Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Which Is Your Religion?

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, clueless one, thou knowest. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't help it if you're pure Jedi in the vein of Yoda. I've got a bit of Dark Side in me. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    I fully agree. My premise is that many who go to the traditional church merely worship the church and/or the pastor...it's misplaced faith, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen that. I attended one church in Scott Co. for about 5 years. The pastor could have said 'jump' and 9/10's of the congregation would have said 'How High?'.

There is a fine line in that regard. One has to be careful how they regard a pastor or other leader (religion, politics, it is all the same). They must be respected because of their calling. But at the same time, great care must be taken so that one doesn't begin 'worshipping' (for lack of a better term) that person.

One thing a person needs to remember is that while a pastor should be respected, they also are still a fleshly man. Open to all of the trappings that befall all mortal men.

Sadly, many enter the ministry not as a matter of calling, but as a means to acrue wealth and community standing. You can see it every day by watching the various religious programming on television.

But one must also take care to not throw the baby out with the bath water and judge Christianity as a whole based on charlatans like Benny Hinn or any of the other health & wealth frauds out there.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ah, my friend, but what do you find in a church? Human beings. If the Bible is clear on one thing, it is that we as human beings are sinful. Just as you expect that a dog will behave like a dog, so must human beings behave as human beings. God never tried to hide the fact that his children were misbehavers. Look at David, look at Samson, look at Moses. All failed God and fell short of the mark, but God is good. Why else would He allow us to know the sins of great heroes in the Bible??? They found love and restitution in God's eyes. Isn't that our whole aim in worshipping??
    If I go to church thinking that I am perfect and am being joined by scores of other perfect people, Satan doesn't have to deceive me as I've already done that to myself.

Yes, there are a lot of hypocrites in church. In a way, we all are to some degree. But at least we're there. Just as Jesus pointed out that only the sick needed a physician, so too must I point out that the church is the closest thing you'll find to a spiritual hospital, and that is where the sin-sick (us human beings) need to be.
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As a rule, I don't watch "religious" programs on TV just for the cause you've mentioned.
    Both you and Boney are right about folks "worshipping" the pastor. If our church had done that, it would have died in 1992, and again in 2002 when our pastors left. The one we have now is a great pastor, but I haven't seen anyone come just because he's the pastor. He's too ugly. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

(I'm gonna have to print this off and show it to him Sunday!! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
    But in the long run

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh, clueless one, thou knowest. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't help it if you're pure Jedi in the vein of Yoda. I've got a bit of Dark Side in me. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

All right, that did it! Light sabers at 10 paces!!!
    But in the long run

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It doesn't just happen in religious matters, it happens in all walks of life.

Look at those in the political spectrum who worship certain folks. There were a great many who would have done anything for Clinton. There are a great many today who would suck Bush's toes if he asked them to do so.

If one remembers that man is anything but infallible, then it becomes easier.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Prepare to die old man. Don't worry, I'll take good care of your family after you're gone. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Prepare to die old man. Don't worry, I'll take good care of your family after you're gone. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, it may be me taking care of your cat! But just in case,
    remember to take care of the dogs too.
    But in the long run

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fully agree. And you thought you'd never become a preacher!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    There is a fine line in that regard. One has to be careful how they regard a pastor or other leader (religion, politics, it is all the same). They must be respected because of their calling. But at the same time, great care must be taken so that one doesn't begin 'worshipping' (for lack of a better term) that person.

One thing a person needs to remember is that while a pastor should be respected, they also are still a fleshly man. Open to all of the trappings that befall all mortal men.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I am gonna catch hell for this one. But this seems to be what the catholic church is today with the amount of importance they place on priests and especially the Pope.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast