last i heard, wise county was on a 90 min. delay tomorrow
http://wcyb.com/school/default.asp
and
http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tr.../closings.html
I figure most schools will be even if it doesn't snow with the cold temps expected.
By the way, good advice there Starbuck, that's something some people don't think about in weather like this.
Wind chill Advisories out now....
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN
214 PM EST THU DEC 7 2006
...BRISK NORTHWEST WINDS WILL LOWER WIND CHILL READINGS TO BELOW
ZERO TONIGHT...
.STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS WILL USHER IN A COLD AIRMASS OVERNIGHT.
TEMPERATURES WILL BE IN THE TEENS AREAWIDE WITH SINGLE DIGIT READINGS
ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS. THESE TEMPERATURES COMBINED WITH THE
STRONG WINDS WILL RESULT IN WIND CHILL VALUES RANGING FROM ZERO TO
10 BELOW ZERO ACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA.
TNZ018-041-043-045-047-072-074-VAZ001-002-005-006-008-080315-
/O.NEW.KMRX.WC.Y.0001.061208T0500Z-061208T1500Z/
JOHNSON-COCKE SMOKY MOUNTAINS-SOUTHEAST GREENE-UNICOI-
SOUTHEAST CARTER-BLOUNT SMOKY MOUNTAINS-SEVIER SMOKY MOUNTAINS-
LEE-WISE-SCOTT-RUSSELL-WASHINGTON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MOUNTAIN CITY...COSBY...CEDAR CREEK...
ERWIN...ROAN MOUNTAIN...CADES COVE...GATLINBURG...JONESVILLE...
WISE...GATE CITY...LEBANON...ABINGDON
214 PM EST THU DEC 7 2006
...WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 10 AM
EST FRIDAY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MORRISTOWN HAS ISSUED A WIND
CHILL ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO
10 AM EST FRIDAY.
WIND CHILL READINGS RANGING FROM ZERO TO 10 BELOW ZERO.
A WIND CHILL ADVISORY MEANS THAT COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS WILL
COMBINE TO GENERATE VERY LOW WIND CHILLS. THESE CONDITIONS CAN
RESULT IN FROST BITE AND LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA OR EVEN DEATH IF
PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN. THOSE VENTURING OUTDOORS
last i heard, wise county was on a 90 min. delay tomorrow
road in front of my house here in Norton is turning white
[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]
Just talked to someone in Lee County, they said people are a few wrecks there. Roads are real icy, and some of the bridges are extremely bad.
Drive careful out there.
Here in Johnson City I actually seen a little dusting of snow on the ground in a few places, that must be a frist lol.
Have about 1/2" of fine white powder in south Coeburn.
And I'm not talking about blow.
[IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]
[ QUOTE ]
Have about 1/2" of fine white powder in south Coeburn.
And I'm not talking about blow.
[/ QUOTE ]
Here where I live (right below Riverview) it has slowed down a bit but I'd say there's about 1 inch on my porch, and around 1/2-1 inch in my yard.
I have a feeling it'll catch back up here in a bit, since it always seems to start and then stop every now and then.
Officially retired
I couldn't make the one mile drive to get to walmart this evening at about 5:00. The roads were way too slick and the majority of the traffic didn't know how to drive in it. I know how to drive in inclement weather - and I knew to turn it around and go home.
Apparently VDOT didn't anticipate any of this or they'd have put down some salt or ash beforehand.
http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/eoc-main.asp
You'll shoot your eye out.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]
I passed a couple of VDOT trucks on the way in to work laying some down on the four-lanes. Of course with the budget cuts, they now are not supposed to work on "secondary roads". It will only get worse in the coming years when all of it will be contracted out I am afraid.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
That crossed my mind - I just didn't want to accept that it's true. lol
You'll shoot your eye out.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]
23 from Pound to Wise was backed up forever. 2 different wrecks. Guessing we have a lot of black ice.
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.
Bookmarks