Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: supervisors

  1. #11
    HB Forum Owner SBG's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: supervisors

    Quote Originally Posted by burton2019 View Post
    Seriously? It's a **** high school. Nothing more.
    That's easy for us as adults to say. I can agree with you but that's the adult in me. How the kids feel about it should also be taken into account. Are they "just kids" and don't matter? I know it would have mattered to me and almost everybody around me when I was that age. So I'd say it would with teenagers today. Just because it's an old school doesn't mean it can't be given a new name. And this goes for ALL the schools. Whether it was PV being absorbed into Appy or Pound into Wise or Coeburn into St. Paul. Consolidation needs to happen but all of the students should be treated equally. I'll say this. If one or more of the students from the smaller schools got on here and said it didn't matter, and it could be confirmed that it was a student, then I'd say I was wrong. And I wouldn't be surprised if I am. It happens a lot. LoL :lol:
    [LEFT][IMG]http://www.dsslexius.net/forums/images/smilies/goneinsanegif.gif[/IMG][/LEFT]

  2. #12
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: supervisors

    I appreciate what you're saying but the issue is, you're never gonna make everybody happy, kids, adults, etc.

    At this point of time, the kids would probably be happier to have it done and be able to move on. You can start bragging about being the first class of a new school, the last class of an old school, last class that attended all grades in the old school or all grades in a new one.

    One thing that drives me crazy. I know, everybody wants their community school but we also know that people don't like change. We all tend to like what we're comfortable with. Who likes learning a new system at work, or anything along those lines? The issue of new buildings is only part of the problem, since anybody who has ever done any work on an old building will find that costs tend to be more than you expect, and things always seem to have hidden damage. Someone said those old buildings are bomb shelters, and I guess they are, but they also used to say you could hide under your school desk so....take it with a grain of salt

    I know they love to talk about SOLs and I think they suck but they are a minimum standard. Bragging that your kids can achieve the minimum is like bragging that you are having another kid and get more food stamps. Its nice but come on, is it really that great to brag about? The environment should be something that kids enjoy, and are comfortable in, not prison.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  3. #13
    HB Forum Owner SBG's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: supervisors

    Quote Originally Posted by R0cketer View Post
    you're never gonna make everybody happy, kids, adults, etc.
    You got me there. :2thumbsup:
    [LEFT][IMG]http://www.dsslexius.net/forums/images/smilies/goneinsanegif.gif[/IMG][/LEFT]

  4. #14
    Inactive Member VHSLhelper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2005
    Posts
    861
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: supervisors

    Quote Originally Posted by Counts View Post
    But Lee built a new school If Lee had closed down Keokee and shiped them to Pennington High I about bet money that the same would have happened there
    Graham didn't change their name when they absorbed Pocahontas.

    Magna Vista & Bassett didn't change their names when they absorbed Laurel Park & Fieldale-Collinsville.

    Whitewood DID change their name when they absorbed Garden, but Garden also changed their name when they absorbed Whitewood (didn't make a lot of sense for Whitewood kids to be at Garden Elem. while Garden teens were at Whitewood High).

    Northwood & River View & Mt. View & East Ridge & Pike Central & Harlan Co. & Letcher Central all opened with new buildings

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 1999
    Posts
    1,019
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: supervisors

    Quote Originally Posted by VHSLhelper View Post
    Graham didn't change their name when they absorbed Pocahontas.

    Magna Vista & Bassett didn't change their names when they absorbed Laurel Park & Fieldale-Collinsville.

    Whitewood DID change their name when they absorbed Garden, but Garden also changed their name when they absorbed Whitewood (didn't make a lot of sense for Whitewood kids to be at Garden Elem. while Garden teens were at Whitewood High).

    Northwood & River View & Mt. View & East Ridge & Pike Central & Harlan Co. & Letcher Central all opened with new buildings
    Exactly!!!:thankU:

  6. #16
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: supervisors

    Quote Originally Posted by SBG View Post
    Changing the names would only be fair. Why should students of the smaller schools be forced to "lose their identity" when those of the larger schools aren't? That's a major part of consolidation. It's no longer Pennington Gap, Jonesville, Keokee, etc. It's Lee High School. If they don't change the names then they deserve one hell of a firestorm.
    Going back to Lee County, they didn't change Pennington's name when they closed St. Charles and moved those kids there.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  7. #17
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: supervisors

    Well, I hate to say this, but it looks like 3 of our schools in Wise county will be suffering some growing pains next year. I think the school board should follow through with their promise of closing the 3 smaller schools down and absorbing them into the three larger schools.

    On a related topic, state attorney general Ken Cuccinelli has ruled the the meeting where Mr. Greear was appointed was totally legal

  8. #18
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: supervisors

    So tired of all the ruckus and politicial games being played. One thing I have learned is that the more choices you give folks, the more confused they get at times. Think back to when you were a child or when you were raising your children. Were you given all sorts of options or did you give your child all the options you could. No, our parents and we as parents made decisions based on experiences for the good of the child. Perhaps that is what must be done here. Just make a decision based on finances, enrollment, more courses being made available, etc. Just do it!!!!!
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •