Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think this is bull.

(CNN) -- Georgia's public colleges have adopted new policies that officials say will prevent illegal immigrants from attending five high-demand schools and from being admitted ahead of legally and academically qualified residents at the rest of the state's public institutions of higher learning.

The State Board of Regents, which oversees public colleges in Georgia, also approved legal penalties for providing incorrect information on tuition-related forms.

The regents, who have been under public pressure about the admission of illegal immigrants, say the issue not been a significant problem.

Only 501 of 310,000 students within the university system are undocumented and they already pay out-of-state tuition, said regents spokesman John Millsaps.

But the new tuition policy, which takes effect in fall 2011, enables Georgia to "strengthen the ability of institutions to properly classify students for tuition purposes," the board said in a statement after the vote Wednesday.

"We are an educational agency in the business of preparing individuals for careers requiring knowledge and skills," said regent James Jolly. "We are not in the immigration business, nor are we equipped to serve as the immigration authorities."

The regents want to ensure that undocumented students -- no matter how academically qualified they may be -- don't move ahead of academically and legally qualified applicants at schools that for the past two academic years had to reject qualified applicants because of a lack of space or other reasons.

Not all of the 510 undocumented students are illegal immigrants, the regents say. Some may have lost their legal status or cannot affirm citizenship. Regents ordered schools to verify a legal presence in the United States for those seeking in-state tuition.

Under the new policy, illegal immigrants will not be able to attend the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia Tech in Atlanta, the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta, Georgia State University in Atlanta and Georgia College & State University in Milledgeville, all of which have turned away students.

That list of banned schools may change each year, depending on circumstances.

Those five schools had only 27 undocumented students enrolled this fall, officials said.

The system's other 30 colleges and universities will be able to admit undocumented students if they pay out-of-state tuition, which more than covers the cost of educating a student who pays it, and if they are not accepted ahead of qualified students, according to Millsaps.

The space crunch at the five named schools is not usually present at the other 30, which accommodate all students who meet academic standards.

"Not enough Georgians graduate from high school and pursue post-secondary education," Millsaps said. "We need more Georgians to pursue higher education."

The American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia decried the vote and said undocumented college students are "by and large talented high achievers who arrived in the U.S. as children because of the choices their parents made. They grew up in this country and persevered against the odds" to graduate from high school.

The ACLU also argues federal databases used for some legal status verification are error-filled.

Controversy over admissions erupted after a student at Kennesaw State University in the Atlanta suburb of Kennesaw was found to be in the United States illegally. She was being charged in-state tuition.

The issue has come up in the gubernatorial race this fall in Georgia. Democrat Roy Barnes and Repulican Nathan Deal both oppose allowing illegal immigrants to attend public colleges in the state.

South Carolina does not allowed undocumented students in public colleges.

Georgia clamps down on illegal immigrants in colleges - CNN.com

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: I think this is bull.

I think it's bull that we give free handouts to illegals over people who are american citizens that are academically qualified.
    crack is whack

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyhead View Post
    I think it's bull that we give free handouts to illegals over people who are american citizens that are academically qualified.
    This.

As liberal as I tend to be, and as much as I believe illegal immigrants should be given a chance in this country, to stand in the way of someone born/raised/legal in this country getting a higher education in favor of someone who has not taken the steps to become a legal US citizen, is ludicrous.

When the illegals are legal, then they can feel free to enroll in public universities. I'm sure the colleges will be glad to take their money for 4 years in exchange for a piece of paper just like they do anyone else. Until then, their first priority shouldn't be a college degree, but a green card. What would be so wrong w/an illegal applying for a student visa and taking classes? At least a student visa would show they're willing to stand up and be counted by our government so we know that they're here and what their intentions are.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, R13, can't agree with you here. Legally and academically qualified residents are more of a priority than illegals. It only makes sense.
    [I]I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech. [/I]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Illegal is the key word...shouldn't even be in the country, much less taking away opportunities of college education from LEGAL citizens.

How on earth can you possibly think this is bull r13?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Every state should do this honestly
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/redskins3.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/6a00d83451ba6469e200e54f0eaffb8833-.gif[/img]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/unc1-1.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's bull for several reasons....

1) The dumb remark of it being "a handout". We're talking about giving a kid an education, there's nothing fucking wasteful about that, to say that just because they're illegal is asinine. It never said they weren't paying, so how that could be a handout is beyond me, it even says they pay higher tuition.

2) They're paying out-of-state tuition, which is a lot more than in-state.

3) If they're getting accepted over legal ones, that most likely means they are testing better/have better grades. Maybe the legal ones should study a little harder and it wouldn't be a problem.

4) Undocumented doesn't mean they jumped a damn fence either, it specifically said that some have lost their citizenship or can't affirm it. So we just screw them over by instituting this... for what?

5) Who the hell do we think we are saying one kid takes priority over another kid based on a piece of paper? That's all it is too before any of you try to argue it, the legal ones haven't earned anything, they just happened to be born here - so it's tough luck for others who weren't fortunate enough to be born here and lets make it harder on them then before by screwing up their education.

6) I see the bitching and moaning about being them being such a drain on us, but when some try to get a good education in this country, we do shit like this...it's nothing new, we basically invite them here and treat them like scum, just more hypocrisy.

7) When we fix the system from the clusterfuck it is trying to get into this country, then we might have a leg to stand on with something like this.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes lets make it easier to get citizenship. That will solve a whole lot of problems.....
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    Yes lets make it easier to get citizenship. That will solve a whole lot of problems.....
    How wouldn't it? It would be drastic, it takes years and thousands of dollars generally for people to come here legally, the system is screwed - that's a huge reason why illegals are here illegally, they can't get in legally.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Citizenship and being here legally are two totally different things, and no, being here legally isn't requires nothing similar to earning your citizenship.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast