Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: ACLU after Gate City High School

Quote Originally Posted by imported_centennialdawg View Post
    I firmly believe that the law was not intentionally broken and the prayer had the best of intentions of trying to comfort two grieving communities. Mr. Logue should not be remembered in this way, by this I mean that he should not be remembered for causing controversy at a game, but he should be remembered as a friend, son, and athlete whose life touched more people than anyone could ever imagine.

Kinda makes me wonder, how many Christians would want to come forward and say to a person of another religion who is holding "noon-time" prayer on school grounds that they are interfering with our beliefs? Which of us would go to the ACLU and ask them to defend your beliefs?
    You are right. Mr. Logue should not be and will not be remebered like that. I just hate it was brought up on that night and not some other night.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvfan View Post
    Your opening a huge can of worms with this. As long as the school lets anybody that wants pray, then they can pray. Muslim students throughout this country are already getting special breaks and the ACLU has not once opened their mouth. Certain religions require garments to be worn at all times on all parts of the body, leagues governing these rules are making exceptions daily to allow those who practice Islam exceptions on wear. This doesn't sound like a big deal and I for one think everybody should be allowed to participate. However, with the advancements of modern technology what you wear can significantly help your performance. What I think many fail to forget is that is a country of varying beliefs, do you really think that there is no where in this country where a coach does not lead prayer based upon Islam? I think they should be allowed to do so, at the same time I think those in this area should be allowed to practice their Christian Faith.
    That is not the point at all;

Thats a lot of posturing and no meat.

When a high school uses an 'official' prayer from a specific religion, no matter if the students start it, its still church and state.

If they prayed in Arabic, its still wrong. You simply cannot, as a school, allow any form of official, denominational prayer.

It was a terrible situation, but why wouldnt a moment of silence suffice?
    I feel for the family that had the loss, but that doesn't mean its okay to throw out the constitution.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There was an issue at Lee High this past week too with the game against Middlesboro, there's a letter to the editor about it in the Powell Valley News paper (down in Pennington), apparently someone complained about prayer being led before each game (which they've done for a long time). Before the game this time they just asked for a moment silence in remembrance of 9/11, Lee High's band was on the field getting ready to play the national anthem and before they did a Lee High band member started the Lord's Prayer and was followed by the crowd and others. Players and cheerleaders from both sides went to the center of the field, knelt, and prayed. Very nice moment.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvfan View Post
    Your opening a huge can of worms with this. As long as the school lets anybody that wants pray, then they can pray. Muslim students throughout this country are already getting special breaks and the ACLU has not once opened their mouth. Certain religions require garments to be worn at all times on all parts of the body, leagues governing these rules are making exceptions daily to allow those who practice Islam exceptions on wear. This doesn't sound like a big deal and I for one think everybody should be allowed to participate. However, with the advancements of modern technology what you wear can significantly help your performance. What I think many fail to forget is that is a country of varying beliefs, do you really think that there is no where in this country where a coach does not lead prayer based upon Islam? I think they should be allowed to do so, at the same time I think those in this area should be allowed to practice their Christian Faith.
    And I think atheists in this area should be allowed to practice their faith, or lack thereof.

When I go to a football game, or any other function, and people pray, I look like a jackass. People stare, give me dirty looks, etc.. because I wont bow my head and close my eyes.

Is that right? No, but I deal with it, its the area we live in. Non-religious people in this area give you guys EVERYTHING. Why aren't we, as atheists, entitled to be free to do as we feel fit, without having to deal with all the discrimination in this area that comes with 'Not Loving JESUS'?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    And I think atheists in this area should be allowed to practice their faith, or lack thereof.

When I go to a football game, or any other function, and people pray, I look like a jackass. People stare, give me dirty looks, etc.. because I wont bow my head and close my eyes.

Is that right? No, but I deal with it, its the area we live in. Non-religious people in this area give you guys EVERYTHING. Why aren't we, as atheists, entitled to be free to do as we feel fit, without having to deal with all the discrimination in this area that comes with 'Not Loving JESUS'?
    Oh boo hoo, cry me a river. You are free to do as you please! You just said you don't bow your head, close your eyes, etc. That is your choice your free to do so, nobody forces you to bow your head do they? I really can not believe you made this comment, I'm guessing at no point you have ever looked at somebody in a weird manner because they acted out of the norm?
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post

Well if they are looking around during prayer then they probably agree with you and are doing the same thing you are doing. They probably think you are looking at them and giving them dirty looks. Atheist's are paranoid.
    GO VOLS

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I understand why they did it, but what they should have done is a "moment of silence". It makes everyone happy, you can pray to God, Allah, the devil or not pray at all...most places do that. While I'm not all for the ACLU, you have to understand is that there has to be someone/maybe more who complained about this...they have no clue otherwise what's going on at some HS football game. Can't blame the ACLU when they are doing what they do, when there are clearly some(maybe even one) that was offended by it. GC does do this, when we played them in the LPD tourney a few years ago..after the game, us and GC was asked to take a knee while we were led in a prayer. A moment of silence is what was needed, it steps on no ones toes.

At the time I was still christian, so I didn't really have a problem with it. But what was I supposed to have done if I was agnostic at the time?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post

At the time I was still christian, so I didn't really have a problem with it. But what was I supposed to have done if I was agnostic at the time?
    Stand there and give biggun dirty looks would have sufficed. Or you could have done the same thing you would have during a moment of silence
    GO VOLS

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If only the South had won,,,,,the war that is. **** liberals have ruined this country. Why would a person be bothered by prayer to a God that you dont believe in, odd.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MapleGap View Post
    If only the South had won,,,,,the war that is.**** liberals have ruined this country.
    Dumbest ****ing **** ever said on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post
    Stand there and give biggun dirty looks would have sufficed. Or you could have done the same thing you would have during a moment of silence

So I stand over to the side by myself, with hundreds of people are watching and judging like usual?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast