Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My thoughts on the game(s)

I really feel bad for the CW players and supporters, not all but a lot of the supporters. Guys like Ironlung, Counts, Rocketeter, Dennis, Greencrest and others who support the Wave win or lose. You guys had the best team imo, just couldn't get it done. I guess what frustrates me more than anything is the fact that in my mind I know we (LPD) don't have a shot in the next 4-5 years.

As for the overall game the game was all but over as CW was driving to go ahead two scores, the int killed CW. I really didn't understand a lot of the decisions the coaching staff made today. Roll out passes against that bunch wasn't the answer imo, CW had success when running right at them and when they threw slants. CW had trouble stopping the QB around end but seemed to get that figured out later in the game, overall I don't think CW's defense played that bad. Very disappointing loss, if your a member of that team in any fashion you'll be thinking about this game for years imo.

Gretna is just nasty, really it's almost unfair watching them play. There backup quarterback is the best single A quarterback I've seen since Brad Robbins, they have a sophomore second string tailback that is unbelievably good, Dickerson is the kids name. Poor Floyd just really didn't have a chance, Harris can only do so much. When they are quicker and stronger what really do you do? Unless Essex is bringing a lot of kids back (which I think they are) it's pretty much a three peat for Gretna. BTW, since football season is over can we just jump to baseball?
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: My thoughts on the game(s)

What did you think of JM rolling up 50 on Brookeville, and Amherst losing?
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Shocked in both to be honest. I got 3 of 6 right from what I picked in the beginning, and the ones I lost D1, D3, and D4 probably were the ones I was most confident in back at the start. Shows what I know.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wanted us to win so badly, because of a kid like Counts. He had thrown 3 picks all year and 3 today. His crying was so loud I could hear it echoing. A player like Hull, who was playing with his grandfather dying yesterday, he's one of those super quiet players who just busts his butt and he has been all but prison-style ra-ped this year and never complains. I asked him after last week if he had any jersey left, he just kind of smiled and said ah that happens. I could go on and on but I'm kind of dead right now.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I told someone at that game I think state titles mean more to people in this area, every year I go up there we have more fans than whoever we play.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I wanted us to win so badly, because of a kid like Counts. He had thrown 3 picks all year and 3 today. His crying was so loud I could hear it echoing. A player like Hull, who was playing with his grandfather dying yesterday, he's one of those super quiet players who just busts his butt and he has been all but prison-style ra-ped this year and never complains. I asked him after last week if he had any jersey left, he just kind of smiled and said ah that happens. I could go on and on but I'm kind of dead right now. </div></div>

I'll say it again, the classiest and most humble bunch that I have every seen. Sad to see them go...
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

-Teddy Roosevelt

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I kind of agree. You have the experts (well ok all of us and every person in the stand nearly), who criticize every coaching decision. The lack of a particular player being used, the overuse of another player, not running behind one player, not pulling a player, etc. Through all of the attempts to divide the team, and I know that people don't directly go out of their way with that attempt (or most people at least), I didn't see it with this group. I'll go with the most obvious one. Everybody always wanted Osborne to get more carries (me included, although I think wanted him to get more touches didn't matter in what way the ball was in his hands), and it would have been very easy to have turned that into a jealous kind of issue between he and Robinson, but I never seen it. To me that is what allowed this team to do well, they never seemed to have a case of ego, and I think that starts at the front with Coach Mullins, who really doesn't treat player A differently than player B. Probably not a comment I should make so much but season is over, I will tell you this one. It was just an example to me of how things are run there. I went up Thursday evening to get a schedule of things and find out if anything I needed to do. Coaches were all sitting around, Chris Robinson was standing there kind of waiting for his dad. Here is he, senior, coaches son, probably player of the year, and there was something they wanted to discuss, instead of treating Robinson any different they had him leave the room, and closed the door on him. Even there 2 days before things ended, all the players were treated the same, when one probably most places would have been invited into the room and asked what they wanted to do about things. I just thought that was a prime example of the way Rick runs things.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Inactive Member
    My thoughts on the game(s)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Those few days after losing a close game in State were rough. I remember if it were yesterday and likely will never forget it. I still remember the ride up, the night in hotel before, the waking up the morning of the game, the Breakfast before the game, the excitement of pulling up to James Madison.
    Still remember being confident we were going to win the game when we were driving the ball down the field at the end of the game. We had a turnover in the red zone, and it felt like someone had just punched me right in the stomach.
    Time heals all wounds, but I still think back to what could have been. At the same time I know I left all I had on that field, so as time goes by I start thinking of the accomplishments we had just to get to the game, the friendships and bonds that were made, and all the great memories.
    [img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/rayscheer159/rolltide.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

State, regional or just regualar season, you never forget that last game I don't believe. Its even worse I believe when you lose a game you know you should have won. Its always in the back of your mind asking if you could have done more to get that win and advance.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Inactive Member imported_burrhead's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This bunch was a great bunch, but there will be more coming around. Not all are the same, but it will roll around. I don't like some of Rick's play calling. too predictable sometimes, but he is the coach. I really like him, always have. He is a funny kind of bird to be around, maybe a little too serious sometimes, but it has brought some dicipline and respect back to Greenwave football.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast