Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sb meeting tonight

Hopefully, Appalachia has enough athletes to improve our athletic program. C-Dawg, I've got some extra PV stuff if you want it, I'll even drop it by.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I guess JIB would be getting a solid player in Barker if they don't move somewhere else. I noticed the article on him in the paper Friday said he wouldn't play for PV. Time shall only tell what will really happen in all seriousness.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    I guess JIB would be getting a solid player in Barker if they don't move somewhere else. I noticed the article on him in the paper Friday said he wouldn't play for PV. Time shall only tell what will really happen in all seriousness.
    IF that happens he shouldn't be allowed to play unless his family moves. If they start letting kids play anywhere they want to, this mess will only get worse. I feel the same way if some kid from BSG loses his spot to a kid from Appy and he wants to transfer schools.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I may be mistaken but I believe the VHSL does allow kids to transfer where they desire without the normal year of clearance when a school closes. Now that may be limited to within the county of the closing though. I am not sure there.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In his case, I think it is more the parents saying they won't let him play at P.V. And yes, there is an allowance for him to go to another school if the current school he is attending is closed. I really don't think that Barker would fit into Burton's current scheme of offense, but will work really well with P.V.'s current plans. I have seen all three teams play and I really do believe Barker would help P.V., and himself, tremendously if he went to P.V. instead of Burton.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I honestly only see 2, maybe 3 players from Appy who would benefit P.V. in football. In other sports, it may be a different story all together, sports such as softball, and basketball for instance.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Any how, back on topic. It isn't like the SB didn't warn the BOS of this scenario months ago. In this case, nobody wins, especially NOT the students. And of course, maybe St. Paul.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    I may be mistaken but I believe the VHSL does allow kids to transfer where they desire without the normal year of clearance when a school closes. Now that may be limited to within the county of the closing though. I am not sure there.
    From the VHSL Handbook:

(9) In the case of a school reorganization or consolidation which results in the discontinuance of one or more high schools in which students had been or would be eligible under this rule, these students become eligible in the school designated by the school board to receive pupils from the discontinued school at the time set for the reorganization or consolidation and only in the high school so designated.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So, with that being the case, then he would not be able to play for burton, unless his family actually move to Norton. I think this rule has been by-passed by other athletes going to Norton by them actually moving into Norton: case in point, Malcolm Pinkston.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Sportsman. I tried looking at the Handbook real quick but didn't spend too much time on it. That will be brought up alot I'm sure in the next few months if this plan is put into place.