Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You've totally inspired me on the Orthdox Jew idea! I LOVE it! It's so cute. I think I'm going to make my AGT 25 a Jewish Girl, but not Orthdox. I want to get her a little Star of David necklace and everything! It's going to be so much fun! I also have the Urban outfit so that should look cute on her. I will still allow her to wear pants and everything [img]wink.gif[/img]

~Elle [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Edited to take out the last part. Sorry! [img]redface.gif[/img]

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ November 16, 2005 09:30 PM: Message edited by: *AG_iceskater* ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I already have 2 other dolls that are Jewish-Lindsey and Allison. They are both conservative/reform. The Orthodox culture is quite different. If I only had 1 Jewish doll I would not make her Orthodox but because I have 3 I wanted to make her unique. The star of david on Lindsey is the AG one that came with the menorah, but the one Rebekah and Allison are wearing I bought from a non-AG website that sells stuff made for AG dolls.

I highly suggest you check out www.galigirls.com . They make 18" dolls that are Jewish. All the clothes have long skirts and sleeves, and they sell stuff like a Shabbat kit that their dolls come with but you can also order seperately.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In my mind, my AGT 25 Mireille is Jewish. I didn't intend for her to be but it sort of happened that way. It's probably because the majority of my friends in Montreal are Jewish, and whenever I look at her I just naturally see her as being Jewish!

On a side note, I never knew that there were so many 18" doll clothes sites, much less ones that had accessories specifically for Jewish dolls! too cute [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

BTW, I wanted to mention that I live in an area where there are plenty of non-Jews and Jews of all denominations, from Hasidic(ultra-orthodox), to Modern Orthodox, to Conservative, Reconstructionist and Reform.

I had to think about it a little bit and I decided to make Rebekah modern Orthodox, not Hasidic. Hasidic Jewish children are encouraged not to be exposed to secular culture(TV, Movies, music, etc.) where Modern Orthodox live by the strict laws but can live in a secular society. I am a reform Jew and go to a reform Temple.

I've seen Orthodox girls walking around shopping centers, grocery stores, parks, etc with other girls their own age or with their families. I've also visited websites of Orthodox Jewish day schools where I learned about the strict rules in their student handbooks.

I've also been to many Hillel events(Hillel is a national Jewish organization for college students) including an all-weekend overnight event that went through Shabbat. These are commonly attended by Reform, Conservative and Orthodox young men and women. There is also a well-known magazine called the JUF that Jews of all denominations receive in the Chicago metro area. I am by no means an expert but just picked up what I've observed and what little I know about Judaism in general.

I don't plan on ever becoming Orthodox but I am still fascinated by the culture, especially of how children and young adults live their daily lives.

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ November 18, 2005 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Katie from IL ]</font>