Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm sorry you lost your vacation day due to this guy but you did the right thing. That was very scary and it's better you lose 'just' a vacation day than the money and/or you or your mom get harmed in any way by a possible robbery. I'm sure you'll have a nice and safe AGP day come up soon.

thepidget

I'm so sorry, what a scary thing to happen to you! I think you did the right thing in going home. Also, I think it is good that you didn't confront him...the best thing to do is tell a guard or a cop. Even though it is hard for you to make too many trips, I do hope you get to go to AGPNY soon. I am glad you're safe, though!!! [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am so very sorry that this happened to you, but glad you are safe and sound. You did right not to confront this man. You just don't know what can set someone off. If there had been a policeman or security guard around at any of the shops you passed, you might have told them your concerns. But I think you made the right decision. Perhaps the new dolly you wanted to buy at AGP was looking out for you, and that little angel won't mind waiting for another day to go home with you!

prasnlrd

Whoa! You did the right thing! These are praying times! I had an AGPLA aborted trip today as I got Freeway lost. I guess my dilema/disappointment is minor compared to what happened to you and your Mom.

Our AGP day will come again soon; life happens sometimes...sad to say. I am just glad you and Mom are safe. [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/island.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/island.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How frightening! I think you did the second best thing. The best (IMO) would have been to go into a store and either a) Hung out there until the man went a way or b) Call their security. My only concern with going home is, then he knows where you live, which is kind of a scary thought.

Wow, some of the members' stories are really scary. I lived in (supposedly) the most dangerous place in Los Angeles for three years, and never had a problem - thank goodness. But I was super paranoid, because the worst thing to happen to me, was that a bad man tried to break into our house once when my mom and I were alone - no kidding! I was in highschool. My dad was working the night shift. About a half hour after he left to go to work (11:30 PM) our golden retriever on the back porch started barking. I woke my mom up to tell her what I was doing, and then went downstairs to let the dog in. I got to the back french doors when I noticed my dog wasn't trying to get in - she was facing the stairs to the porch, hackles raised and growling (which was wierd, because she was a super nice dog). Then I followed her line of sight and saw a man crouched on the stairs, wearing a hooded sweatshirt. So I turned and ran back upstairs, grabbed the phone, and my mom and I locked ourselves in her bedroom to call 911. Well, he couldn't get to the French doors, thanks to Maggie, but he went to another part of the porch she couldn't reach and started slamming on the door there, walking back and forth, back and forth, trying to find a way to get in. He didn't leave until the police came, and after the police left and we brought Maggie in, he came back again! Luckily, my dad came home soon and the man left for good. I know he was a serial offender because a week or so after it happened, they had a item on the news about him with a sketch - hooded sweatshirt and all - and mentioned he had attacked, or attempted to attack, several other women in our area. I was so thankful for our dog! I'd have never thought she could do that. I also thought it was weird he knew to come right after my dad had left for the night shift so we'd be alone - he had to have been watching the house for a while to know our schedule.

GreyMyst

Wow, I?m glad you are safe! You can never be too careful. Paranoid is just another word for prepared.

I was waiting for the bus one time and this guy snatched this really sweet old lady?s purse and knocked her down onto the sidewalk. She needed stitches. I was just walking up as he ran off, and barely missed him. I called the cops, but I don?t think he was ever caught.

With the rise in drug use sweeping this country (especially meth) comes a rise in crimes like robberies, muggings, theft, vehicular manslaughter. Desperate and sick people do stupid things and innocent people get hurt.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Being from Chicago, this is nothing uncommon to me. I've had family members be robbed after someone followed them HOME from the currency exchange, etc. I've had my purse snatched several times. I've even had the unfortunate experience of having my oldest son have a gun held to his head(at age 2) in broad daylight while a guy robbed me of my wallet and jewelry.

This is a horrifying world that we live in, and if home was the safest place for you to be, then I don;t blame you. All of the times it has happened to me, I wished that I had just stayed in bed that day.

I'm sorry that you missed AGP, but you and your mother's safety must come first.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry you missed out on your trip. [img]frown.gif[/img] But since you made it through safe, you did the right thing! If you hadn't had your mother with you, I would've said to try to get away from him (going to a well-trafficked store is a good idea, especially if you can call the police from there). But obviously walking away and getting lost in the crowd wasn't an option. Anyway, you're safe and that's what matters!

fly-away

Wow, some of the members' stories are really scary. I lived in (supposedly) the most dangerous place in Los Angeles for three years, and never had a problem - thank goodness. But I was super paranoid, because the worst thing to happen to me, was that a bad man tried to break into our house once when my mom and I were alone - no kidding! I was in highschool. My dad was working the night shift. About a half hour after he left to go to work (11:30 PM) our golden retriever on the back porch started barking. I woke my mom up to tell her what I was doing, and then went downstairs to let the dog in. I got to the back french doors when I noticed my dog wasn't trying to get in - she was facing the stairs to the porch, hackles raised and growling (which was wierd, because she was a super nice dog). Then I followed her line of sight and saw a man crouched on the stairs, wearing a hooded sweatshirt. So I turned and ran back upstairs, grabbed the phone, and my mom and I locked ourselves in her bedroom to call 911. Well, he couldn't get to the French doors, thanks to Maggie, but he went to another part of the porch she couldn't reach and started slamming on the door there, walking back and forth, back and forth, trying to find a way to get in. He didn't leave until the police came, and after the police left and we brought Maggie in, he came back again! Luckily, my dad came home soon and the man left for good. I know he was a serial offender because a week or so after it happened, they had a item on the news about him with a sketch - hooded sweatshirt and all - and mentioned he had attacked, or attempted to attack, several other women in our area. I was so thankful for our dog! I'd have never thought she could do that. I also thought it was weird he knew to come right after my dad had left for the night shift so we'd be alone - he had to have been watching the house for a while to know our schedule.[/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow-that must have been scary! Coinsidently my dog's name is Maggie too.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My mom met another elderly woman yesterday who was recently mugged in the same area. This poor woman was followed from the bank knocked down and badly hurt so we were very lucky. If i didn't notice that guy he might have gotten my whole 2 weeks pay and my mom's ss check. Of course, it's possible that he had no evil intentions and i wasted a perfectly good AG day. I have another vacation day on Friday but all the rain we've been having is making my medical problems worse and i doubt i'll be able to walk much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast