Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: ACLU after Gate City High School

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    NASCAR is a corporation, in no way similiar to an educational institution.

This is one of those times I am just gonna peace out, if I post, everyone will hate me.
    Everyone already hates you!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK, I can't resist.

Do you guys not see a conflict of interest here? What if a team had a Buddhist? Muslim? Atheist?

You shouldn't force people of other religions to have to sit thru a prayer like that. Imagine if a Muslim student tried this, you guys would go bat****.

Inactive Member collegetrumpet2010's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's not true.

The article plainly said that student led prayers have been found unconstitutional. Did you not read the original post?
    Yes, I did. Did you not read this part from the article?

I still fail to see how this was unconstitutional.
    The letter cited the U.S. Supreme Court?s 2000 ruling in Sante Fe Independent School District v. Doe.

In that case, the court found that prayers at public high school football games were, in certain instances, unconstitutional and could amount to a ?school-sponsored religious message.?

But according to the U.S. Department of Education?s Web site on constitutionally protected prayer in public schools, prayer is not attributable to a school and cannot be restricted when a student has ?primary control over the content of their expression.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK, I can't resist.

Do you guys not see a conflict of interest here? What if a team had a Buddhist? Muslim? Atheist?

You shouldn't force people of other religions to have to sit thru a prayer like that. Imagine if a Muslim student tried this, you guys would go bat****.
    But the prayer was not for them it was mostly for the Sullivan South fans that are suffering and for the Logue familly who are Christians. This whole thing would not have bothered me as bad had it been on any other night but that one. As for hating I do not hate you for speaking your mind and I do not hate the person that brought this up. I just thought it was inconsiderate because of the night in question. The main thing she supposedly did wrong was saying in Jesus name at the end. That was her prefference and did not force anyone to say it. She has the right to say her prayer in her own way just like any buddist or other Religion does. If it had been a Buddist or other Religion leading the prayer I would have prayed along with them but not to their God. The person could have done the same or just not prayed at all. That would be their prefference. Sometimes people dont like what we have to say but we have the right to say it anyway.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvfan View Post
    ?Of course individuals are free to pray before, during and after a game,? Glenberg said. ?But when it becomes part of the official opening of the game and carries those (signs) of school sponsorship, that?s when it becomes impermissible.?
    THAT is the part you are missing.

Even if it is student led, when its an official part of opening a game, that means the school knew about it, and knew what was going to happen, which sounds a lot like the school said its okay.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    But the prayer was not for them it was mostly for the Sullivan South fans that are suffering and for the Logue familly who are Christians. This whole thing would not have bothered me as bad had it been on any other night but that one. As for hating I do not hate you for speaking your mind and I do not hate the person that brought this up. I just thought it was inconsiderate because of the night in question. The main thing she supposedly did wrong was saying in Jesus name at the end. That was her prefference and did not force anyone to say it. She has the right to say her prayer in her own way just like any buddist or other Religion does. If it had been a Buddist or other Religion leading the prayer I would have prayed along with them but not to their God. The person could have done the same or just not prayed at all. That would be their prefference. Sometimes people dont like what we have to say but we have the right to say it anyway.

If a group of Christians get together and pray its completely fine.

Its not the fact the people prayed, if the whole stadium wanted to meet outside in the parking lot for an organized, Christian prayer that would have been fine.

But when they do it as an official part of a HS game, it gives the impression that the
    schools are sanctioned Christian prayers and beliefs, which is not okay at all.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wonder what the constitutionality would be if prior to each football game they open the mic to anyone who would like to say a prayer before a game. What if the only religion that stepped forward each night was christianity? Would this be legal?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I firmly believe that the law was not intentionally broken and the prayer had the best of intentions of trying to comfort two grieving communities. Mr. Logue should not be remembered in this way, by this I mean that he should not be remembered for causing controversy at a game, but he should be remembered as a friend, son, and athlete whose life touched more people than anyone could ever imagine.

Kinda makes me wonder, how many Christians would want to come forward and say to a person of another religion who is holding "noon-time" prayer on school grounds that they are interfering with our beliefs? Which of us would go to the ACLU and ask them to defend your beliefs?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If a group of Christians get together and pray its completely fine.

Its not the fact the people prayed, if the whole stadium wanted to meet outside in the parking lot for an organized, Christian prayer that would have been fine.

But when they do it as an official part of a HS game, it gives the impression that the
    schools are sanctioned Christian prayers and beliefs, which is not okay at all.
    The only part to me that makes it a Christian prayer was when she said in Jesus name at the end. Myself I wouldnt care if it was another Religion leading the prayer. Would not bother me at all because that is their right as an American citizen. I also beleive Gate City would allow another Religion to lead prayer if they asked. But there would be some get mad and want to crucify the school over it but other Religions should have that right along with the rest no matter who it offends. I am not against the person bringing this up soley because I am of the Christian Religion. I am against it because it should be the right of any person regaurdless of their Religion to lead in prayer like that at school or anywhere. I know what you are getting to but to me it shouldnt matter. Maybe if the school could say we as Gate City High School do not sanction the following prayer it could be ok. I think Freedom of Speech or Religion should be practiced anywhere and anytime. To me its a double standerd. Why teach these kids they have Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Speech and then tell them they cant do it on the PA system at a football game?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK, I can't resist.

Your opening a huge can of worms with this. As long as the school lets anybody that wants pray, then they can pray. Muslim students throughout this country are already getting special breaks and the ACLU has not once opened their mouth. Certain religions require garments to be worn at all times on all parts of the body, leagues governing these rules are making exceptions daily to allow those who practice Islam exceptions on wear. This doesn't sound like a big deal and I for one think everybody should be allowed to participate. However, with the advancements of modern technology what you wear can significantly help your performance. What I think many fail to forget is that is a country of varying beliefs, do you really think that there is no where in this country where a coach does not lead prayer based upon Islam? I think they should be allowed to do so, at the same time I think those in this area should be allowed to practice their Christian Faith.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast