Thread: Should we give or not?

Should we give or not?

Let us say that there is a family in need of food... okay should we give them money to get food? Let me give you the circumstances behind it. The father is a heavy drinker... the mom is an abused wife and the children are 2 years of age and the other one is 4. Would you give or not give? Here is what I may do.... I would first try and talk to them as a family... then I would go myself and get their groceries... so the money could not be spent on anything else... then continue to help them in the future so they could eventually help themself. What would you do?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Should we give or not?

Why wouldn't you call the cops or Social Services?

[ QUOTE ]
    Why wouldn't you call the cops or Social Services?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would try and help them first.... but if there was no change in the circumstance then yes... I would call both.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think that you should call social services b/c if you go and try and talk to the family, thinking that you are "helping" them, they make take offense to that. When kids are going hungry and if the father is an abusive alcoholic, then it is a little beyond you.
    Plus the wife may really want to leave, but it might not be safe for her and the children to leave, but with social services there are several battered women's shelters, many of which are not readily known to the public.
    I make Machiavelli look like a weenie.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with alienist. Moral obligation may drive you to make the decision to do something, but you have to be practical about which avenue you choose.