Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Patterns...

  1. #1
    Inactive Member sailorangel59's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 10th, 2004
    Posts
    281
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just had a thought... do you think that with this new found popularity. AG will release patterns for girls costumes of their favorite doll... I can imagine that this would be popular during Halloween at least. To have a Bridesmaid, or meet dress like Samantha... or at the very least... bring back the outfits long since retired?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Sakurako's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I doubt that they will release patterns. They never provided girl sized patterns, even when the first doll patterns came out and the girl-sized clothes were still available. I'm guessing that the venture into selling doll clothes patterns was an expensive one for Pleasant Co. They had to tool up and get the patterns drafted, the directions written, everything printed -- and then home sewers grabbed the patterns and started reproducing the clothes that Pleasant Co. was selling, in competition with them! When Vogue started coming out with their version of the same items, some nearly identical, it was only a matter of time before Pleasant Co. backed out of that particular line of business.

    I remember -- in 1992 there were no patterns sized for AG dolls, and I had to modify some that McCalls made for medium-sized toddler dolls. By 1995, every major pattern company had a full line of doll clothes patterns for each historical period plus some modern outfits. Vogue anticipated, as I did, that the next AG doll would be Native American and released their own Indian doll pattern and wardrobe just before the first AG of Today dolls were announced in Sept. It was the first mis-step I saw Vogue make. They recovered nicely. But when even the AGT halloween costumes were copied by Vogue, it became pretty clear that American Girl should stay out of the pattern business because the competition was so close behind them all the time! And with all the home sewers selling their creations on ebay now, there's even less incentive for AG to return to selling patterns.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Peachysweetdream's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2002
    Posts
    389
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree that it would be highly unlikely for AG ever to sell patterns, as even when they sold the historical girl-sized dresses, no patterns were given. I wouldn't be suprised though if some new historical outfits were created for girls again though... AG is expanding left and right!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member LindaL's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2003
    Posts
    367
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Sakurako:
    They never provided girl sized patterns, even when the first doll patterns came out and the girl-sized clothes were still available
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Unless I'm crazy, I swear I've seen girl-sized Pleasant Company patterns on e-bay (however rarely). And they go for high dollars!

    Linda

  5. #5
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    they DID make girl sized patterns, not right away, and not for long!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member mom_to_an_americangirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2003
    Posts
    248
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    They made girl sized patterns for about a year. They were quite advanced to sew and command top dollar on eBay

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •