I think that everything that everyone has said about SOL's is spot-on perfect. There are kids who become physically ill worrying about passing the test. Educators, from the top all the way down, are threatened to not only have passing percentages, but show a yearly progress of 3% (I believe) in a variety of areas with a variety of students. I gave a test on the circulatory system and was asked, "Is this going to be multiple choice?" My son can't make change and may not be able to tell time on a clock with hands. Important stuff does get left out, because they only test certain things. If kids don't get something and the teacher has to move on, then that's what happens. I personally have a running joke with my kids. "Dad, why did you become a P.E. teacher?" I tell them, "Buddy, I wasn't smart enough to teach an SOL class." My kindergartner actually told somebody I said that. I made my point. Unfortunately, we're stuck with them.