. The ones that were slaughtered men, women, and children. The Native Americans!



    [/ QUOTE ]

    They got treated much worse than the African Americans but it seems we have just forgotten them. We should have a Native American holiday, I dont really know what we would call it, possiably on Pocahontas's birthday or something?
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

  6. #36
    Inactive Member Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    3,146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    Thanksgiving has some to do with the Native Americans.

  7. #37
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    Gotta agree with that.
    My grandmother is a full blood Cherokee, who was taken at birth from her mother, not allowed to live her Native heritage, given a white name and passed from family to family.

    She's 82 years old now, and the only reason we know that is because her birth certificate was finally located after years of searching. Before that she didn't even know her real name or birthday. All because the whites thought she'd be better off "white."
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  8. #38
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    Let's call it "Sorry for what we did to you day". On that day, we let the Native Americans rape our women, give us smallpox blankets, and steal our land.
    Many have either forgotten, don't believe, or were never taught the atrocities committed on the Native Americans.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  9. #39
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    If I'm not mistaken, the State of VA won't recognize many Native tribes because doing so will make them tax exempt in many aspects, costing the state money.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  10. #40
    Inactive Member imported_VTgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2002
    Posts
    1,245
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    I realize it's crappy. But in no way are you breaking the cycle when you "When in Rome..." with this sort of thing, in my opinion. I know you are probably thinking along the lines, "Oh, I'll disquise it until they see I'm truly qualified, then I'll let myself shine through..." - but is that how it should be. When does it end? How does it end?

    I just think it's BS. Once I gotta over it at Tech, I realized that I wasn't any less intelligent than the average Joe or Jill from Jersey, PA, or Nova. And they began to realize the same. It's their ignorance. Not mine. People with THAT thought process are the one that need to change their minds about some things.

    But this is just another reason I want to stay in this area. I know a lot of people want to "Get the heck outta dodge" after they get their education or whatever.... But tt means a lot to me to come back here, be an educated adult, and give back to the community.

    I'm a non-confrontational type of person, but if I had someone tell me that I was qualified for a job in every way except my dialect, I would have to "enlighten" them on a few things. My dad is a very good business man. He told me that when he has to travel for work and meets people that automatically think he's stupid because of the way he talks, he uses that to his advantage. Think he's stupid, waits for the right time, and the right move. I plan on doing the same.
    Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
    George Orwell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •