Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drug Problem in our area?

Drug Problem in our area?

Most think this is just an isolated incident. I dont' think so.
    And i don't want any of the GC posters to take the post wrong. It just happened to be at GC Middle School.
    One thing i will applaud GC Middle School for is taking action once it was seen. Some of these kids could of died. That is the cold reality.
    I seen one article written about locking up your medications? When you have to do that, i think it's past time you talked with your children.
    Being around and hearing kids talk.
    I think all schools are facing the problem. Most kids think it's cool to be able to get away with it. While most parents are in denial with the not my child theme.
    What has become disturbing. Many parents are not addressing the issue. Had one parent tell me. It was just pot?

All 14 juveniles allegedly involved in a Xanax distribution case at Gate City Middle School have had criminal charges placed against them.

Gate City Police Chief Jason Cox said Monday that officers with the Southwest Virginia Drug Task Force had formally lodged the 41 charges against the students, who range in age from 12 to 15.

All of the students were charged with possession of a Schedule IV drug, classified as misdemeanor, said Cox.

They have also been charged with one count each of felony distribution of the drug.

A 15-year-old juvenile who is accused of taking 120 Xanax pills from a family member's possession and distributing them among 13 acquaintances on school property Wednesday is charged with the same possession and distribution charges, along with one count of larceny for taking the pills and one count of distribution of a Schedule IV drug within 1,000 feet of school grounds, which is a felony in the state of Virginia.

Emergency personnel were dispatched to the school twice last week after four students reportedly overdosed on the sedative.

Two juveniles were taken to the hospital last Monday in a separate case from Wednesday's incident, in which two other students were hospitalized.

Cox said some of the students told investigators that they crushed the pills and then snorted them. The police chief, who is also a certified emergency medical technician, said snorting the pills gives the person taking the drug "a quicker high" than ingesting them.

"Our investigation into this case will continue to be ongoing. We intend to follow it out,'' Cox said Monday.

Anyone with information regarding this case can contact the Gate City Police Department at (276)386-6363 or Scott County Central Dispatch at (276)386-9111.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Drug Problem in our area?

Problem is drugs are abused all over this area. I am glad action was taken on this at GC and hopefully it wont happen again.

Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Drugs are everywhere I am glad that GC is taking the bull by the horns on this issue I would like to see some type of drug testing at all schools (currently the law only allows for testing of extra curricular activities) but in my opinion the only way to stop it is to get the people using help and the only way to do that is a find out who they are and without testing that is hard to do.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This will continue to happen, and it will be worse than Xanax, until they do mandatory drug testing on every student.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The day mandatory drug testing occurs for high school students is the day our country hits rock bottom.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Inactive Member imported_Sportsman's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You'll feel different one of these days when you mature, and have children.

Inactive Member imported_MoonlightGraham's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the only problem with drug testing every student is a suffient drug test cost over 200 bucks per person. now that is not counting the standard deviation for error, plus if someone fails a drug test you if I am not mistaken you have to give them another one.

I know in Eastern Ky they were makin a really big deal about it, but I think it all just comes down to both the government and parents not properly educating their children bout drugs. The government trys all these scare tactics, and when a teenager does try a drug and 90% of what they have heard all of their lives is false it makes them wander. Alot of parents are also afraid to talk to their kids bout drugs, because they may have experimented back in their day.

I read in Health class that the U.S. government spends 4x as much money each year on the war on marijuana as they do on AIDS research.
    [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i42/stinmeister/untitled-2.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

and why does a drug test cost 200 dollars, because we are a capitalistic and greedy society that cares more about profit than people. Its a good idea in theory, its just not economically feasible evidently.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I doubt it, to me that falls under the same deal as the government legally watching what I do online. I'm not much for people invading my privacy, I'll educate my children about the dangers of drugs and tell them not to do it. Sometimes I think you people want a utopian society, I'm sorry it's not going to happen.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Inactive Member imported_MoonlightGraham's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I couldnt agree with you more. For instance look how long Magic Johnson has had HIV? 10-15 years now, 99% of people who get HIV contract the Aids virus within the next few years and are dead. If you saw Magic Johnson in person no way could you tell he was sick.

From what I understand about the way they do drug test are they take your sample which has say 20 some spaces running vertically on a chart, and then compare it to a "clean" sample which has the same 20 spaces but the dots all aline vertically. If they see a dot that is out of place then they can assume you are on something. They then have to test you for that drug. This type of testing cost around 200 bucks, I am not sure how much the individual drug test cost, but still yet, it takes a solid month to get the lab results back. If you smoke marijuana one time it will take 5 days to leave your system, if you smoke it every day and then quit it will take approx 30 days to leave your system, less than that if you exercise any at all. Cocaine it takes 48 hours. Perscription pills if I am not mistaken most take less than a day or so. I am not sure about steriods, maybe some of our gate city folks can help us out with that one.
    [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i42/stinmeister/untitled-2.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast