Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Severe Weather (4/26-4/27)

Glade Spring was hit really hard by one. Greene, Johnson, and Sullivan Counties in TN also hit pretty hard by the storms. Some fatalities were unfortunately confirmed. These storms were something else to watch on radar. Typically a rain shield out ahead of storms combined with darkness will inhibit strength of storms, but this system was so strong dynamically that it didn't matter. So many multiple large supercells and some storm structures that you'll see across the plains and the deep south, and rarely for here.

Worst tornado outbreak ever in the nation. Even before today this month had already broke the record for the most tornadoes in April.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Morristown NWS confirms a half-mile wide EF4 tornado hitting Bradley, Hamilton, and Polk Counties in southeastern TN. 13 possible fatalities (preliminary reports) with it. 35 mile long path length.
    National Weather Service Text Product Display

Blacksburg NWS confirmed an EF2 tornado hitting over in Smyth County near Chilhowie.
    April 27th-28th Outbreak

These are some of the first, so more to come as they continue to asess damage.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beamer_ball View Post
    Glade Spring was hit really hard by one. Greene, Johnson, and Sullivan Counties in TN also hit pretty hard by the storms. Some fatalities were unfortunately confirmed. These storms were something else to watch on radar. Typically a rain shield out ahead of storms combined with darkness will inhibit strength of storms, but this system was so strong dynamically that it didn't matter. So many multiple large supercells and some storm structures that you'll see across the plains and the deep south, and rarely for here.

Worst tornado outbreak ever in the nation. Even before today this month had already broke the record for the most tornadoes in April.
    On the way to and from Blacksburg,I got a good look at Glade Spring,and it was a very sobering experience. It really looked like it had been bombed. My heart goes out to that community,and my thoughts and prayers are with all
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Morristown NWS confirms 6 more tornadoes.

The tornado in Glade Spring was rated an EF3 with winds of 140 mph, path length of 18 miles from just to the south of Abingdon and up to Glade Springs, 3/4 mile wide, with 3 fatalities and 50 injuries reported. Other tornadoes confirmed: another one near Abingdon a couple of hours earlier than the other...this one an EF0, an EF2 in Greene County (TN) in Camp Creek...7 fatalties, 33 injuries reported, EF2 in Hamilton County (TN) near Lookout Mountain, EF3 in Bledsoe County (TN) (4 fatalities), and an EF1 in ****e County (TN).

Still more assessments to be done.

Summary of tornadoes (so far)
    Summary of the 27 April 2011 tornado outbreak across east Tennessee and southwest Virginia

Public info statements: (go through the previous versions to view statements for each)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

NASCAR Nationwide series driver Eric McClure and his family feel fortunate after a tornado brought ?probably the scariest few seconds of our lives.?
    The storm hit Wednesday night in Abdingdon, moments after the McClures returned from church. The tornado did extensive damage to the three-story home in the southwest Virginia community.
    ?It was terrifying,? he said Thursday, speaking by phone from the battered house.
    McClure, his wife and three daughters?the oldest is 4?spent about four hours huddled under a basement staircase. They finally emerged at about 2 a.m. to head for his father?s house down the street. He said he heard windows shattering and discovered in daylight that three of the four floors had flooded. At least four people died in surrounding Washington County, authorities said.

imp?migAgencyId221&ampmigSourceadsrv2&ampmigTrackDataExt30239946211787323929254041397366&ampmigRandom5768465&ampmigTrackFmtExtclientioadcrtv

?Our family?s healthy. We all got out of it without any injuries and so did our immediate family, but we?re really heartbroken for the people that didn?t,? he said. ?It?s just a house. They make one of those every day. We can always get another house or build one or move or rent. There?s so many options there, but you can?t replace kids.?
    He said the tornado felt ?like a freight train went through the house.?
    ?I?ll be honest with you,? he added. ?It was probably the scariest few seconds of our lives.?
    The McClures heard enough on the radio returning from church to know they needed to take precautions. They placed an inflatable mattress on the basement floor. McClure also considered also moving the family cars, but thought better of it. He was quickly grateful.
    ?We got downstairs and within minutes, it had hit and gone through the house,? he said, adding the tornado lasted only 10 to 12 seconds. ?It was crazy, I mean, it was really, really intense, and I think the worst part of waiting is you can?t see what?s coming.?
    The family remained in the basement under the floor. Flooding started about four hours later.
    ?It?s kind of over before you know it,? he said. ?It?s almost like a car wreck in a race.?
    As he surveyed the damage, McClure said it was worse than he expected.
    ?The structure of the house for the most part is OK on the outside. We lost two windows, had some trees come through the house or into the house, lost a bit of our roof,? he said.
    The inside of the house will likely have to be gutted.
    ?When it happens, it?s like, whoa!,? he said. ?I can?t imagine the people that got it worse than we did. I guess I can, but I can?t even begin to process it. It breaks my heart.?
    McClure is doing what he can at the house. Then he and his family are to head to Richmond, where he plans to race in the Nationwide Series event Friday night.
    ?Family comes first, but they?re encouraging me to go,? he said.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

4 more tornadoes confirmed across eastern TN. An EF1 in Bradley County near Cleveland, an EF1 in East Ridge in Hamilton County (3rd tornado for Hamilton), an EF0 in Blount County, and an EF0 near Greenback in Loudon County.

Area assessed in the Sullivan Gardens area of Kingsport was determined to be from a downburst and large hail.

Public info Statements: (each one released it in separate versions on back)

EF1 tornado confirmed also in southern WV near Richwood in Nicholas County.
    http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview....rsion=0&max=61

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My friends suffered from it. I got to hear the story of his first hand experience. The house shook like it was full of sub-woofers, the complete silent and calm moments, the siren sounding like Silent Hill, and the train whistle. He was a complete wreck and is still shook up over this event.

Here is a video by another Glade Spring and fellow photo student. It's sad, very sad.

YouTube - The Devastation in Glade Spring, Virginia

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The NWS has some survey photos up (below the plot map) including the EF3 in Glade Spring, the EF4 in Bradley County, and the EF3 in Blount County (that went through the Smokies)
    April 27 2011 Tornado Outbreak Map

Looking through the statements and other releases from the Morristown, Blacksburg, and Charleston offices there's been around 30 tornadoes confirmed so far from southeastern TN and up into southern WV...also includes the tornadoes out in Halifax and Rockridge Counties in VA.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As of Wednesday, Morristown had confirmed up to 33 tornadoes across the region...one more confirmed today I think, as they are still assessing damage. From southeastern TN up to southern WV that's close to 40 tornadoes confirmed, not including others that some seen but didn't report or didn't have enough damage to really confirm anything.

Summary of outbreak from the NWS (as of Wednesday)
    Summary of the 27 April 2011 tornado outbreak across east Tennessee and southwest Virginia

This page has some of the mesoscale circulations that were noted on radar during the event.
    MRX Radar Identified Mesoscale Circulations

One of those stronger rotations going through Wise from the VA/KY line near Indian Mountain in and up to Clinchfield. Black line, so nothing confirmed as of yet, just radar indicated. Anyone see anything in that area?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123