Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: 5 most shocking things in the Bible

It takes some scaring to get some to believe!! If that be the case, whatever works!! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But I know what you're saying. I'm assuming that most of you guys are younger than me and ole Teach there. I can remember some pretty scary times during "preaching" as I was growing up. My mother-in-law was grabbed by the shoulders and shook as a young girl, with the preacher yelling "you're going to Hell" in her face at the same time. Is it any wonder that she shunned church for a long time?
    I think you'll not find many ministers trained in a seminary using such tactics, as they know that God's Word is powerful and "will not return void". In other words, they are to plant the words and God's words will take care of the rest.
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My priest always seemed to have a positive message, and that's what I missed the most when he retired. It always seemed that what he said was doable. One of his sermons actually dealt with something I did for a little boy who had Down Syndrome prior to my final home basketball game at PV. He came to see me, which was special in and of itself. His sermon that Sunday caught me completely by surprise. I have to say that there has been no one like him since I left BSG and I doubt there will ever be another. I still try to lead my life as if he was still here. I have a church pew from my church in my house and for some odd reason, my first born son was named "Ben." I guess without someone to rely on as a true spiritual leader, I have looked for "signs" to lead me on my journey. Sounds kind of corny, especially if you knew my background, but I seriously await the next sign. The filmmaker who made "The Teachings of Jon" actually came to my school and made a presentation, based on my descriptions of how we used her film in class and what we did to include children with special needs in our school. That has led to the next step in the journey. What do I do next?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All I can do is to try to guide you as I have been guided. As I'm typing this there is a young minister not five feet from me, a friend of my son's who I also consider a "son". I see in him confidence and assurance in knowing what God wants him to do. I wish I could bottle that up and send it to you. My best advice is to tell you to talk to God. What has worked for me may not necessarily work for you, and that is exactly how I've been guided by others over the years. There is no substitute for a one-on-one conversation with Him. If you're not "right" with Him, He will let you know. If you are doing exactly what He wants you to do, He will also affirm that.
    But in the long run

Inactive Member imported_juggernaut28's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As a young child my mother took all 3 of her kids to church every sunday. I don't remember much about the preacher or sunday school teacher teaching us about hell. Even the day I got saved as a young child at the age of 12, the preacher wasn't preaching about hell but just the opposite-LOVE. He asked a question "Is there anyone that you love and you know they will be in heaven one day, don't you want to see them again?" My heart just broke and I thought about my mother at the time. Had he preached about hell then I don't think I would have felt the way I did that day. But God knows the heart of us all and I believe that the sermon that day was meant for me, cause I was the only one that came forward and gave my heart to God. Did I feel like a new person yes I can say that I did. But then in my teens I started seperating myself from church, the word of God and my time alone with God. I failed terribly and got into so much sin. I seperated myself from God completely I think.

But to the reference about HELL. Hell was not made for any of us to go there but for Lucifer(Satan) and all his fallen angels. For there was a war in heaven and Satan was kicked out and all the angels that fought with Satan. The way I take Hell is Christ Jesus warns his children about it because he knew that Satan would have so many different ways to decieve the world and one way was to get people to not believe in hell at all. I have children myself and I don't teach them to be afraid but I teach them there are consequences through Love. I don't worry about them doing what is right, I feel like I have taught them right from wrong. But I do empasize more on what the consequences are if they do wrong. Example I will tell them something to do that is right and I will at the same time tell them if they don't do it what the punishment is several times. Jesus loves us so much that he continually warns us about Hell and really the only way to not be decieved by Satan in any way is to live a close walk (relationship) with Christ Jesus. I often feel like my life is so stressed and I am giving all my time to everyone around me, and I lack in spending time with Jesus. I do not want to be decieved and I certainly don't want my children led down a path of destruction either, no matter how good that path may look. In every thing in our life we must ask is Jesus leading me into this. If not then we know that it is our ownself and the wiles of Satan, tempting us to fall.

In the end I have gave my heart and life back to Jesus, I don't find Hell so scary really. Because what scares me the most is feeling seperated from God. Not feeling his presence and walking alone. That is torment really. That is also what Adam and Eve felt the second they sinned--Seperation from God. That is when they felt shame,lonliness and therfore they could see that day forward with different eyes. They felt what we all feel today as sinners. Something that is seperating us from God. To me that is what hell on Earth is, being seperated from God.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think I am right with God, it's just not what everybody else does. You see, my life's journey is one that I take very seriously. It doesn't just take place in one building on one particular day of the week. I am very happy with who I am and what I am doing, but I feel very uncomfortable discussing what my beliefs are. As I have said earlier, quoting scriptures is not my thing and being saved is something I am not familiar with. I struggle with religion, because my way of relating to God seems to be a little bit different than other people's. I have no educated basis to describe this and it gets pretty frustrating when I read some of the things that come out.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Read Romans, chapters 9 and 10. Paul spells out very clearly the steps we all must follow to be in right standing with God.
    Paul said: "I am made all things to all men, that I might by ALL means SAVE some." (We must be diverse to reach the lost!)
    He also told us to not judge others in what they eat, what they drink, and what days they may observe. (there is a certain liberty that comes from being saved, and that involves choosing how and where we might serve).
    But in the long run

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You are taking the right steps by relating your feelings. As I have become older and I hope and little wiser, I realize that to succeed in any relationship there must be communication. Well, to have a relationship with God, there must be communication. That communication can take place inside a church, while you are out walking or running or anywhere you wish for it too. I arise at 5 on school days and go to Wise to drive my bus. I arrive about 45 minutes before I must leave and start about 8 buses for other drivers and spend that time alone. When I get back into my truck, I have tapes to listen to, I read the Bible and meditate. That seems to work for me. What works for me, might not work for you, but you are going in the right direction.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, Teach, for spelling out what I was really trying to say. We can't do it exactly like someone else. When I re-read my previous post, it sounds like I'm preaching. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

So, what Teach said!!! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    But in the long run

I do not think everything is focused on "hell".... I know a Preacher who cannot read and he is close to 60... his wife reads the Bible to him and he preaches... he never learned to read. It is the spirit of God that lead, Guides, and directs us.... going to church has nothing to do with your salvation... ever heard the saying... going to Mc Donalds does not make you a hamburger like going to church does not make you a christian? If you will look around and see the condition that this world is in you will see the need to warn people.. there is a preacher on TV by the name of Joel Osteen.. he is a very encouraging preacher and focuses on that... we ned that gift of encouragement in the ministry today also... watch him if you wish... I do.

We should serve God because we love him... but to serve him because you do not desire to go to hell is a pretty good reason also... We should have this outlook.... God loved us enough to send his only Son to die for us.... he created us to worship him and him alone... once we realize who we are and what we are supposed to do while here on earth we will find contentment.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast