Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: I have a rules question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gym Monster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PVFAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant say that i have never critized anyone, but not on a public forum though. </div></div>

Really? What would you call this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Well, my concern is this: YOu are a mod, and you are not suppose to discuss it in the way that you did. Would it not have been better to just pm them? Not good leadership in my opinion.</div></div>

</div></div>

The difference is I was talking directly to the mod and he has the oppurtunity to defend himself. </div></div>

As did Zebra as a member of this forum, and since he had already posted on this thread, I felt it was a good time to ask about the ruling and figure out why things were so inconsistent thru basketball season this year. I was talking directly to him, and he had every opportunity to defend himself--no one was going to ban him or censor him for answering any questions or criticism--he was free to fire anything back he felt was fitting.

So by your latest logic--what I did was OK. Just pointing that out. Who knows--by tomorrow your logic may change again and we'll both be in the wrong. We'll see how that works out.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Forget it Cane and PVFAN, you can't reason with the unreasonable.

Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Without digging out the old posts that lead us to this point I will say the following

1) I would prefer this form be for asking officials specific rule points or to clarify why something was called somewhere and not for ref bashing

2) There will ALWAYS be ref bashing (disserved and undeserved) they are not doing it for free and should NOT be surprised when it happens and should be able to explain them self's when ask in a reasonable manner

3) Area Refs for the most part have ties to local teams BUT IMHO I do not think any TRY to hose a team for the benefit of another.....However I DO think that some hold grudges against some coaches

4) I think the Refs do a Great job in football for the most part you can catch a few goofs here and there but 90% of what I think are bad calls during the game prove to be the right call after watching the film

5) Softball Refing was IMHO good as well (As was the few baseball games I watched this year

6) Basketball needs work the Refs in general have a tendency to try to even up fouls at the end of a half and Clearly out of position refs are making calls that without the benefit of x-ray vision they can not possibly see.

IMHO Basketball Refs would benefit from having a retired/off duty ref sit in the stands and grade/creteak the officials for the game IMHO it would allow for them to produce a better product

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Once again....

You aren't gonna have good reffs when all of us that call some ball can make the same, or better money calling Rec League, with 1/10th the pressure...

And I don't see any fans willing to pay $10 to get in a high school game to have good officials....

Who here is OK with $10 per person admission????

Everyone seems to think the reffs are getting rich, when the truth is, most of us pay to call any type ball...
    Need A Penny? Take A Penny...Need 2 Pennies? Get A Job!!!
    [img]http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/sports_photos/College/Football/james-davis-GI.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neutral88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once again....

You aren't gonna have good reffs when all of us that call some ball can make the same, or better money calling Rec League, with 1/10th the pressure...

And I don't see any fans willing to pay $10 to get in a high school game to have good officials....

Who here is OK with $10 per person admission????

Everyone seems to think the reffs are getting rich, when the truth is, most of us pay to call any type ball... </div></div>

Not saying you or anyone else is "getting rich" but it per hour it is pretty dang good money. AND even if they were volentering there time I think that they should TRY to do as good a job as they possable could.

I am not saying it is not a Tough job BUT if they are going to do it they should try to do it well.....Like I said before I think football in this area it done well for the most part as is baseball/softball it is basketball and basketball alone I have a problem with

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have noticed basketball as a probloem child as well...That being said, it probably involves as much or more judgement as well...another words not so cut and dry like baseball...

Now if someone has actually said, "I don't care and I don't know why I'm here" , then thats a problem...But if you've never worn the stripes, and by that I mean at least 25 times, you have no idea the pressure if you are trying to call it right, which I do...

Now, for the underpaid statement I made, I didn't mean they aren't trying because of the pay...I meant some of the more talented reffs are staying home, or never signing up to start with...

Everything aside.....How many of you jump up and scream when a bad call goes your teams way, the same way you do when it goes against you????? I can answer that, none of you...
    Need A Penny? Take A Penny...Need 2 Pennies? Get A Job!!!
    [img]http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/sports_photos/College/Football/james-davis-GI.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neutral88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have noticed basketball as a probloem child as well...That being said, it probably involves as much or more judgement as well...another words not so cut and dry like baseball...

Now if someone has actually said, "I don't care and I don't know why I'm here" , then thats a problem...But if you've never worn the stripes, and by that I mean at least 25 times, you have no idea the pressure if you are trying to call it right, which I do...

Now, for the underpaid statement I made, I didn't mean they aren't trying because of the pay...I meant some of the more talented reffs are staying home, or never signing up to start with...

Everything aside.....How many of you jump up and scream when a bad call goes your teams way, the same way you do when it goes against you????? I can answer that, none of you...

</div></div>

Jump up and scream no but sit back and say "how in the world did they miss that one?" yes

For the Refs I DO think that they should be given more respect during games and that that the fans can get a bit TOO upset at times (there will always be some ref harassment during the games but some take it WAY to far)

Honestly I am not much for getting worked up over judgment calls (even if I think they are wrong) but some of the stuff is SO predictable that it could be turned into a drinking game

1) 2 min till the end of the half team A has 9 team fouls while team B has 2 - 4 out of 5 games the foul total will be within 2 by the half

2) In every game a Ref from half court will call a foul under the basket on a play that his view of the defender is obscured by the offensive player....This would not even be that bad if not for the look of surprise on the ref that is under the basket 5 feet from the "fouls" face after the whistle.

3) If there is an out of shape ref in the mix there will be more and more fouls called as the game goes alone

4) If there is a big collage football matchup on TV the night of the basketball game the game will be a no blood no foul death match

Now don't think I am just ripping on the refs because for all there faults I do not think any in my experience have tried to tilt the game in favor of one team, over the other and that is a huge positive that should NOT be taken for granted because without the AOA you would Probably see schools filling the refing with locals or school employees that may take "home cooking" to a new level and no one wants to see that

In any case it is a new year (and it is a LONG time till basketball season) so lets let this whole thing DIE

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ie going to Volunteer and playing. Funniest thing ever was my senior year we went there and the JV played and the janitors were calling the game. It was bad seeing them clean the bleachers when we came out of the dressing room after the varsity game.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can honestly say that I've never seen a game that I thought was officiated fairly when it involved a VHSL Team and a TSSA Team (Football).
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In VA or TN or both?
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast