Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: School board meeting 4/11/11

Quote Originally Posted by Counts View Post
    Well we do agree then that Seniority should play a role in who is kept and who is sent packing That being said it should not be the ONLY metric used.

I was under the impression that currently Seniority WAS the only thing the school system currently looked at and the closed meeting was to make changes to that formula to allow for our criteria to be used. If that is true that I think we both think that the changes need to be made
    From what Perry said, it IS the only criteria they had to use to pick these teachers, so he suggested not putting as much of an emphasis on it and definitely not the only thing they look at - from the way he talked, it's like they only looked at the years, I sure hope I was misunderstanding it.

That could have been part of what they were going to talk about during the closed session, but from what I read, it was to pick the staff from the list they were given - though they weren't voting on it that night. But Betty, Mark H. and Rocky were ****ed about Graham being allowed in the closed meeting - even though he may end up deciding the whole thing, it was said from the beginning he would be allowed to do so and frequently non-board members are allowed in like Mr. Vicars and others. So they threw a fit, Powers of course had to follow(talk about independent thinker) and they got in their cars and left. Pathetic. Betty sure has got brave with Powers to her right now, she acted like even more immaturely than normal.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    From what Perry said, it IS the only criteria they had to use to pick these teachers, so he suggested not putting as much of an emphasis on it and definitely not the only thing they look at - from the way he talked, it's like they only looked at the years, I sure hope I was misunderstanding it.

That could have been part of what they were going to talk about during the closed session, but from what I read, it was to pick the staff from the list they were given - though they weren't voting on it that night. But Betty, Mark H. and Rocky were ****ed about Graham being allowed in the closed meeting - even though he may end up deciding the whole thing, it was said from the beginning he would be allowed to do so and frequently non-board members are allowed in like Mr. Vicars and others. So they threw a fit, Powers of course had to follow(talk about independent thinker) and they got in their cars and left. Pathetic. Betty sure has got brave with Powers to her right now, she acted like even more immaturely than normal.
    The Anti side is just draging its feet tring to delay enough to keep consoladation from happening before next year

Inactive Member collegetrumpet2010's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think it's comical how all the antis hail Betty Cornett and Fred Luntsford as their heroes. Wasn't Betty for consolidation before?

I'm sure their reasons for being anti are not to serve the antis.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So, here's my summary of the Coalfield's coverage of Thursday's BoS meeting...

Rivers is giving up on his new higher-occupancy rule idea, and has instead decided to try and get the fire marshall to review the 3 buildings that will be "crammed". Other BoS members said the FM already inspects the bldgs every year. But Rivers wants to know what will be needed to get the bkdgs "up to snuf". The co. attorney will research the idea.

Now, I know NOTHING about the "fire laws", but I really don't see much that would HAVE to be done just because you're adding 200 more students... the bldgs held that many in the past. So Rivers' idea that this could prevent the cramming from happening is more than likely wrong, since no major work will be done this Summer. But on the other hand, both the BoS and the SB need to know EXACTLY what needs to be done/added if the bldgs are to be renovated down the road, so they can get an idea of the price, so they'll have something to compare the cost of new bldgs to. And maybe this could bring the 2 boards closer together, if the SB goes ahead and makes the request themselves.

Kilgore wanted to discuss setting a $ amount for the schools bldg plan. Meador was against it, and it died.

As to the "no major work will be done this Summer" thing... another story said that the budget has no $$$ for this. I guess that when the budget was being put together last year, plans were to consolidate, and it looked like it might happen, so why budget $$$ for improvements, right?

It also says the school system thinks they'll lose around 320 students, which will lead to a $1.59 Mil. loss of state funding (about $5,000 per kid). They also expect 30 employees to retire in 2012. (Guessing - $40,000 each = $1.2 Mil.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am so tired of this, I could just **** all over myself.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Would it make you feel any better if I were to say other places are having problems, too?

D'son's SB is about to go to court to take an elderly couple's land.

Montgomery Co's SB ticked off the BoS by apparently spending requested extra money for something else. The BoS is raising taxes this year, with the extra money going to the SB, but NOT for construction (they're looking at $125 Mil to replace B'burg & Auburn Highs)

http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/283179

What's funny is the last line of the story. They went TWO decades, 1974-94, then 7 years, from 2003-10. They built 5 new schools from 1994-2003, opened a new elem. last Fall and another will open this Fall. In addition to the $125 Mil. they need now, they already owe $163 Mil due to school work in the past 15 years. In '95, their debt was only $20 Mil.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/257761

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I understand what you are saying Helper, but this consolidation issue has actually been going on in Wise County since at leat 1987. That makes 24 years. And it has all been because of the residents' unwillingness to change.

Everyone, well, most everyone is just tired of all the bullHHHT that is going on. You know the old saying, "I feel like a mushroom, I am kept constantly in the dark and fed nothing but BullShht"? That is how we are feeling. Our BOS can't even agree on a re-districting plan, something that is badly needed.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I hear ya.
    ----------
    Been thinking more about the money going elsewhere thing... that BoS member is a ****. The SB had a little unforeseen thing pop up last Winter that they HAD to spend extra money on, which screwed up the whole acct. system ... when they closed BHS due to the gym collapse, that had to reopen the old C'burg MS, somewhat "stock" it, paint it, upgrade the kitchen, pave (or seal) the parking lot, bring in mobile units, and use more gas because they had to haul the kids from Bb to Cb.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

At least that SB and BOS are able to MAKE a decision. Such is not the case with ours.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123